Battery Voltage

ptt

Its been a deep freeze here in Missouri for the past week!  I havent started the Coupe for that long as Ive been hibernating.  Warmed up to 15F yesterday so I tried to start it...no dice.  Put the boosterbox on it and promptly ran that down.  The display was lit up so I put the DVM to the battery and it only read 11.36V.  It would act like it wanted to catch but wouldnt.  The last time it did this {3 years ago) it was the coils.  This car has always started immeadiately by just touching the ignition.  It still has the MAGNOVOX coil and I do have a new unit in stock.  Its not going to get above 15F for the next week tho....

We have had overnight wind chills of minus 25 for the last week. My Reatta sits outside every night [the Red,'vert and Enclave are inside]  and never missed a beat, starts right up. It is an '88 with the Magnavox coils and 20, 000 miles old plugs and wires. Battery is 2 years old, but 650 Cold Cranking Amps [CCA].

I would guess you have a weak battery

I would put a charger on the battery for a while to bring it back up to the normal mid 12s voltage. At 15 degrees  the car should have no problem starting. After you get it running recheck the voltage to make sure your alternator is working.

I guess the old adage about getting what you pay for stands true!  The battery is a WALLY-WORLD EVERSTART...but it has out lasted the warranty by 6 months.   I brought it in and charged it overnight and it came back to life.  Probably go bad this Summer in the heat. 

Non loaded voltage does not tell the whole story. It only gives an indication of the surface charge, not how much of the reservoir of battery power exists. The battery needs to be loaded and observe how well it responds to the load. 

• Like 4

I used to buy a lot of Interstate batteries but now that they give money to Toyletota loving Joe Gibbs I haven't bought one in years.

I get all my batteries from a local large junk yard. I go over there and for $ 25 I get batteries less than one year old and always get high cold cranking amp batteries.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 9:00 AM, Jim said:

I used to buy a lot of Interstate batteries but now that they give money to Toyletota loving Joe Gibbs I haven't bought one in years.

I get all my batteries from a local large junk yard. I go over there and for $ 25 I get batteries less than one year old and always get high cold cranking amp batteries.

That's where I go for mine as well...