'32 Cadillac V16 convertible coupe

1935Packard

It looks like the majority of the classics will be running Saturday . Mecum is going to try to and squeeze those Duesenbergs in a few lots before an '85 Cadillac and a stretch limo made from an old Lear jet (and I'm not joking, that's actually what it looks like).

There have been a handful of GOOD Model J’s changing hands in the last month........  private sales, and top dollar.......cars breaking new ground.  Good J’s are almost impossible to find even if you have millions of dollars in your hands ready to pull the trigger.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Freudian slip?  What say you @alsancle?

Never meet a “good” AJ........my auto correct punched it in and a I didn’t notice it. He’s the black sheep in the family..........don’t want to say too much bad about him........he lets me drive his cars.(Read that as beat the hell out of them like a red headed step child.) 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Both Rollston J's are GREAT cars.   The bidders will find them, even at Mecum.

The SJ is a real one of the 36,  but with a Gehpart blower.

You think the 1936 Rollston would be identified correctly.........?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

I didn’t read the description.  Did they boob it up?  I would take either of those two cars in a second.  

Sure looks like a JN to me........thoughts?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alsancle said:

I didn’t read the description.  Did they boob it up?  I would take either of those two cars in a second.  

Add it to the dream on list...........🤭

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It is a JN.   Agreed that should be mentioned in the description. 

DuesenbergRollston.jpg

Being one of only ten made, and a Rollston with great style, yes.......but then again, that’s what happens when you send gold to an auction house that sells swill. An opportunity to buy a JN comes along once every ten or twenty years. Makes no sense the car was sent there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Being one of only ten made, and a Rollston with great style, yes.......but then again, that’s what happens when you send gold to an auction house that sells swill. An opportunity to buy a JN comes along once every ten or twenty years. Makes no sense the car was sent there. 

I think if you want a Rollston JN,  then you sign up with Mecum.   They get some good cars,  like I said before.

• Like 1

It’s one of the few cars that someone would chase regardless of where it is. Still think it’s a foolish place to sell it. Anyone want to play guess the price? I expect that car will bring a fairly high number.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I don't like skirts in general and definitely not on this car.

It is going to bring a lot of money.

Shall we play guess the number? It’s very late. That adds value. Much more unique than a regular Murphy of the same style. Looks nice. Probably only have to dump 75-100 in it when you get it. That said......it’s seven figures all day long.....I’m thinking 1.2-1.4 thoughts?

8 hours ago, Cadillac Fan said:

I prefer the Rollston Victoria.  And not really a fan of the JNs.  (Ducks his head). 

But, my guess is hammer of 1.6 with a 12 percent commission because it is a phone bidder (it’s a 10 percent commission for live bidders). 

My preference is the open fender 19" wheel cars.   However,  the Rollston SJ Victoria was originally a 17" skirted fender car too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edinmass said:

Shall we play guess the number? It’s very late. That adds value. Much more unique than a regular Murphy of the same style. Looks nice. Probably only have to dump 75-100 in it when you get it. That said......it’s seven figures all day long.....I’m thinking 1.2-1.4 thoughts?

For the first time in recorded history you have a lower number than I do.   I'm thinking 1.5-1.7.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think technically it's NOT a JN. It was built at the factory from leftovers after the JN series of cars. It has a Rollston JN style body, done AFTER the factory JN series. Interesting........so it's a J,  post JN in the style of the JN series. That will make your head spin. I'm not a convertible sedan type of owner......but this appeals to me....even with it's heavy lines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

You must prefer the previous top color:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/sj12/st--john-s/lots/r105-1930-duesenberg-model-sj-convertible-victoria-by-the-rollston-company/280634

It will be interesting to see how the v16 convertible coupe at Mecum does compared with the 32 v16 that started this thread.  I have always wondered if a non-Leather interior in an open car is a negative, as far as value. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:06 PM, ericmac said:

I am guessing the Victoria will be around 1.4 million, all in. I deducted 200 K because is was rebodied and another 200 K just because the red top is ugly. The JN will be 2.1. I'm probably high but you never know.  

