1951 Hudson Commodore 8 - "Mostly Original" - "Step Down Design" - MI - Not Mine - 6/8 Ad Deleted

For Sale on Facebook:   1951 Hudson Commodore 4-door Sedan in Sterling Heights, MI -  $22,500  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2735132520105360/

Seller's Description:

1951 Hudson Commodore. Straight 8 flathead. Car has 45,577 original miles. Runs & drives great. Car is mostly original, it did have a repaint of the original color. Only issue is a little fluid leak, dropped the oil pan and trans pan last year, all new fluids but still leaks a little. I looked at other Hudson prices on Hemmings, Classic car trader and other sites to be fair. Listing for $22,500

image.png.a84f5e7936b70cea5d6f7a1f2315b916.png

image.png.833a76af91e54271e260da6c1a10f77e.png

image.png.f0ea5e2490cfce07d8517bec9a08964a.png

image.png.57d43b7c1532536c65e56321d273ee67.png

image.png.44517b34a42566a17814f51b7d64d0bd.png

image.png.284ca18dd33880df495c3812a8b5aa1b.png

image.png.04c376b8b5a73323f807cd33fa1c8c20.png
Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1951 Hudson Commodore 8 - "Mostly Original" - "Step Down Design" - MI - Not Mine

I love the step-downs, and agree that this one is a good-looking example.  But I think the seller is a bit optimistic on price.

Meanwhile, what's with the clothespins on the fuel line to the carb?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

I love the step-downs, and agree that this one is a good-looking example.  But I think the seller is a bit optimistic on price.

Meanwhile, what's with the clothespins on the fuel line to the carb?

43 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

To help with vapor locking.

Clothespins on fuel line used to be a "fix" for vapor lock and was sometimes seen on Buicks of the early 1950s, along with other straight 8s.

Another (very temporary) one was mashing half a grapefruit over the mechanical fuel pump.

Using metal items might have served to help dissipate heat, but I never understood what wooden ones could do?

Back during my high school days, my friend Jerry had a maroon 1951 Hudson Commodore 8 and Hydra-Matic, identical to this one. Since it was his car, and we were both dating girls from Patterson, NJ, about 30 miles up the Garden State Parkway, of course he drove, so my date and I were relegated to that amazing "Back Seat". It may have been almost the size of my first NYC apartment.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Since it was his car, and we were both dating girls from Patterson, NJ, about 30 miles up the Garden State Parkway, of course he drove, so my date and I were relegated to that amazing "Back Seat". It may have been almost the size of my first NYC apartment.

A person could probably sit on that fold down arm rest? I heard that somewhere.:lol::D

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

To help with vapor locking.

So exactly how would wooden clothes pins help with vapor lock?  And why is this guy still using this supposed method?  Is it part of the "vintage" look of the engine compartment?

From your link:

"Place five clothespins on the metal line running from the carburetor to the fuel pump. These may act as heat sinks and draw heat out of the hose, or insulators which help keep the line from getting too hot."

Haha -- they need to make up their mind -- is the wooden clothes pin a heat sink or an insulator?  It can't be both.  And I doubt that it can be either.  Last time I checked, wood did not absorb heat.  And five clothespins spaced along a fuel line couldn't provide a significant amount of insulation.  So personally, I'm not buying it.  (But it does add to the vintage look of the engine compartment of that Hudson.) 😄

5 minutes ago, JACK M said:

But it works !!

Maybe it's like my magic shoes that repel elephants.  I just tap them on the floor and they work perfectly.  How do I know they work?  I haven't seen an elephant in my house the whole time I've lived here! 😄

But will your shoes work if there were elephants in your house?

I have personal experience with cloths pins as the vapor lock was indeed happening.

I wouldn't invest in magic cloths pins or magic shoes to repel elephants unless they were in the house, or at least within sight. LOL

What if the elephant was wearing shoes that had clothes pins on them? I just noticed someone pulled down the thread under commercial advertisements. To bad, that was a good one. Did tell a story about what happened. And created a time line. Very sad, I am still pulling for you Idaho. 

One sweet thing about this car is that it's still running the splasher 8. It seems like every stepdown I see at the local shows is running a 6 with the Twin H setup. My 51 Commodore is about the last single carb stepdown I've seen in a while, and it's an original 8 converted to a 262.

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to 1951 Hudson Commodore 8 - "Mostly Original" - "Step Down Design" - MI - Not Mine - 6/8 Ad Deleted