What is more important to you money or memories..

nick8086

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Less is always more. The trips (1982-1986) in my 72 Chevy with 265 thousand miles on it, sleeping in a tent on the side of the road, and eating at 7 -11 for five days in a row..........steamed hot dogs and a Big Gulp for lunch and dinner. We had a great time. Laughed harder, saw more things, and made better memories........all while trying to figure out if we had enough gas money to get home. Didn't have a credit card.......and more than once fixing broken down cars on the side of the road to make a few extra bucks. Met a great bunch of people along the way.

I completely agree Ed. Did much the same a few times in my 20's. { and the occasional car or parts pick up voyage over the years since then }

Unfortunately the same formula does not seem to work 40 + years later once a arthritic 60 year old wife is substituted for the previous traveling companion. I am still game for very basic cost / comfort road trips, but they are strictly solo undertakings. No one else I know ; particularly my wife, is willing to travel in such conditions now that we all are in our late 50's and 60's.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I completely agree Ed. Did much the same a few times in my 20's. { and the occasional car or parts pick up voyage over the years since then }

Unfortunately the same formula does not seem to work 40 + years later once a arthritic 60 year old wife is substituted for the previous traveling companion. I am still game for very basic cost / comfort road trips, but they are strictly solo undertakings. No one else I know ; particularly my wife, is willing to travel in such conditions.

I remember in the late 80's when I bought my first pick up truck to tow a trailer with. I bought a Leer cap with windows and screens. At Hershey I would sleep in the back of it in some parking lot. After a few years, I started staying at the camp ground. We would put up a tent, but I would toss my mattress in the back of the truck to sleep on........thought I had hit the lottery living like that. Hot showers at 4am and a flushing toilet. That was living large. They were good times picking all the vendors when you could actually find stuff. Fast forward almost forty years and when I'm at a major concours I still feel good when I open the door to the room and think about how we did things in the not so distant past. Our running joke now is the Ritz at Amelia is now our "yearly camping trip." 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Definitely take the memories. I am very thankful for the cars my grandpa left behind, but I would trade them in a heartbeat for more time with him.

He taught me most of what I know about cars and I think about him every day I see a car. That is what I think this hobby is really about.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I remember in the late 80's when I bought my first pick up truck to tow a trailer with. I bought a Leer cap with windows and screens. At Hershey I would sleep in the back of it in some parking lot. After a few years, I started staying at the camp ground. We would put up a tent, but I would toss my mattress in the back of the truck to sleep on........thought I had hit the lottery living like that. Hot showers at 4am and a flushing toilet. That was living large. They were good times picking all the vendors when you could actually find stuff. Fast forward almost forty years and when I'm at a major concours I still feel good when I open the door to the room and think about how we did things in the not so distant past. Our running joke now is the Ritz at Amelia is now our "yearly camping trip." 

My good buddy /swap meet traveling companion and I attended the Portland Ore. meet using the back of the truck hotel right up to about 7 years ago. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer at that time and his wife would not let him attend unless we at least booked a basic motel room due to his medical situation. But for the couple of years in between where his treatment prevented him going I reverted to the vehicle sleeping situation. Unfortunately the cancer claimed him two years ago and swap meets haven't been the same . Then covid made it all irrelevant anyway.

26 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Then covid made it all irrelevant anyway.

The Portland International Raceway Swap Meet, and the Portland Expo Swap Meet (next door so to speak and at the same time)

Each have very different rules about what and how we sell.

Expo is the original and have gotten strict about sellers only selling things that are of a certain age and auto related. They have monitors that will come look thru your booth and tell you about things you have that you cannot display or sell. (I call em Nazis) They will threaten you with with banishment.

Also the Expo will be free of all participants (sellers and shoppers) at the closing time.

The race track on the other hand will let one bring in campers and motor homes, tents etc. and have spaces available that will fit the long rigs with trailer. More space rent for the big spaces.

Camping is part of the party and a fun time is had by all. One of my swap meet buddies sells at expo but camps out with us and we run him back and forth to the Expo on the golf car.

PIR put the ban on quads and motor cycles a few years go and I am good with that.

Golf cars of every make and model are lots of fun as are bicycles.

HOWEVER !!!! 

This is the second year that I have let my entry fee ride, Big hopes that they pull it off next year as my swap meet pile  has grown substantially.

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

"What is more important to you money or memories..."

Money and memories are transient.

"People" are the most important.

Since my adventures were all with older friends, and most of them are gone now, I equate memories and friends/friendship as the same item. We join the hobby for our cars, we stay in the hobby for the friends we make. After fifty years, I have concluded people come in and out in five to seven years.......there are few who have the hobby the way I do........it's a lifestyle and a way of living. Most of my joy in travel has been related to cars...........whether across town, across the country, or across the pond.........I have good friend allover the world. Every time I go to Europe we always include our European friends we have made across the glove for dinner or a drive. I email people for years helping them with their cars.....and then one day at Pebble or some other event a stranger comes up and hugs me and introduces him or herself as my friend for many years. It's a great hobby.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I made a commitment to scale down from seven cars to three this year. I sold one early this week. The man who bought it was truly overwhelmed with happiness. He had it transported about 50 miles and while we waited for the flatbed I can't remember how many times he told me that I had blessed him with the deal. And I sold the one that needed the most work first!  Three to go.

I have witnessed a lot of good intended inheritances turn to curses in my lifetime. My wife and I have had objective discussions about leaving our possessions. Cash carries the least burden. And quite a while ago I told my son where to find the walking around money. When I cash out it will be literally. The plan of succession- Take time out of your own life to remember me once in a while.

A little secret, when my son and daughter were around 7 or 8 years old I noticed that there could be a potential conflict between my car hobby and them. Realizing that I backed off on the car stuff and made sure they didn't become orphans or worse due to the hobby. They are close to 40 now and I might be able to attribute a bit of the deferred car maintenance to that.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

People" are the most important

Peter I agree with you completely, however when you turn 81 you will realize that almost all of the "people" are gone and all you have left is the memories.  Thankfully my wife and I have many younger friends but it is not the same as going to swap meets and camping in the back of a 70 Chevy pickup with a camper shell as 1912Staver related.  Getting older isn't all it is touted to be but it beats the alternative.  As a friend reminded me, always eat your desert FIRST!!!

• Like 1