1965 Buick Lesabre questions

60s GM Fan

So while I'm patiently waiting for the 1968 Riviera that I purchased to have its engine rebuilt (its been a very long 2 months) I've been eyeballing some other models of the era in case I want to throw in the towel and get my funds back.  There's a really nice 1965 Lesabre for sale that's fairly close to where I live.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles the Riviera has but it has a sporty look and A/C which I like.  Can anyone here tell me which one is the better vehicle and if so why?  I'm sorta weighing in my options here since I'm becoming a little impatient.  I really like the Riviera I purchased but boy...this is taking far too long...

There is no comparison between a Riv and a LeSabre, the Riv will give you more performance, more comfort, more of everything.  The Riv was the cats meow in the day, the LeSabre was the car people bought if they wanted a full size Buick but couldn't afford a Wildcat or Electra.  While some LeSabre's can be nicely optioned most came pretty basic. If it's a LeSabre Custom with the 400 package it would be a nice car, just not Riv level.   All things equal in condition the Riv will always be worth more and easier to sell 

Edited by Y-JobFan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The LeSabre could have a 300 Cubic inch engine or a 401. The Riv has a 430 Cubic inch engine. 

The LeSabre could have a two speed automatic ( a 300 Trans I think?) Or a Switch Pitch Turbo 400.  The Riviera will have a Turbo 400. 

The LeSabre having AC is a plus if the system works.  I assume your Riv doesn't have AC?  In this case it will probably be near the same costs to refurbish the 65's system or install an aftermarket system into the Riv.  But the aftermarket system will be configured to run with current refrigerants while the 65's will be configured to run with the R-12 refrigerant. Switching the 65's to current refrigerants ( 134-a) is possible however it will not cool as well as the R-12 system. 

The LeSabre will have more trunk room than the Riv, if that is important.

Both cars can be had either devoid of options or loaded with em.  You'd have to see them both to compare. 

The Riv will likely have more parts available since they were collectible before the LeSabre was considered collectible.  

You will find more Rivs at your local shows than any of those those LeSabres. 

Both cars are very stylish, and well built.  

The Lesabre I'm eyeballing is a 400 with a tachometer and AM/FM radio as well.

The Riviera was not running right when I went to go pick it up.  I took it back to the shop and they found two pistons showing low compression (imagine that).  They offered to rebuild it for split cost and when they began tearing it down they found it had already been bored over .30 and whomever had done it did a not so awesome job of doing it.  Now according to the machine shop its .40 over and it should be an excellent engine once they are done...problem is they keep telling me a week or two and when that time comes...nothing.

Gilbert--the 65 Lesabre was a new body  for that year, and as you say do have nice looks different to the Riviera,

with the A/C---, not as high spec as riv,   but if you really like it ----go for it---cars are funny things, they are a little

like people-----you either like them or dont like them.

Do your home work on the Lesabre , service records, history, ownership ,rust probably no problem in Arizona,

When your riv returns---and you have by then both cars,----who knows you may decide to sell the riv and keep

the Lesabre.

Il tell you something i have experianced over the years, i have owned  11 Buicks from 1939 to 1991.

every one  ,the engine had never been pulled or reconditioned from new, and i never had a  major engine  problem with any.

good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 68RivPearle said:

The Lesabre I'm eyeballing is a 400 with a tachometer and AM/FM radio as well.

The Riviera was not running right when I went to go pick it up.  I took it back to the shop and they found two pistons showing low compression (imagine that).  They offered to rebuild it for split cost and when they began tearing it down they found it had already been bored over .30 and whomever had done it did a not so awesome job of doing it.  Now according to the machine shop its .40 over and it should be an excellent engine once they are done...problem is they keep telling me a week or two and when that time 

Does the LeSabre have bucket seats? A factory am fm radio is like finding gold in those things because the angle of the radio face plate is unique. So tach, am fm. Bucket seats. A 400 which has the 3speed switch pitch tranny,  and working factory AC.  Which engine?  What color?  Please, let me know if you decide not to pursue it.  65s are a soft spot for me. 

• Like 1

You might kindly ask what else they might have found in the Riv's engine that is taking more time.  Politely so!  Did they send the block to a machine shop for the clean-up over-bore to .040" or are they doing it themselves?  If they sublet that job to a machine shop, off-site, the machine shop might have suddenly gotten busier than normal, resulting in a longer wait time.  Or might it be a parts issue?  Even the +.040" pistons, which is something of an odd size, all things considered.

The OTHER thing is that as they are splitting the bill with your, you're on "their time", so to speak.  Let them do their deal and be patient as to do otherwise might compromise the whole deal a bit.

IF you have the funding and space to store the '65, get it if it will calm your mind.  The '65 LeSabres were nice cars, no matter the size of the engine.  One with buckets, tach, AM/FM, and a/c would be a nice investment, by any measure.  Not quite to the level of a Riv, but also a car that is now seldom seen anywhere.

Certainly LeSabres were the "entry level" Buick, but with the right options and colors, they could be very nice cars, no doubt about it.

Just some thoughts and observations,

NTX5467

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For 1965 Lesabre engines are 300 cubic inches.  2 versions available.  Base version used a 2 bbl carb.  210 HP. 3 speed column shift or ST 300 auto trans.  Lesabre 400 option got you the 4 bbl carb rated at 250 HP plus the ST 400 3speed automatic plus dual exhaust.   For the 401  cubic inch engine you moved up to the Wildcat.

John D1956 correct on the rarity of the factory AM FM due to the curved radio dial.  I got one years ago from an Electra being parted out. Hope your Riv engine turns out well.

• Like 1

11 months, if they worked on it for half a day every week they would have about 176 hours in the job. $100 per hour is not unreasonable for a good shop. At $17,600 it seems like a red flag would be waving.

That is why I am a firm believer in paying up for time and materials to date every Friday on a long term job.

I am pretty sure my wife could go into the shop quite a few Fridays, find no invoice, no hours, and no labor, but she would be friendly, polite, and very non-threatening. Me, well, my nephew would have backed his trailer up to the door with a big smile on his face and say "Do you want me to tell you exactly what Uncle Bernie said?"

DuckTales Season 2 Episode 17 Review: What Ever Happened to Donald Duck?! -  Den of Geek