62 people: How are you repairing your driveshaft CV joints?

Smartin

I looked at u-joints themselves for the center joint and they seem to go from '61-'68.  There was some sort of center bushing kit on rockauto that was more year-specific.  Or are what you're seeking what used to be called "centering kit" (which was between the two u-joints in the cast iron housing)?  Just curious . . .

NTX5467  

Years ago I had a reliable universal joint shop rebuild a Cadillac driveshaft with a kit. It didn't work out. After three or four trips back I went to Paul Lauracella's Parts of the Past and bought a good used driveshaft. That resolved it.

The service manual should say "This is not a serviceable part. Replace as a unit." In this case I believe them.

The rebuilt driveshaft leaned in a corner of my garage as a reminder not to do that again for close to 20 years.

If I was going to do it today I think I would find a really good used one and have a driveshaft shop cut the old CV assembly out and put the used one in. They could do that. If they gave me any push back I would say "Just humor me".

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

@SmartinHave you tried Buds Salvage in Oklahoma?  They only have 4 pictures on the web but in the first one it looks like there is a 61-62 right next to the car in the picture.  At any rate you may be able to get a used drive shaft there with the part you need, https://www.budsalvage.com/