1929 Dodge Brothers North East Speedometer Odometer issue

I have an issue with a 1929 NE Speedometer wherein the odometer numbers want to rotate as a group. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is interesting to watch as it happens. I haven't dissected it yet, but does anyone have any guesses as to why this might happen and how to repair it? 

RichBad's disassembly of a nearly identical unit seen here might hold the clue:

11 hours ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

I have an issue with a 1929 NE Speedometer wherein the odometer numbers want to rotate as a group. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is interesting to watch as it happens. I haven't dissected it yet, but does anyone have any guesses as to why this might happen and how to repair it? 

RichBad's disassembly of a nearly identical unit seen here might hold the clue:

I had to pull mine to bits and clean it all up. It took a while to get it all right they are fiddley bloody things. 

I believe the end of the odometer drum is keyed to the pot metal frame and prevents it from rotating as a whole. Mine did that years ago.  I can’t remember if I  made some shims to move the drum over towards the key ( pot metal frame was expanding causing looseness) or if it was adjustable. 

• Like 1

Is it the main odometer numbers that are all moving together or the trip meter numbers (on the right)?

The ones on the left have a pin on the brass end plate that engages in a slot in the housing - if that’s missing or not engaged the whole lot will turn together.

The ones on the right are linked to a thin metal plate which engages in a small square hole in the body - that’s less likely to be the issue.  Also, the trip reset mechanism can allow all the trip numbers to rotate together if not set correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

It's the main odometer numbers that are all moving together. I agree, that pin needs to be inspected. But after seeing the bloody wreckage in the above photo, maybe I should reconsider any further investigation!

Ok, sometimes when the pot metal moves, the two support arms can move apart and the pin comes out of engagement.  You could potentially do a band aid by gluing it to stop the disc spinning.  Would be hard to take apart but if your pot metal is bad you probably wouldn’t want to anyway.  It’s not too hard to replace the pot metal with a replacement body.

That looks to be in great condition as far as the pot metal goes. The one in my sedan was like that. Funny how one can completely crumple and then another is like new. I guess it depended on how much crap went into the pot metal mix on the day. 

If you pull yours apart carefully you should be good. Just lay it all out as you go and take lots of pics. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mattml430 said:

That looks to be in great condition as far as the pot metal goes. The one in my sedan was like that. Funny how one can completely crumple and then another is like new. I guess it depended on how much crap went into the pot metal mix on the day. 

If you pull yours apart carefully you should be good. Just lay it all out as you go and take lots of pics. 

The different amount on deterioration may have to do with the climate the speedometer spent it's life in. I think a lot of heat and cold expansion may have more stress on the pot metal than say a full time moderate climate would.

stakeside-

"Not sure how to remove main shaft. It is frozen solid."

Trying to understand the problem. Are you referring to the shaft that your speedometer cable connects to?  If so, I am correct in assuming you were attempting to rotate that shaft manually (with a small screwdriver or whatever) and it refuses to rotate? I am also assuming you have soaked it in your favorite penetrating oil and it still wont budge?

50 minutes ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

stakeside-

"Not sure how to remove main shaft. It is frozen solid."

Trying to understand the problem. Are you referring to the shaft that your speedometer cable connects to?  If so, I am correct in assuming you were attempting to rotate that shaft manually (with a small screwdriver or whatever) and it refuses to rotate? I am also assuming you have soaked it in your favorite penetrating oil and it still wont budge?

It’s soaking now. Correct, using a screwdriver I can not move shaft.

There appears to be a small retainer holding on the disc in the back. Not sure how to remove it.

Mine was in about the same shape and it also had a frozen main shaft. I think as the pot metal expands it starts to squeeze the shaft. I freed mine up by carefully warming up the pot metal using a heat gun, slowly it started to move. I fed some light oil mixed with timesaver lapping compound into the oil wick hole while slowly spinning it with a adapter I made and a drill. After a few hours of this she was good as new. A good cleaning and lube and she has been working good for years now. 

2 hours ago, stakeside said:

Not sure how to remove main shaft. It is frozen solid.

do not want to pry on pot metal.

The holes in front and back had a fiber material that I removed.

It may be the removal of the large disc on back side is the key to this puzzle.

6A9BB13D-3007-4818-BF58-E2BBE5B1F668.jpeg.a59ee91a98142066e95b1457b0081bef.jpeg

6E219C67-5BC0-4D5D-9B39-B3A059E780D8.jpeg.8626e544ea39d605db8a143a6ec2f40e.jpeg

Not sure about this model but on mine, the main shaft is held in with a collar that is inserted over the shaft from the Speedo cable end.  I removed using a small pin punch tapping in the centre of the shaft whilst holding the body.  You would probably want to free up your shaft first though.

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)
  • Like 1