1959 dodge coronet car for free in CT. NOT MINE!!

Yea, reminds me of a convertible I bought once.

Tags were about to expire and I knocked on the door to see if it was for sale.

The guy told me yes as the city was leaning on him to get it gone and it hadn't been run in awhile.

It would not start so I bought up some tune up parts and got it going.

Then I  mad the mistake of looking in the trunk and digging around I found a cookie can full of quarters.

The seller just happened to be standing next to me and took those back.

I would bet there was a couple of hundred bucks worth of quarters in that rusty old can that he had completely forgotten about.

I don't do to much digging when the owner is around anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The 55er said:

I wonder what all might be hiding in there

Nothing.

It will all be on the ground underneath the car. 😄

While i think it is probably pretty rust under all that moss,  I have found some surprising things over the year discovering lost cars.   Especially in the Northeast where it's easy to become pesimistic.  I was in a junk yard (a little home one) and there was a 48 Caddy that had been run over by a bulldozer as they were logging the property.  The car was rusty to begin with,  but sticking out of what was left of the window frame for the driver's door was the horn ring and button with only a couple very small pimples in the chrome and a really nice crack free button.  It came home with me.  Who knows,  maybe some of that chrome pot metal is not as bad as one would think.  There cars are pretty popular parts wise.  Wouldn't take long if you scored a few nice pieces of potmetal,  now I'm not talking about perfect just decent with a few pits to make a nice little profit.

I'm not usually much of a "patina" guy but, if there were any way in the world to ever get this Dodge to move and stop under its own power again, I would only clear the rear window of debris, leave the rest of the car festooned with lichens, moss, twigs and beetles and drive it to vintage cars shows in nature's own livery.

Patina Level:

"Grand Master".

Greg, you would have to stay in CA or they wont let you back in..

Every time I drive into CA they want to know if I have any invasive species.

Although I have to think those fruit checkers have a pretty cushy job as lately they just wave me thru.

I have a real horror story about brining the motor coach back into the US at Mexicali. But another time.

Lake Oswego near Portland is a private lake.

The Columbia region of some antique boat club hosts an antique boat show every year and that is the only time they let outside boats on the lake.

In order to get launched the boat has to have a seal on the winch that you can only get if you show up at a cleaning station a few days before the show and have the bottom of the boat steam cleaned and some kind of bleach solution run thru the cooling system. This is to kill off any invasive species. I guess that since the lake if fed by the Tualatin River which is not really known for its cleanliness isn't taken into account.

I did that a few times. Kinda fun, but certainly some attitudes from some locals on the water.

I once asked why I never saw any judges around my boat and they told me that the region members made a rule that no trophies go out side of the club because members were spending money on trophies and weren't winning them.

I suggested that they should take a little more pride in their boats than their egos.

I wasn't invited back after that.

Boat for sale

test day.jpg

IM002734.JPG

IM002735.JPG

• Haha 1