New '55 Special Owner

Hello all -

Thought I'd introduce myself, and my car!

I recently bought a 1955 Buick Special - its a car I've always liked, but aside from a day back when I was around 18, I've never found the right car at the right time.  Back when I was 18, and I had no cars, no car experience and no money, I was looking for a classic car (and why not, clearly "young, inexperienced and broke" is the perfect time to get a classic car). I had my heart set on a 1957 Chevy, but one day as I was driving home (in my '84 dodge omni) I saw this car by the side of the railway track. Unbeknown to me, it was a 1955 Buick. It was green and white, in need of restoration, but for sale. I liked everything about it, but I'd been told that sticking to plain ol' Chevy or Ford would be a wiser choice for me, and so I stuck to my original idea. In a week, she was gone, and that was the last '55 Buick I'd come across, until last week.

Fast forward some decades, and somewhat randomly, this '55 Buick pops up on my feed, and even though the add was really old - as in 30-odd weeks - I followed up anyway, and it goes without saying, it was a good thing I did.  My '55 isn't precisely stock in that the original 265 was replaced with a rebuilt 322  -  what I believe would have been a 1956 Century engine. The Dynaflow was rebuilt, as was the rear end.  Right now, she has some backfiring, running quite rich and the delivery driver ruined my radius rod, but, aside from those grumbles, she's in decent shape.  Will need new tires though, and MAYBE....wires.

I did eventually get my 1957 Chevy, when I was 18. Still have it today, still "under construction", the first car I ever bought with my own money and had in my own name. Both these 1950's cousins share their space with a handful of other cars, from Mustangs to E-Type Jaguars.

Buick front.jpg

Buick side.jpg

57.jpg

Edited by Treozen (see edit history)
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, TexasJohn55 said:

PS: having door handles  sure makes it easier to open the back doors.

LOL  - Yes! I shaved them on my '57, and its a never ending pain to open the rear doors. The '57 is a post sedan though, so to get the look I needed to paint the posts and lose the rear handles - I was also 18 and stock was ....boring. If I were to go back in time, I'd leave her stock, but as a learning car, it was a great experience. She's going through a 2nd "refurbishment" right now - in that picture there, none of the seats are attached - I haven't actually figured out HOW to attach them yet, but I built a custom console...so they're going in somehow!

• Like 1

Nice looking Buick.  I think it looks good in black; also like the 4DHT, like my '56 Chevy.  There's a green '55 Special a mile or so from me that I see around here frequently.  Welcome to the Buick bunch!  ;)

15 hours ago, EmTee said:

Nice looking Buick.  I think it looks good in black; also like the 4DHT, like my '56 Chevy.  There's a green '55 Special a mile or so from me that I see around here frequently.  Welcome to the Buick bunch!  ;)

Thanks. At first, I was going to do white under the trim, in the traditional two-tone theme, but now that I see it, I'm thinking about leaving it as-is.

15 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

Welcome !

55 Buick always look great in black !

I had buick wire wheels on my first 56 Buick

Special and they were hard to keep clean.

You won't be driving yours everyday like I did

but wires really like good when shiny .

Picture was 1961 !!!

Bill

IMG_3465.JPG.3563249a6494cdf2a6b29f38ded354bf.jpg.bd41cc625ccb4f9a3b15a8f6406b87ee.jpg

Wire wheels are a pain, but I've got a set on three other cars, so....whats one more at this point 😉

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...