Victory six Broken axle. (Doddy)

Pete is heading down here soon with my new axle so I thought I better check that’s all that I need. 
Seems that that’s the major problem for sure after I jacked it up and the whole wheel moved. Undid the bearing carrier and out it came all 8” off it. It’s a bit short now. 
I think it started when that lady crashed into me because that wheel hit the inner guard which must of cracked it. Rich came up with a good idea to get the rest of it out by sticking a bit of pipe over it that’s a tight fit. 5F5C7F61-9464-42B4-A24A-E1775D01A9E1.jpeg.81aa07d4d602432b25d2fef6da77e0a8.jpeg

9D50153A-0766-4440-981A-38EF85EEF300.jpeg.8b3145b32572349099ba17e3e7f9eafb.jpeg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Kenendcindyc said:

Hmmmm strange place to break, typically that’s not a highly stressed location. I’d agree maybe fractured from the impact you mentioned. 

Either that or it might of been the donuts Rich was doing in the gravel car park on the rally we went on. 😂

• Haha 1

I removed a broken stub by making a lasso using some heavy nylon string. I slipped the lasso around the stub and pulled. The harder I pulled, the tighter the lasso got. Nylon is strong and will tighten up well. Zeke

• Like 1

Rich gave me a hand yesterday and we got the axle out with his pipe idea. It worked a treat actually. 
Once Pete drops the new one off I’ll get it all back together and she’ll be good to go again. 

014D3AA5-3CB7-42DB-8AC1-FABDF7505193.jpeg

C1BE7E48-4DAC-454E-B550-9FE21829C723.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Lockdown number 5 has at least got old Doddy back together. Axles back in and all working well. Went in nicely with a couple of shims. Needed 1 less shim than it had originally. 
nice to have one back on the road that we can’t really take anywhere anyway. 🙄

• Like 4

Thanks mate your welcome to use it anytime but hopefully yours will be done soon. Tell the painter to pull his finger out.
Still got this flu lerking around but hopefully it will shift soon. 

Well!  it's good to hear that you have one on the road!

I'm still trying to get to WA  to catch up with Ron , who seem to have the same bug as you.

At present we are with friends in SA. And will plan the next attack to get across the boarder tomorrow! 

What happening with the Roadster? Have Shannon come to the party?

Well stay well!  Or in your case  get well !

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aunty norm said:

Well!  it's good to hear that you have one on the road!

I'm still trying to get to WA  to catch up with Ron , who seem to have the same bug as you.

At present we are with friends in SA. And will plan the next attack to get across the boarder tomorrow! 

What happening with the Roadster? Have Shannon come to the party?

Well stay well!  Or in your case  get well !

Terry

That’s good you got out just in time Terry. Hopefully you’ll have some success getting through tomorrow. 

Still waiting on Shannons to get back to me but that my fault as we only got the quote into them on Thursday. 

On 6/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, Kenendcindyc said:

Hmmmm strange place to break, typically that’s not a highly stressed location. I’d agree maybe fractured from the impact you mentioned. 

That's the exact place where the axle broke in my 1929 Dodge Brothers. It happened without any fanfare or warning. I was driving about 20 mph less than a block away from a car show, stopped at a stop sign and then nothing. No movement or sound other than the engine.  You might expect that snapping a hunk of steel over 1 inch in diameter would create some excitement.  AAA to the rescue.

• Like 1

If you look carefully at the picture you can see the progress of the break slowly cracking bigger and bigger over time till that last portion couldn’t take the torque any longer and finely snapped. The moon shaped piece is we’re it was slowly cracking probably started at what appears to be a inclusion in the steel. Until the last round bit snapped. 

78B38795-82CD-4350-A94D-AE0E574CA5A1.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenendcindyc said:

If you look carefully at the picture you can see the progress of the break slowly cracking bigger and bigger over time till that last portion couldn’t take the torque any longer and finely snapped. The moon shaped piece is we’re it was slowly cracking probably started at what appears to be a inclusion in the steel. Until the last round bit snapped. 

78B38795-82CD-4350-A94D-AE0E574CA5A1.jpeg

Totally agree I think that first little break might of happened when the lady crashed into me and drove up my running board. The inside of the tyre hit the inner guard. It would of completely maxed the suspension out. 

46 minutes ago, idrjoe_sandiego said:

Kenendcindyc:

Nice forensic axle rundown.  It makes sense that it happens over some time and would tend to explain why my axle broke without a sound. 

Ya that’s why they usually break “gently “ the amount of torque required to snap a axle that size due to sheer torque is huge. Like a drag car snapping a axle at the starting line it’s violent. When they just snap gently for no reason you can be sure the crack is slowly propagating threw the shaft for quite some time before the shaft just can’t handle normal torque and snaps. 

• Like 1