'65 interior Q

RIVNIK

What is the proper divider between the interior & the trunk on the '65 Riv?  Looks like there should be a piece of trunk cardboard or other material probably mounted   inside the trunk. Mine came w nothing when I bought it 26 yrs ago & I'm just now getting around to doing something about it. Just don't know what should be there. 

thanks, Drew

Drew,

Well it's not just cardboard although it kinda looks like it is, but made of a slightly thicker material. Go to a home center near to you & use your imagination to come up with a replacement part. What the part does is help keep the niose level down is it's ONLY fuction.

Should have said one of it's ONLY functions.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)

I made a new one from some heavy black cardboard type material and jute I got from my interior guy. Here are some pics of the original and the new one. 

One thing, it kind of made the trunk area air tight and the trunk lid is a little harder to close.

Hope this helps, 

Brian

183E3F3D-0D1F-4C88-B3CC-0746C3B1F0EC.jpeg

E05DED4B-710F-495E-A18C-081C5DAF0C59.jpeg

5784C37C-32F9-4A79-88B6-313BBFDFC7E0.jpeg

FA733927-0D48-42B3-A039-4E6AC3987201.jpeg

F678DC2C-4983-42E9-8E30-4867C517358C.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks to all you guys for the quick response & great pics, w the grand prize going to 71GS of course!  Excellent work, Brian. I am off to the Depot. My goal is to reproduce your divider panel as close as possible. Q: in the installed pic it appears as though you intentionally made the piece wider than the opening & then scored & beveled the sides so it wedges in perfectly. Is that what aI'm seeing? If so, thanks for setting the bar so high! By the way, could you box that thing up & send it to me to use as a template?    

Thanks again,  Drew

18 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Thanks to all you guys for the quick response & great pics, w the grand prize going to 71GS of course!  Excellent work, Brian. I am off to the Depot. My goal is to reproduce your divider panel as close as possible. Q: in the installed pic it appears as though you intentionally made the piece wider than the opening & then scored & beveled the sides so it wedges in perfectly. Is that what aI'm seeing? If so, thanks for setting the bar so high! By the way, could you box that thing up & send it to me to use as a template?    

Thanks again,  Drew

Hey Drew, thanks.

Yes, you’re correct, the edges were perforated on the original so I tried to duplicate that. Zoom in on the pic of the original one. I scored and folded the new board,It fits in there tight. Take your time, you’ll get it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian

Nice work, Steve! better punch some air holes in that trunk lid for your next victim. And thanks for the revelation.  After a quarter century of trunk slammin' I finally learn the source of the problem!

On 7/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, Rivdrivn said:

Mine is a bit of overkill. Deadens sound nicely but does make the trunk harder to close. Ain’t nobody getting out of there alive, but at least I won’t have to listen to the screams. Lol

A0DD3123-5216-41A3-BB43-FE5E3709D629.jpeg

Who did your package tray? My 65 is getting to the point that a new one would be nice, but many of the replacements are kind of shoddy, I have heard.