1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible in "orange"

There are always plenty of a 76 Eldorados for sale.    One of the very first "instant" collectibles.    I notice any instance where the car is not Red or White.  I've never seen this color before.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-cadillac-eldorado-57/

This 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible was purchased by the seller’s late uncle in May 2016 and later acquired by the seller in November 2019. The car is is finished in orange over tan upholstery, and is powered by a 500ci V8 paired with a three-speed automatic transaxle. Equipment includes a power-operated tan soft top, steel 15″ wheels with covers, air conditioning, cruise control, a power-adjustable split-bench front seat, electric windows, and a push-button AM/FM radio. This final-year Eldorado convertible is now offered by the seller on behalf of the late owner’s estate with two boot covers and a clean Missouri title.

161832467866e7dff9f98764da20200615_08463

• Like 3

Had a Monte Carlo, 73 in that color.  The distinction of worst car I have ever owned.  Leaky sunroof, ran like a smogged out clunker, lots of minor PITA problems, noisy factory fake wire wheelcovers,  & on a quiet night you could hear it rust.  The icing on the cake, it was this color.  My plan to "clean it up a bit and paint it" never materialized.  Thank God.

Not the worst color ever but on an Eldo, if one wants to be different a dark emerald green would be pretty cool, or even primrose like pale yellow.  

I actually like this on the vettes though, same era.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just recently, a 1974 Eldorado convertible in the

same or a very similar color was noted on our forums.

It's still for sale.

I like the color.  Convertibles in red and white are too common.

In 1974, the color was called "Victorian Amber Firemist":

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I like the color.  Convertibles in red and white are too common.

In 1974, the color was called "Victorian Amber Firemist":

It would be interesting to know the actual production numbers,  but my guess is that 60-70% of total production was either Red or White.

Personally,  I want black on black on black.   Not very useful in the heat,  but it looks awesome!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It would be interesting to know the actual production numbers, 

but my guess is that 60-70% of total production was either Red or White.

I had a '73 Eldorado convertible.  When I got the

color and upholstery album, it had a photocopied 

sheet in it that gave production percentages for the

various colors for the various models. 

I think the figures were from the previous year, 1972.

They were given so ordering dealers would know what

people liked.  I wish I could find that sheet.  All I remember

is that the least favorite color for an Eldorado convertible

was dark gray.  That makes sense, because dark gray

is a somber color and a convertible is not a somber car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

It would be interesting to know the actual production numbers,  but my guess is that 60-70% of total production was either Red or White.

Personally,  I want black on black on black.   Not very useful in the heat,  but it looks awesome!

The GM Heritage Center has data books available online for some of the '70's Cadillacs, including a percentage breakdown of how many cars were painted a particular color. They had one for my '71 Eldorado (Oxford Gray, 0.8%).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suchan said:

The GM Heritage Center has data books available online for some of the '70's Cadillacs, including a percentage breakdown of how many cars were painted a particular color. They had one for my '71 Eldorado (Oxford Gray, 0.8%).

It would be very interesting.

I've never seen that information in the dealers'

data books, but surely G. M. has it somewhere.

Suchan, can you provide a link to the part of that

website that specifically has those production percentages? 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

9 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be very interesting.

I've never seen that information in the dealers'

data books, but surely G. M. has it somewhere.

Suchan, can you provide a link to the part of that

website that specifically has those production percentages? 

I couldn't find a data book for 1976, but here's one for 1974:https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1974_Cadillac_VVI.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, suchan said:

Very interesting.  Here is the Eldo chart.  I didn't include the optional firemist colors as that was more work,  but you get the idea.    I think for 76 you would see that Red number doubled based on my empirical data.

74CaddyColorChart.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Had a Monte Carlo, 73 in that color.  The distinction of worst car I have ever owned.  Leaky sunroof, ran like a smogged out clunker, lots of minor PITA problems, noisy factory fake wire wheelcovers,  & on a quiet night you could hear it rust.  The icing on the cake, it was this color.  My plan to "clean it up a bit and paint it" never materialized.  Thank God.

Not the worst color ever but on an Eldo, if one wants to be different a dark emerald green would be pretty cool, or even primrose like pale yellow.  

I actually like this on the vettes though, same era.

I was offered an Emerald green 76 Eldo convert. this week. Decent car, but needs time and money spent on it. I have neither.

junpics9 007.jpg

• Like 1

These '70's Eldos are still cheap enough that it doesn't make sense to buy a fixer, because some of the fixes are quite expensive and it's difficult to find mechanics familiar with them (climate control, scissor top, etc.).

The mid-70's cars are nice, but the early '70's offer a LOT more HP and a less-boxy look. Whatever your taste.

In any case, they're all superb cruisers, and I'm betting they won't be cheap forever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I was offered an Emerald green 76 Eldo convert. this week. Decent car, but needs time and money spent on it. I have neither.

They are plentiful.   No need to buy something that needs that much work. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 7:17 PM, alsancle said:

They are plentiful.   No need to buy something that needs that much work. 

Yes, I agree! The bumper fillers are expensive and don't fit. I'm not going to buy it.

• Like 1

There's quite a few for sale as always. A project one is only feasible if you put zero value on your time and do it for the enjoyment and the drivability of one when sorted out. They are very comfortable and capable cruisers.

I actually like the off the beaten path colors on cars. As some of you may recall,  I had a '62 Lincoln convertible for a while. It was a recolored car in white with a maroon interior. My plan was to change it to Chestnut metallic with a matching interior.  My tastes changed, the car sold and that was the end of it.  Not surprisingly,  I like this Eldo.

I think that color is GM code 60. Called Harvest Gold by Buick. I forget the name the other divisions that used it called it. I have two 1973 Gran Sport Stage1's that color. Had 3 at one time though the 3rd was repainted black when I got it.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)