1935 Pontiac Coupe - Need door wood

RandyP

I have a 1935 Pontiac Coupe and looking for Information on getting Doors either re-worked or fine remanded parts all the wood in mine is shot. Please if anyone has information on where I can fine doors or door repair that would be great.

Randy 

I hate to be a downer but nobody makes kits. Nobody has patterns. There are people who can create the wood if you can get the car to them. I am out in Washington State and am not near any of them. I am having to learn to do it myself. What area are you located in?

Welcome to the forum from another Pontiac owner. Mine is a 1936 sedan.

I'm in Northern MN, I have my own shop and I've removed all the wood myself and have the tools to recreate, however with the doors its a little harder for sure. I'll keep looking. I have the body off frame getting it and frame sandblasted.  

• Like 1

My research on interchange usually ends up showing Pontiac and Chev in Hollanders, for instance, if thats true, then the info you seek may be easier than it may be at first glance. Nothing but Fords of that era seem to be like Legos however!

Hey  1935pontiac605sedanman, If you do take pictures inside any of your doors, I would love to see them too. Especially the back ones, and especially down low if there is wood left down there, but any internal door pics would be useful.

I would REALLY like to know how they implemented the drain where the bottom board goes to the bottom of the door. The sheetmetal has 2 drain holes in my 36 Pontiac, I have seen a 35 Chevy Master and it has one hole. One mystery to me is what they did to the bottom board to allow drainage. In the replacement boards I made, I cut a steep angle across the whole board, but I suspect that is not what they did originally because there are nail holes in the sheetmetal down there, and what I did doesn't leave much wood. You probably can't see that detail anyway unless you took your doors apart, but please take pics if you do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Randy 

If you can find decent 1935 Pontiac, Olds or LaSalle doors from a 4 door the wooden part of  door fronts ( from the top of the window to the bottom of the door)  are the same as your coupe.   This may help you out a bit.    My Dad and I restored a number of 35 Olds over the years (a coupe, a roadster and a sedan) plus we had a number of parts cars including 1935-36 Pontiacs . We stole parts from one car to fix the other. The 35's were all interchangeable with each other as were the 36's .        

DSC01335.JPG

DSC02028.JPG

• Like 3

Not sure if this has been discussed but if you are rebuilding a 4 door then the wood in the rear doors of a 35-36 Pontiac, 1935-36 Olds, 35-36 Chev Master are all identical and interchangeable with each other. 1935 doors fit 361363742927_Parts04.JPG.ce99a45e5d677a6ba73ecf84dab2c5f4.JPG.      

• Like 1

No, I read everything around here and I do not believe it has. I have rear doors on a 1936 Pontiac I need to fix, and there is very little wood left. It is so bad I do not have a pattern and I have had to reverse engineer how Fisher built the doors. Are you sure Chevrolet is the same? I have looked at a 35 Chevrolet Master (a friend owns one) and was not able to definitively tell if the wood would fit. None of the replacement wood suppliers do 1935-36 Chevrolet anyway. One difference that stood out was that the 35 Chevrolet had one drain at the bottom and the Pontiac had two. Speaking of those drains, do you have any bottom boards that are intact enough to see how they clearanced the wood for the drains?

If you can find a copy of the "Fisher Body Service Bulletin, Volume 2, Number 1 through 20" you will find detailed discussion of the Fisher body part by part.  The first six of seven bulletins discuss the wood framework of the standard 5 passenger sedan.  I suspect the AACA library has this.  Although not actual plans the discussion is quite detailed.

Not sure if this has been discussed but if you are rebuilding a 4 door then the wood in the rear doors of a 35-36 Pontiac, 1935-36 Olds, 35-36 Chev Master are all identical and interchangeable with each other. 1935 doors fit 361363742927_Parts04.JPG.ce99a45e5d677a6ba73ecf84dab2c5f4.JPG.      

If you are really stuck I believe I have 2 rear doors that still have good wood in them.

Usually it is the dog leg over the rear tire that fails first. 

