My "new" 1930 Pierce Arrow

Joe Cocuzza

From my archives ( I have way to much stuff) these pages are from a Pierce Arrow Straight Eight data book ( that title is on the cover) dated January 1, 1930 .

Data books were small enough to fit in a salesman's pocket in his jacket so he could astound all the perspective customers with his outstanding knowledge . This book is 95 pages (!!!)

I am guessing but for every data book given to a dealership for a salesman to use ( maybe 5 maximum ?) there were hundreds of sales folders, flyers and catalogs printed. All much prettier with pictures and art work but now the data books if you can find them are somewhat scarce and have so much more information.

PIERCE1930datadrawing.jpg

• Like 6

Walt G, 

A bit of drift. I lucked into one of those salesman's data books for my Paige model 6-45! A lot of information in such a small pocket size book. I have often wondered how many car companies printed such books? I have only seen a handful of others over the years. Most likely, nearly all of them were thrown away within a couple years after the next model came along.

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

From my archives ( I have way to much stuff) these pages are from a Pierce Arrow Straight Eight data book ( that title is on the cover) dated January 1, 1930 .

Data books were small enough to fit in a salesman's pocket in his jacket so he could astound all the perspective customers with his outstanding knowledge . This book is 95 pages (!!!)

I am guessing but for every data book given to a dealership for a salesman to use ( maybe 5 maximum ?) there were hundreds of sales folders, flyers and catalogs printed. All much prettier with pictures and art work but now the data books if you can find them are somewhat scarce and have so much more information.

PIERCE1930datadrawing.jpg

Sent you a PM

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Walt G, 

A bit of drift. I lucked into one of those salesman's data books for my Paige model 6-45! A lot of information in such a small pocket size book. I have often wondered how many car companies printed such books? I have only seen a handful of others over the years. Most likely, nearly all of them were thrown away within a couple years after the next model came along.

Wayne, I know that Franklin, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Plymouth, Chrysler, Buick , Chevrolet , Oldsmobile, Cadillac, as well as others produced a salesman's data book . Some were stapled at the binding, others spiral ring bound , some loose leaf. I have one that has a small paste in area over something to correct /update what was said there.  As you state , not easy to locate, and I agree that once a year or so old they were discarded or stacked in a pile on a shelf in a closet to make room for the new years models that had the latest specs and information. Some were saved after the year was over because they may have yielded information when cars were sold used and customers for those may have had questions. They, like period photographs give a broad picture ( no pun intended) of what features the cars had even compared with others by the same manufacturer

this one on the 1930 P-A covers all series ( A,B,C) offered notes all body styles, wheelbases rear axle ratios etc.  Even notes the type of material the gas tank was made of ! (Terne plate 12 pound lead coated)

The data books  seem to have come about after WWI when there were a lot of men leaving the armed service with $ in their pockets that they earned and were in the market for a car and wanted to know more then what colors they came in. The more informed a salesman at a dealer was the better the chance a sale could be consummated.

Walt

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Really! I am disappointed.

But it is still a beautiful automobile!

So now I am adding to MY confused state.

I wanted to verify if the wheels were steel or wood so I took a magnet and guess what - now I believe they are wood (again) wheels because the magnet did not stick. It stuck everywhere else.

I hope I got this right this time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Really! I am disappointed.

But it is still a beautiful automobile!

I now think, again, that the wheels are wood because the magnet did not stick !!!!

Confused yet?

I am.

23 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Those wheels are the best metal version of wood spokes I've ever seen!

See above

• Thanks 1

Did a little bit more cleaning today.

And, guess what?

I was able to access behind the rear seat(s) and lo and behold what do you think was back there?

The side curtains to the car - the plastic "windows" are brittle but at least I have the curtains

DSCF5467.JPG

DSCF5464.JPG

DSCF5465.JPG

• Like 5

That chrome is coming back nicely! 