It is not fair to call this car a rebody.   It was basically built as a new car by the factory in 1934 for band leader Paul Whiteman.    This included factory uprating to SJ status.   In its original 1934 configuration it had 17" wheels and skirted fenders.

I think it will do much better than 1.4.     Real SJ spec Duesenbergs are almost never available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

It is not fair to call this car a rebody.   It was basically built as a new car by the factory in 1934 for band leader Paul Whiteman.    This included factory uprating to SJ status.   In its original 1934 configuration it had 17" wheels and skirted fenders.

I think it will do much better than 1.4.     Real SJ spec Duesenbergs are almost never available.

Do you know if this is consider one of the 36, or so, “factory supercharged” cars.  

Or is it only considered a factory sj when it first leaves the factory?  

I love it and my only change would have been to ordered it with the long wheelbase chassis.  

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Cadillac Fan said:

Do you know if this is consider one of the 36, or so, “factory supercharged” cars.  

Or is it only considered a factory sj when it first leaves the factory?  

I love it and my only change would have been to ordered it with the long wheelbase chassis.  

The list is open to debate but this car would be considered a factory SJ by anybody that matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The list is open to debate but this car would be considered a factory SJ by anybody that matters.

It's a very good car, and a category one ACD vehicle........I would consider it a factory blower. Model J's are hot as they can be right now..........I would think that the car will brings a very respectable price.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Low estimates of $3.5 million and $2.75 million!

makes the reserve around $3 million and $2.5 million.  

I realize that the collector market is on fire but these seem outrageous high.     Especially since the Victoria sold for under a million 8 years ago, or so.  

I would much prefer the Murphy torpedo at RM than the Rollston JN and can’t believe they have the same estimates. 

does Mecum take dogecoin?

85168E6B-AAA5-42F2-80E5-EDCF24166A51.png

6E290678-C240-43BE-95C1-DFF0BCC5963A.png

3BC77787-A549-4077-9FE8-EF4C9845FB32.png

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 11:46 AM, alsancle said:

I've been a very lucky boy and have been able to drive a couple of different 30 V16 Roadsters.  Smooth, easy to drive, don't make you look stupid trying to shift it.  But the one thing that stood out to me was the hood did not feel very long, relative to other "titan" level cars.   The 32 hood looks a little longer,  is true?

I really like this convertible coupe.

Lovely v16

Screenshot_20211216-144217_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I don't much care for the '32s either--I always felt that the headlights were a touch too small, like the King Bee lights on a hot rod.

That said, who the hell would kick that one out of bed for eating crackers? Certainly not I! I like the lack of sidemounts on this one, and while I do not believe double rear spares were offered, I think they would really finish the car nicely. One single little spare tire back there looks kind of bourgeois on such a car as this.

Being the proud owner of a 32 ("only" a V-8) and having  just added Pilot Rays I have to disagree about the headlights.  On the 32 the Pilot Rays (shown on a 32 convertible coupe in the accessory booklet) are attached to the support piece of the bumper, rather than farther back on the tubular cross member of the 31.  I think gives a more forward look with the Pilot Rays as in this beautiful 32 roadster.

Now anyone know where the switch for the Pilot Rays is?  Can't see any switch I don't recognize on the dash.  Was the wiring integrated into the light switch at steering wheel center?  Would "country driving" be the choice to include the Pilot Rays to be on, but off in other light choices?

light switch 1932_Cadillac_V-16_Convertible_Coupe_by_Fisher_Arizona_2021_RM_Sotheby's_-_2022-01-01_16.06.34.png_-_2022-01-01_16.07.11 copy (1).jpg

If I am not mistaken, there is an empty spot on the Klum switch on 32-33 cars, If memory serves me, it only activates when you turn on high beams.