Yes I believe the Chev Master is the same however I am 100% sure the Pontiac and Olds rear door wood is interchangeable for 1935 and 1936 as I've example of each in my parts barn.

Sadly I'm not close to you plus we have an international border to content with but I'll help you in any way I  can given the current Covid restrictions.

Cheers, Bill    

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

If you can find a copy of the "Fisher Body Service Bulletin, Volume 2, Number 1 through 20" you will find detailed discussion of the Fisher body part by part.  The first six of seven bulletins discuss the wood framework of the standard 5 passenger sedan.  I suspect the AACA library has this.  Although not actual plans the discussion is quite detailed.

Thank you. I will check into it.

I have seen the 1926-1931 Fisher Body manual, and it is by far the most detailed thing I have seen so far. Most of their construction methods didn't change. I have the 1935-36 FIsher body manual also, but it is basically useless. It seems the end was near and they just didn't bother to document anything.

2 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Thank you, though I have read all of those. There were some interesting tidbits, including some flavor of 1936 Chevrolet that has almost no wood in the sills or floor when compared to a Pontiac. I have never seen that mentioned anywhere else. Maybe it was the late 36 Standard, as those have all steel doors.

3 hours ago, Jewell55 said:

If you are really stuck I believe I have 2 rear doors that still have good wood in them.

Usually it is the dog leg over the rear tire that fails first. 

Yes I believe the Chev Master is the same however I am 100% sure the Pontiac and Olds rear door wood is interchangeable for 1935 and 1936 as I've example of each in my parts barn.

Sadly I'm not close to you plus we have an international border to content with but I'll help you in any way I  can given the current Covid restrictions.

Cheers, Bill    

I started to make the dog leg. I figured I would make those first because they look the most complicated. I bought some ash and laminated it together. The next step was to make the finger joint. I only have a general Idea what it was like. I have not been able to get the hinge pins out yet, and I need to get the lower hinges off to see whether there is a tenon left where the dog leg attaches or whether the repairs will have to go up even higher. There is still wood around the top. and the board with the window regulator is ok. The board on the outside is gone on both doors. There weren't even shards in the left door. Apparently someone vacuumed it out. I am in Washington State. I gather you are in Canada? Which province?

I'm located in Ottawa Ontario but my parts cars are located on the family farm 4 hours away from here.  I will be down at the farm for two weeks starting July 5.  Note while I'm there I have no internet access .

I'll dig out some rear doors and check the wood in them. 

I do remember I have a full set of 35 Pontiac doors  (4 door) but not sure of the wood condition plus I have at least two rear 35/36 Olds doors that maybe in fair to good condition.   

Which side are you struggling with or is it both?    

I may have a few pieces of 35 Pontiac sheet metal besides the doors such as a front shroud and hood etc.    I have a complete 1935 power train.  Do you need any other parts? 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A skilled wood worker with the help of the manuals and photos above, should be able to make something as good as the factory. I know a local man who made all the wood for an Auburn a few years ago. I believe the wood frames were made of ash. There should be someone in your area who can help even if he never worked on a car before.

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1935 Pontiac Coupe - Need door wood

The picture of the rear door shows a replacement dog leg as it’s not original. The water drain slots are simply dados cut in the wood at the hole locations. It seems I’m currently making a lot of wood and while it’s labor intensive, it’s not hard if you take your time and look at things. Even if you do things slightly different it can still work. The finger joints are the hardest as there’s no cutter made today that I know of that will cut that deep. They have to be made with a band saw. Another way would be to laminate the dog leg piece running pieces cross grain. The 35-36 doors have a lot less wood in them that the earlier cars. A 31-32’ cabriolet door has a lot in it for just a half door and it weighs a ton for example.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:28 AM, RandyP said:

I have a 1935 Pontiac Coupe and looking for Information on getting Doors either re-worked or fine remanded parts all the wood in mine is shot. Please if anyone has information on where I can fine doors or door repair that would be great.

Randy 

sent you a PM