Solid older restorations are like the best of both worlds. They have a solid look and feel of a car that has been around for a long time (I get tired of the over-used word "patina"?). Without the fragility of a true original.  To me, fresh restorations, no matter how perfect they are, tend to look more like something new, and even 'plastic like'. Probably one of the main reasons (other than lack of dollars!) I never really got into show cars. That looks like it should clean up and look wonderful, and be a car that can be driven and truly enjoyed to the maximum!

Congratulations on finding the side curtains! Are they the originals? Or restoration remakes?

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Can we see photos of the splash pans in the engine compartment? I would like to see photos of the side curtains also. 👍👍

Don’t make any attempt to turn the car over with a battery. First things first. Put two ounces of thin oil, Desiel fuel, or atf down the plug holes. I would use atf if it were my car. Nothing else! No acetone or other concoctions. Joe, we should talk sometime this week. Ed.

8 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

That chrome is coming back nicely! 

Solid older restorations are like the best of both worlds. They have a solid look and feel of a car that has been around for a long time (I get tired of the over-used word "patina"?). Without the fragility of a true original.  To me, fresh restorations, no matter how perfect they are, tend to look more like something new, and even 'plastic like'. Probably one of the main reasons (other than lack of dollars!) I never really got into show cars. That looks like it should clean up and look wonderful, and be a car that can be driven and truly enjoyed to the maximum!

Congratulations on finding the side curtains! Are they the originals? Or restoration remakes?

No sure about the side curtains (original or not). I will have to be very careful removing them from the storage area. Then I can take a better look.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 11:52 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Pics of the Pierce coming home today

DSCF5418.JPG

DSCF5417.JPG

DSCF5416.JPG

DSCF5415.JPG

DSCF5414.JPG

Okay people, let's see how attentive you are.

Looking at these pictures can anyone tell me what is incorrect on the car?

I was unsure myself until I looked at a bunch of other Pierce Arrows on line. As a matter of fact I questioned it the day I got the car.

Oh Yeah!!!!  No booby prize will be awarded. Just a chance to show off your knowledge and keen eyes.

No hints right now......

Strangely, the car is missing the top saddles...........thus the top can not be put down. 

Rear tires only have 14.7 pounds of air pressure............they need 40. 😜

Whats up with the 1934 engine? 

Bet that made your heart skip a beat! 😝

Just because your new, doesn’t mean we won’t bust your balls! 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Strangely, the car is missing the top saddles...........thus the top can not be put down. 

Rear tires only have 14.7 pounds of air pressure............they need 40. 😜

Whats up with the 1934 engine? 

Bet that made your heart skip a beat! 😝

Just because your new, doesn’t mean we won’t bust your balls! 

Ed,

Don't do that to me !!!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Sometimes, I like to make a fool of myself. Prove that I am not as smart as some people think I think I am.

Maybe stick my neck out and see how far off I can be?

The trim work on top of the body sides alongside the rear seat isn't finished off properly?

Nope. That's not the answer I was looking for.

Maybe I shouldn't have opened a can of worms here and have everyone pointing out many more faults with the car other than what I can see. I don't want to be discouraged by the experts ravaging my car.

I will say that the "mistake" is on the outside of the car - I hope I am right in saying something is wrong but from all of the pictures I have looked at it is incorrect.

7 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Ed,

Don't do that to me !!!!!!

Joe......just trying to welcome you and make you feel like one of the regulars. We could do a personality profile for you also if you like. 😎

Under look looks exceptionally correct..........I only see one possible issue, it’s an easy fix, and I can’t be sure because the photo isn’t clear. Top saddles are missing, and it’s common that they are on touring cars. It’s been a while since I played with a 1930.......if memory serves me they are external and hang off the top of the coachwork.......which means no paint or body work to deal with..........thus an easy fix, once you fabricated them.

