Chain-Drive Frazer Nash

AURktman

I ran across this drive system while looking at a billion other things and I have become quite intrigued.  I know its not really practical and not really the best way of designing a drive system, but that's why it grabs my attention (I must have been Rube Goldberg in my previous life).  Anyone have direct knowledge (owner / driver / saw once at a car show) of this system? I found a book on Amazon about it, but it won't be here until Feb 3-8 and I love hearing first person information.  

https://poeschloncars.blogspot.com/2017/01/chain-drive-frazer-nash-not-your.html

chaindrive.jpg

I just realized I’ve seen part of that video when looking for Jay Leno doing additive manufacturing to make parts, I didn’t realize then it was for the Frazier Nash.  Maybe that’s why I was drawn to it subconsciously as I had already seen it working.  Just imagine, if my memory is that bad now at 47, I’m going to be able to plan my own surprise birthday parties when I hit 60 because I will forget all about the planning. 

Frazer Nash started out building cyclecars, small cars with a motorcycle engine like an early Morgan. The chain drive lashup was a cheap light duty way to make a transmission.

Later they made larger (but still small) sports cars with 4 cylinder and a few six cylinder engines but kept the chain drive lashup probably because it was cheap and they had it.

Don't know any advantage other than cost, and that you could change gear ratios by swapping sprockets. One disadvantage was no rear differential which meant skidding the tires around corners. Not much of a problem on the first very light low powered cyclecars but something you had to be wary of in the later models.

• Like 1

Last Frazer Nash built 1957. They began assembling BMW sports cars in 1934 and selling them as Frazer Nash BMWs. Last chain drive Frazer Nash 1947. From 1948 to 1957 they made only the FNBMW. And they only made 85 of them in 10 years. They were using BMW engines built under license by Bristol, when they stopped making the engines FN stopped making cars and became the English distributor and importer of Porsche cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I see that this an older post but I thought I should chime in. While the original GN used the chain drive system, likely because it was low cost and lightweight, therefore befitting a cycle car, the Frazer Nash continued with it because of the advantages it offered. First off, Frazer Nash cars were not inexpensive as were the GN's built by Frazer-Nash and Godfrey. A conventional g/b and differential rob power from the engine. As much as 25% or more depending on the efficiency of the systems employed. Secondly, the system used dog clutches to change speeds(gears). This is a robust system that eliminates trying to mesh gears, either by using synchronizers, or double clutching. Modern racing cars sometimes use a similar system. Gear changes are simple...unload the drive and quickly shift to the next gear. No use of the clutch is necessary. Thirdly, the system is very lightweight. The rear axle is hollow, as is the driven cross shaft. The bevel box is very small and light. Fourth, the system allows for easy changes of ratios to suit the requirements of a particular track or hillclimb. The sprockets are split and changing is accomplished by removing the sprocket, installing one with a couple more, or couple less teeth, and the ratio is changed. Chains can be adjusted then by using cranked links or removing a link or two. Main adjustment of all chains is by sliding the rear axle either forward or backward, much like a motorcycle. Finally, the system acts much like a locked differential. Cornering hard means you don't want to slow down on the corners, but maintain speed and let the rear of the car slide a bit. The system saw prewar 'Nashes competing well with more modern cars through the forties and fifties. I'll also note to Rusty_Otoole above that the last chain drive Frazer Nash was built pre war in 1939. Post war, Frazer Nash produced, not FN badged BMWs. What "Aldy" HR Aldington did was to gain the rights to the BMW six cylinder 2 liter engine as part of war reparations. In a good business maneuver, he sold the rights to this engine to Bristol who had the facilities to build this engine. He then required that he could acquire these engines at cost to power the post war cars. There were, post war several models, but the most noted was the Frazer Nash Le Mans Replicas which came in Mark I and Mark 2 forms. They were successfully raced through the forties and fifties by such drivers as Stirling Moss. Lest I sound like an armchair commenter, I am the owner of PH7962, a 1928 Frazer Nash Boulogne. The car has a well documented history including the 1929 Double Twelve at Brooklands, various trials and hillclimbs and track events.

1947bbfa-af3b-4e19-8c5d-01d7f08313b9.JPG

Edited by Ulster
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2