Ball vent felt correct installation

64Rivvy

7 hours ago, 64Rivvy said:

I'm going to roll the dice and go with the option the first pic if no one confirms. Trying to get it all back together. 

64rivvy, I just did these in my 65 last winter. I’m positive mine were like your first pic. Also positive they were original.  To make it a little easier, I used a black felt with an adhesive backing. Works great, my vent “balls” had no grooves that I remember. Not sure what Ed means unless the earlier ones are different than the 65. 

Good luck, it’s nice when they aren’t loose anymore 👍

Brian

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I did this last night using the felt location in my first pic. I ended up using rubber cement instead of contact cement to give me more time to position it. Took a little longer but came out well. I reassembled it and will post a finished pic later today when i get a few min. 

• Like 1

This post is rubbing-in the details that I never got around to doing. Anyway, I'm past that now. No way I'm taking anything apart to get at those felts.

When struggling with my gutted interior the last 2 years, those felts were not even on my radar.

Brian S. and others are always setting the standard. No way of keeping up!😙

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

This post is rubbing-in the details that I never got around to doing. Anyway, I'm past that now. No way I'm taking anything apart to get at those felts.

When struggling with my gutted interior the last 2 years, those felts were not even on my radar.

Brian S. and others are always setting the standard. No way of keeping up!😙

John,

I did mine last summer. You do not have to take anything apart to replace the felt. I used felt with an adhesive backing and I found it easiest to put the new felt in pieces rather than one continuous piece. 

Bill

• Like 1

To actually remove the ball vents you need to remove the dash panels and there are bolts and screws that hold the assembly in place.  The felt strips i got i think we're for a chevelle and i got them from someplace like inline tube or classic industries.   I had passenger side dash panel off bc i replaced the evaporator. I plan to replace the driver's side without removing the panel.  

Rockinrividad,

Is this showing that you put felt on both the front edge of the vent housing like my pic number 1 above, and then also on the inner lip of the air vent?  I tried the felt on just the air vent inner lip initially and it made no difference, but I didn't think that maybe the felt would go in both places. If that's the correct way I can take it apart and add it to the lip on the air vent tube bc i haven't reinstalled the dash panel yet. 

Yes. Felt on both halves. Like your picture #1 & on the back half which the air duct hose attaches to. Then the chrome ball will be sandwiched between the felt on both halves. Set the tightness by pushing the two halves together against the chrome ball & tighten the set screw 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:05 AM, Hans3 said:

How does one remove the ball vent, if necessary?  What were your felt sources?

I remember removing both vents with most things still in place. I possibly may have had the console out for the heater core replacement, but  what I remember it was awkward, my hands and arms were in very un-natural configurations but they did come out and go back in. Once the defrost duct is removed then you have a chance.

Used black felt from a craft/drapers shop that was carefully cut into strips then glued with spray contact adhesive. A really good fix as they stoppa floppin. 

Once installed you won’t regret the effort!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