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Joe......just trying to welcome you and make you feel like one of the regulars. We could do a personality profile for you also if you like. 😎

Under look looks exceptionally correct..........I only see one possible issue, it’s an easy fix, and I can’t be sure because the photo isn’t clear. Top saddles are missing, and it’s common that they are on touring cars. It’s been a while since I played with a 1930.......if memory serves me they are external and hang off the top of the coachwork.......which means no paint or body work to deal with..........thus an easy fix, once you fabricated them.

Ed,

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about because I cannot visualize what they look like?

Joe

On 8/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, Walt G said:

Wayne, I know that Franklin, Pierce Arrow, Packard, Plymouth, Chrysler, Buick , Chevrolet , Oldsmobile, Cadillac, as well as others produced a salesman's data book . Some were stapled at the binding, others spiral ring bound , some loose leaf. I have one that has a small paste in area over something to correct /update what was said there.  As you state , not easy to locate, and I agree that once a year or so old they were discarded or stacked in a pile on a shelf in a closet to make room for the new years models that had the latest specs and information. Some were saved after the year was over because they may have yielded information when cars were sold used and customers for those may have had questions. They, like period photographs give a broad picture ( no pun intended) of what features the cars had even compared with others by the same manufacturer

this one on the 1930 P-A covers all series ( A,B,C) offered notes all body styles, wheelbases rear axle ratios etc.  Even notes the type of material the gas tank was made of ! (Terne plate 12 pound lead coated)

The data books  seem to have come about after WWI when there were a lot of men leaving the armed service with $ in their pockets that they earned and were in the market for a car and wanted to know more then what colors they came in. The more informed a salesman at a dealer was the better the chance a sale could be consummated.

I have a few years of Studebaker Salesman's Data Books.  The truck ones were most informative, showing everything, even charts on what a bushel of grain weighed, and the size of stake body he would need to haul it.  They were in loose-leaf binders, and generally, the binder was held onto for several years, while the contents were updated on an annual basis.  I even have some that were never inserted into the binder.  That is correct, the Used Car department at the dealership often got at least one copy of discarded inserts at then end of the current model year, and would sometimes have a ten-year pile of Data Book inserts.  

Unlike the Color & Upholstery binders (another topic in itself) which usually sat out on a table in the showroom, these more informative Data Books always remained in a salesman's office, or suit pocket.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Ed,

Is what you said true about not being able to put the top down because the top saddles are missing?

I will probably never put the top down anyway.

Also, do you have any pictures of the top bows from inside the car?

Thanks,

Joe

1 hour ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

Ed,

Is what you said true about not being able to put the top down because the top saddles are missing?

I will probably never put the top down anyway.

Also, do you have any pictures of the top bows from inside the car?

Thanks,

Joe

I was planning to put the top down when I test drive it.........🤔

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't laugh.....look at our shop motto below where it lists my cars and clubs..........

"Drive it like you stole it!"

Nice find! Usually best to see the real thing. Photos, copies, other people' curtains you hope were the same are all one thing. Maybe your trimmer can get the details right? Maybe not. Cars varied a lot, year to year, model to model, even month to month. Details changed. Having the originals and you can have proper copies made.  

Beautiful Pierce! Take care of you also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Nice find! Usually best to see the real thing. Photos, copies, other people' curtains you hope were the same are all one thing. Maybe your trimmer can get the details right? Maybe not. Cars varied a lot, year to year, model to model, even month to month. Details changed. Having the originals and you can have proper copies made.  

Beautiful Pierce! Take care of you also.

Thanks Wayne

Messing around with the paint a little

Also, I "fixed" the exterior door handles. They were facing the wrong way. 

Was able to get 7 of the 8 plugs out and started soaking the cylinders.

The last plug to remove, cylinder #4, is being stubborn but I'll get it out

I just need to find a 15/16th deep socket to help coax it along.

One question: Are the radiator shutters thermostatically controlled?

DSCF5474.JPG

DSCF5473.JPG

The winter front is controlled by a shutter thermostat in the top tank of the radiator.........don’t worry, it’s not working! Just the joy of an early car. Nothing 400 bucks won’t fix...........😎

You need some hood door latch levers........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)