Engine Bay Paint 65 Riv

elanmike

It looks like I may need to pull my 401 to put new freeze plugs in. Since the engine will be completely out it will one of those "while we are at" it projects. I was thinking about detailing the motor and bay. I have the Hirsch Green for the motor. What will replicate the satin black of the inner fenders and such. I would like to get back to as close to OEM. I was thinking of doing the Heater core from the firewall too. Any other thoughts about low hanging fruit since the engine is out? Thanks in advance.

One other note, the Hirsch Buick green is less blue and more green than the original paint

was on my engine. I was unable to find anything that was a really good match to my original 

engine paint, so I went ahead with the Hirsch paint, although I'm not enthralled with it. Here's a shot of my

original paint on the engine compartment. You will note that the engine in this shot is bluer.....DSC03642.thumb.JPG.c207f71bb941888a3cbd3f5d4864d1e9.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Here's a paint comparison that I did using "Buick Green" from Classic Buicks on the left, "Buick Green" from CARS in the center, and Alpine Green (Detroit Diesel) on the right. 

20150420_135859-crop.thumb.jpg.0edc31c111da887c724ef97a139c01ad.jpg

The Buick Green from Classic Buick is in reality Ford Green.  Classic Buick just scratches "FORD" off the label on the cap. 

I took this picture inside under fluorescent lights.  You can see what Classic Buicks did to the cap.

20150420_134932-crop.thumb.jpg.096e18c9c988ab25a6954d23e7020596.jpg

Duplicolor DE1617 Engine Enamel Paint, Ford Green, 12 Oz Can

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

Here's a paint comparison that I did using "Buick Green" from Classic Buicks on the left, "Buick Green" from CARS in the center, and Alpine Green (Detroit Diesel) on the right. 

20150420_135859-crop.thumb.jpg.0edc31c111da887c724ef97a139c01ad.jpg

The Buick Green from Classic Buick is in reality Ford Green.  Classic Buick just scratches "FORD" off the label on the cap. 

I took this picture inside under fluorescent lights.  You can see what Classic Buicks did to the cap.

20150420_134932-crop.thumb.jpg.096e18c9c988ab25a6954d23e7020596.jpg

Duplicolor DE1617 Engine Enamel Paint, Ford Green, 12 Oz Can

Nice comparison Ed, the DE1617 is what I am using. I am happy with it. 

• 1 month later...

New Freeze Plugs, Timing Chain, oil and fuel pump,water pump and so on. Zero sludge anywhere. Looks like the motor was pulled and refreshed judging by the condition (and the bad freeze plugs). Painted with the Hirsh green paint. Runs strong but still some vacuum and carb tweaking. Project 6 of 32 🙂

131145127_10225385146879506_3967506611888906858_o.jpg

Looks great!

You will want to reverse the battery orientation and get the positive post over by the radiator, away from the fender and hood on that side. They will touch and ground out. Yes, that will force the cables to go across the top of the battery; that's how Buick did it.

To do this, move the ground cable to a bolt on at the PS pump bracket instead of the engine block (see shop manual). Then it will be long enough to reach the negative battery post over by the fender.

• Like 1

To add to what Jim says about your battery cables, a Dealer Service Bulletin was issued that suggested running the positive cable between the battery and the hold down bolt. It will keep the two cables from contacting each other. The original intent was to keep the battery cable from rubbing against the bell on the larger of the four-note horns, but it's a good idea even if you don't have the four-minute horn option.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rivnut did a color comparison "using "Buick Green" from Classic Buicks on the left, "Buick Green" from CARS in the center, and Alpine Green (Detroit Diesel) on the right."

Then elanmike posted gorgeous photos of his engine compartment "Painted with the Hirsh green paint."

So -- is "Hirsh paint" one of the three greens tested by Rivnut or another?

No, Hirsch was not one of the paints in my comparison.  I do not know from whom CARS gets their paint, but the other two are national brands that can be found at almost any jobber. The Ford Green is the Dupli-color brand. Alpine Green is available from Krylon and Dupli-color.

13 hours ago, RivNut said:

No, Hirsch was not one of the paints in my comparison.  I do not know from whom CARS gets their paint, but the other two are national brands that can be found at almost any jobber. The Ford Green is the Dupli-color brand. Alpine Green is available from Krylon and Dupli-color.

Hirsch is still out there:

https://www.hirschauto.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EE-QUART/

I posted the part number for the thermostatically controlled fan clutch that is used on an A/C car. You will need to find an original fan to go with it.

The flex fan may be OK. The concept there is that the blades flatten out at high RPM, for less power drag, when you don't really need the fan.  At low RPM they have more curvature and move more air.

10 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

I posted the part number for the thermostatically controlled fan clutch that is used on an A/C car. You will need to find an original fan to go with it.

The flex fan may be OK. The concept there is that the blades flatten out at high RPM, for less power drag, when you don't really need the fan.  At low RPM they have more curvature and move more air.

I`ve seen these flex fans come apart...think about it...flex, flex, flex, flex, flex....break!

Tom