Does anyone have a 1959 Chev Suburban ?

JACK M

My neighbor has one that is completely disassembled and we could use a few pictures to help us put it back together.

Specifically, rear barn door lower latch, and the rods at the top that hold the door from swinging way open.

Also where the inner fenders attach to two studs at the lower firewall. (this should be the same as a 59 pick up). There should be brackets that go to those studs (two studs on each side) that the inner fender goes to.

I am not a GM guy but the owner thinks that the 59 may be a one year only on a lot of stuff.

So if someone out there has one laying around that isn't all apart like this one maybe you could help us out.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, he bought  a pair if repop tail lights for this thing on eBay and they are total junk. Pretty, but they ain't American.

I commended him for stepping up to new instead of using the old ones, until I tried to make them work.

He has several oem tail light assemblies but none that look very good.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, greenie said:

Do the tail lights look like this?

91AEEB97-377E-4CC8-A517-C84C3E004AFC.jpeg

Hard to tell by this pic, it would be wider along one side. But it might be the one.

I didn't notice any sae markings on the repop but wasn't looking.

Here is the odd thing, the repop doesn't use an 1157 bulb. It looks like one but the pins are not offset.

So I had to rotate the bulb 180. But the socket so large that it wont ground the bulb. I can put my finger on it and push it to one side to make it ground. My guess would be that they would be going off and on on a rough road and who knows on a smooth road. I would rather run the crappy looking housings. We have not made a decision on the tail lights yet but the repops wont work. Total junk.

We have the body assembly manual and that has helped. 

Its difficult to get small details from it.

It does kind of show where, but not how.

The dealer manual may be better, but this is more of a factory assembly manual that we have.

I was hoping that someone might know of one of these laying in a junk yard or back forty somewhere. Or maybe better yet a restored one.

The vanished body guy was pretty good at taking it apart, but.....    No notes or pics or identified parts at all and the owner I hate to say isn't very organized.

BUT, he is a great guy and has helped me out a few times, I don't think he would have ever gotten around to this Suburban had I lit lit a fire under him.

Thank you.

This one posted by Larry is for sale in the Chevrolet forum.

We have figured out the door arms now, Turns out that one can turn those things inside out, of coarse all of ours were that way.

And I can see well enough in Larry's pictures how the inner fender brackets go.

We are curious about those struts that run from the firewall. I suspect that these go on the core support. We will be looking for those in the parts department. (ie piled high storage building). 

A picture of how they go on the core support might be helpful if we cant find the originals.

We dug thru the parts and picked out the two best tail light housings and I  will be taking those troublesome imported lights off of the car and putting on some originals. Not quite as pretty but much better quality even at 60 plus years old.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

• 10 months later...

Almost a year later and not much progress.

Myself and a couple of neighbor car guys went over there on the Friday after Thanksgiving and put the front clip on.

This guy's mother in law asked him why he starts so many projects and never finishes any of them.

He replied that if he took the time to finish one he wouldn't have time to start as many.

I am sure we all know guys like this.

I will grab the camera again next time I visit.

• Like 1

Thanks to all.

As I mentioned earlier, this guy doesn't get much done on his projects until some of us neighbors come over to help.

He does feed us well. LOL

We have solved all of the problems that I first brought up so are on hold again for awhile.

Since we all showed up at his house the day after Thanksgiving to put the front clip on I mentioned that if we got a day in each year we may get it road ready after a few years.

However, I have a hard time seeing it in his shop making no progress so will try and put together more work parties.

He has owned this truck for a long time and I remember when it was stock and driving. He is kind of kicking his own ass for doing this to it.