Clutch Pedal Sticks on Floor

C3 Garage

Working on a 1953 Chrysler T & C Wagon with a hemi and fluid drive transmission.  When disengaging the clutch, the clutch pedal sticks to the floor.  Can lift it with my foot and car drives fine.  Any suggestions or tips on adjusting it to release as designed?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bill

17 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

There should be a long return spring under the floor, maybe it is missing?

The overcenter spring is there, but that's the only spring I see that's involved with the clutch.

There is a grease fitting and it's been lubed

Will check more closely to see if the bushing is worn excessively.

Car is an older concours quality restoration.ks for the suggestions.  Hopefully, something reltively simple and I can figure it out.

Thanks so much for the tips and suggestions.

Thanks for the photo.  I really appreciate your help, but that looks quite different than the setup on the Chrysler.  I really think there would be a return spring.  Hopefully, someone will be able to enlighten me one way or the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C3 Garage said:

Thanks for the photo.  I really appreciate your help, but that looks quite different than the setup on the Chrysler.  I really think there would be a return spring.  Hopefully, someone will be able to enlighten me one way or the other.

Just got out my 1953 DeSoto book, don’t have a Chrysler book for 1954.  Will post some info from the DeSoto that might help.

As you probably already know, an over-center spring helps push after the pedal is down a little, making the clutch not be super stiff at the bottom of travel. My best guess is that the clutch itself should be pushing back hard enough to pop the spring over center, and that the clutch is either misadjusted or has slop in the linkage that should not be there. Do you have a shop manual for this beast?

The whole point of an over center spring is to have an normal-feeling clutch pedal that does not get progressively harder to push near the bottom of travel. A return spring is a step in exactly the wrong direction. That said, cars of the era usually did not want to spin the throwout bearing all the time. I would expect a light return spring in the system somewhere, just enough to lift the bearing off the pressure plate, but probably not near enough to counteract the over-center spring.

Has it ever worked? If someone stuck a diaphragm-style pressure plate in where a coil-spring pressure plate belongs, that could do it. I hope you get a better answer than this. Let us know what you find.

Thanks so much for the input, AND PICS!  I'll be addressing this again at the end of the week, and with the gracious assistance from everyone and images provided by TerryB, hopefully, I'll be able to figure this out.

And yes, Bloo, according to the owner, it did work fine before.

Thanks, again to all.  I'll certainly let you know how it turns out.

Bill

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hey guys,

I also just found out I'm having to deal with this problem. I might be missing some small parts to this same clutch control linkage.

1953 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe. Any idea where I could get either a complete one or just parts?

37 minutes ago, Richard805 said:

Hey guys,

I also just found out I'm having to deal with this problem. I might be missing some small parts to this same clutch control linkage.

1953 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe. Any idea where I could get either a complete one or just parts?

Try French Lake Auto Parts.

• 2 weeks later...