20s-30s steering wheel and central control and levers

34hacker

Good day, all.  I'm looking for assistance in two things, identify the following Steering wheel, central control hub and levers and also checking to find if anyone has original or reproduces the central control unit and levers for these 20s-30s steering wheels.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here are a few articles a Reo Royale Member was kind enough to post on the Reo Royale Forum.

Light Switch at Bottom of Steering Column | Reo Royale Forum

image.thumb.png.59565d2d9b5792d09a36fca1d4135b02.png

I think I would approach the problem from the opposite direction........are you building a car or boat? If it’s a boat things would be much easier to buy a intact steering box and column and cut it down.......photos of your project and a description of what you are trying to accomplish would be much more helpful. We made a steering box for a Duesenberg back a few years ago.......came out great, and the car did well at Pebble.....first in class. Doing a great job is very expensive, as is doing a good job........so budget will come into play......please expand your request with more information and photos. 

• Like 1

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t see anything in OP referring to steering box/gear or components/mechanisms at lower end of steering column.

To my limited understanding, he/she is trying to identify the steering wheel and center control levers similar to ones in the photos and find source for NOS, reproduction or repair/restoration service provider for them.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have had a love affair of cars from the 30s since I was 16.  Over the years I have gotten into the pre-war boats.  The US boat manufacturers then were very close to Detroit and used a lot of the same parts from the suppliers.  Dodge, Gar Wood, Chris Craft, and Hacker were all there.  I found a correct boat engine (Kermath-way ahead of its time) and it came with a boat and lots of great hardware including a correct steering wheel/Ross gear/and rods to take the movement from the levers in the steering column to where they should go.  What was missing was the hub mechanism, levers, and rods down the shaft.  The two photos show the wheel (with a 'bubba-ized' metal plate bolted on over the center of the wheel) and the bottom on how the rods transfer the movement to longitudinal movement to the motor.  The 698 c.i. motor (photo attached) was the real purpose but the steering was cherry on the cake. 

So yes to TTR, looking for mechanism in the hub and the levers.

20200816_153026.jpg

20200816_153114.jpg

Trip 2 Day 2 initial lift_bed logs not lag bolted.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I don’t have advise or suggestions to your specific issues, but this reminded me of some of the experiences I’ve had and work I’ve done on few vintage wooden boats.

These include a 1917/-18 British made something for their Navy Admiralty, but later converted to civilian “cabin cruiser” (mechanical repairs), a ‘31 ChrisCraft (I custom-made a complete wiring harness from scratch 20+ years ago, spoke with the owner few weeks ago and he told me it has not given any problems since. but then again, he also uses his vintage/wooden boats a lot more than most do), a '38 ChrisCraft (mechanical sorting, same owner as previous), a late-'30s(?) HackerCraft (electrical & mechanical sorting) ‘& a '54 ChrisCraft (mechanical and trim work).

The last on that list is only one I’ve worked on here in the U.S., others jobs were in Europe 20+ years ago and last I heard, all (except the one in U.S.) still with same (3 different) owners.

• Like 1

Send me a PM through the site with your phone number email address and mailing address I’m pretty sure I know where you can find what you need. I sold all my spare parts to someone but I know he still has a steering column that should work out for you. 

• Like 1

Just remembered another vintage boat I've worked on here in California long ago. 

Make/model escapes me now (I have photos somewhere in my files), but it was rather unique, late-'50s custom-built, one-off boat (though I don't recall if it had wooden hull) featuring a dash, instruments, steering column/-wheel, (bench) seats (front one Power, IIRC), other interior components AND widened, (hydraulically) working convertible top, (electric & glass) Power Windows & 2-piece (also widened) Windshield frame & trim from a '58 Imperial convertible.

I was requested to produce one (broken) half of the (glass) windshield for it.

Yeah, producing just one side didn't make sense to me either, especially with one side looking brand new and other old and discolored, but not the first nor last time I've seen people exhibiting strange thinking in efforts to "save money" (?!?).

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TTR said:

Just remembered another vintage boat I've worked on here in California long ago. 

Make/model escapes me now (I have photos somewhere in my files), but it was rather unique, late-'50s custom-built, one-off boat (though I don't recall if it had wooden hull) featuring a dash, instruments, steering column/-wheel, (bench) seats (front one Power, IIRC), other interior components AND widened, (hydraulically) working convertible top, (electric & glass) Power Windows & 2-piece (also widened) Windshield frame & trim from a '58 Imperial convertible.

I was requested to produce one (broken) half of the (glass) windshield for it.

Yeah, producing just one side didn't make sense to me either, especially with one side looking brand new and other old and discolored, but not the first nor last time I've seen people exhibiting strange thinking in efforts to "save money" (?!?).

Found it and seems my recollections are slightly off.

It apparently was originally built in Oakland, California by Philbrick Boat Works in the sixties, allegedly over 7-8 year period and finished (depending on source) in 1966 or 1969.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

The steering wheel and cluster parts fits 1929 Franklin 130 (may have a wooden rim though) and 1929/1930 Auburn

John,  Thanks for the info and it was addressing my exact question.  Thank you!!  I spoke to an Auburn technical expert who told me there was no four-spoke Auburn wheel at any time and I asked about the photos and he reiterated "not Auburn" and directed me here.  I will check out the Franklin's and I do believe the 1928 and '29 Auburn speedsters (two of the photos above) had similar. 

Now I'm looking for 2 sets of scheblers with 1 3/4 throats.  Was told Hershey would have them but of course, this is the days of Covid.  Ugh!  Thanks again for your thoughts and time.

Mike

On 10/22/2020 at 8:08 PM, 34hacker said:

John,  Thanks for the info and it was addressing my exact question.  Thank you!!  I spoke to an Auburn technical expert who told me there was no four-spoke Auburn wheel at any time and I asked about the photos and he reiterated "not Auburn" and directed me here.  I will check out the Franklin's and I do believe the 1928 and '29 Auburn speedsters (two of the photos above) had similar. 

Now I'm looking for 2 sets of scheblers with 1 3/4 throats.  Was told Hershey would have them but of course, this is the days of Covid.  Ugh!  Thanks again for your thoughts and time.

Mike

You need to be careful out on the street as all the 28 - 30 auburn cars are the same (no special steering wheel for a speedster)

And to Franklin - only 1929 130 Series. 

ab59707e315774dbb775421580b681c1-700.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, John_Mereness said:

You need to be careful out on the street as all the 28 - 30 auburn cars are the same (no special steering wheel for a speedster)

And to Franklin - only 1929 130 Series. 

ab59707e315774dbb775421580b681c1-700.jpg

That's one great picture.  Again, thanks for the info.  Cheers!