Several 20's Chevrolets on auction, unknown reserves - not mine

Classicautomall always seems to have some interesting cars. They also seem to want a bit much for what most of the ones I looked at were like. The 1904 Cadillac is really interesting, but they have been trying to sell that one for several years now. The bunch of Chevrolets they have been showing lately make me wonder if they picked up a small collection? I don't know, but interesting. If I were about three thousand miles closer? I would probably have to go see the place.

My understanding is that they are a consignment shop. That said there may be a number of cars that are theirs. I live half hour or so to the south, and travel in the area on just about a weekly basis. Been by it a hundred times never had the chance to stop in. One of these days!  They have a car cruise on wednesday nights that I have been wanting to hit up as well. The prices on a lot of the cars seem high, I know of a person that bought a car there that did indeed have an asking price about 15% higher than it should have been. This person put in an offer and the dealer told them they had no haggle room. They were called back in a week or so and the offer was accepted. I have also been told that the place is very 'user friendly' as far as someone just wanting to spend the day looking around. The staff is supposed to be really good as well.

• Like 1

Perhaps like the Volo “Museum “ I have mentioned not too far from me. They charge admission to view the cars on display whether the dealer owns them or individual customers do. Might still have a membership available that has free admission included. They are part(or maybe own) a couple of buildings that are packed full of Antique shops and the like.  User friendly as well.

After reading a bunch of online reviews..I'd pass on the place on all counts..

They always have Ebay auctions going and many car bids max out far above what sight unseen cars usually sell for these days in any condition ..They never get close to the reserve which must be no less the floor price if you vist the sight.

• Like 1

The manger of this place was on a radio show, run by a couple of AACA members.  He said that for the first 90 days, they will list the car, at what ever price the owner asks for.  After that, they will try to get the owner to lower the price.  This guy said, that last month, they sold 108 cars.  So I guess Ebay is not where they sell most of there cars.  The manger also said they are on 65 different web sites.  The one question not asked on the show was, How much do they charge?

You would think dealers would do the research to learn more about the cars they are trying to sell. I see that in a lot of ebay and other ads.

This 1927 Chevrolet "Roadster" is actually a "Sport Cabriolet", a lot rarer and probably more desirable than a roadster. Chevrolet was a little loose with the "Cabriolet" name as the top doesn't really fold back as a true cabriolet would, but it looks like a cabriolet. 

The "Roadster" was an entirely different body with a drop-top, side curtains instead of roll down windows and no rumble seat.

This car has a 1928 head (2 exhaust ports) which means the head or the entire engine have been swapped - a popular upgrade seen on many/most 1927 Chevies.

1927 Chevrolet Capitol Roadster

This "1926 Coupe" is neither a 1926 nor a coupe. It's another 1927 Sport Cabriolet. The painted radiator shell is probably from a truck and this one also has the 1928 2-port head.

The coupe and the sport cabriolet were the same from the belt molding down and look very much alike, but the coupe had a hard, fixed roof covered with fabric and a glass window. The sport cabriolet  haad a soft top dupported with top bows with a plastic rear window. It looked like it would fold but didn't. (In 1928 the roof did fold). The roof, doors, etc. were about three inches taller than the cabriolet and the  windshield rolled up instead of folding out as you see here. A rumble seat was not available on the coupe.

1926 Chevrolet Capitol Coupe

The most important  factor aside from the lack of titles is the condition of the body wood which is not dressed in the ads. Overall, though the cars look like mostly untouched restoration candidates that could be a good value if the price is right.

Don

• Like 2