1929 pontiac wood body construction and the struggles you encounter

i have been contacted for over 35 years about wood structure, the body wood and the most common question asked  is how to replace missing pieces i always reply choose the right wood (there is only one wood to use white ash nothing else will produce a lifetime product as ash produces very fine very little pourous wood to start for finished product secondly be-prepaired for a lot of waist that is why i use white pine cheap ad easy to model if this is tour first time and use a soft wood you will find no drawings with measurements once you overcome the challenge as i did you can obtain very good books of the wood structure for all models with no dimensions this is intentional as gm did not want computers to know it took me awhile the method i use to give you the answer as this is how i reproduce  mine eveyone has to learn the same way as i did no one helped me it has to do with body bolt location and distance between them the you calculate distance and then you can calculate width thickness curvature and angles i used a laser hooks up to drafting software to develope a digital picture and before you know you have every piece for the wood structure i now have a computer that can reproduce any wood part i need by cutting and shaping each perfect piece except no 2 cars are the same there is always a slight difference between cars so slite with this setup taking about 2 to 3 months to complete a full wood body replacement 

i do not sell my wood parts these are only four my restoration projects when i restore one 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to make a contribution on the subject of body wood remaking and sharing your experience and insite..

I'm sure there will be many who will gain from your artical.

Do not pay attention to any detractors who offer not one speck of any worthwhile reply.

Unfortunately if you don't spoon feed absolute literary perfection to some anal retentive folks ,it just ruins their day , and for some reason they have to make it known.

Poo,Poo on them.

• Thanks 2

I’m thinking this is a non English speaking person using a translator software.  It is educational in how he developed his software to make dimensions for the wood.  I too, at first couldn’t figure out what was being said but if you take your time it becomes apparent what it’s about.  21 century technology in use to fix nearly 100 yr old problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1929 pontiac coupe man, 

I noticed you need some periods. I have some extra and am loaning them to you for your next posting:

Please consider this a contribution, non-worthy but at least humorous

I have been getting 3-5 calls a week lately to make body wood. Two 32’ Olds, a 32’ pontiac, a 31’ pontiac, and a 30’ chevy that are on the agenda. The 30’ chevy is first up as I’ve already started on the mechanicals. But, when doing woodwork on one car, it’s logical to do all the woodwork since all the tools are out and set up. The current price of ash is double from what it was a year ago. I’m surprised at all the inquiries. Of course it’s the cost that ends up being the deciding factor for most on whether the inquiry goes to a project.