Installing a Chevrolet 235 in a ‘ 52 Buick

Rusty Heaps

I’m looking for an adapter plate to put a 235 Chevrolet six in my 1952 Special until I find a running eight to put in its place. The transmission is a standard. Does anyone know of one? And how difficult would it be other than the motor mounts? I know, I know, don’t hate me. It would only be temporary, I would just like to have the car on the road. I’m betting that the general public would not notice, except to comment on the spaciousness of the engine compartment!

First question I would ask, is the pilot shaft in the crank the correct size. If not, there is no way to match them up.

I doubt if there is an adapter made but you can check with Bendtsens or Advanced Adapters.

BTW, what happened to your straight 8 ?  Would it be easier just to rebuild it ?

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

Why re-engineer a car for an engine that doesn't belong there? If your engine is junk, rebuild it or find another one--small series Buick straight-8s aren't hard to find nor expensive. Plenty of running donor cars to choose from, too. There's no point in trying to make that engine work in there (you'll need a lot more than just a transmission adapter) when your goal is to have a running Buick straight-8. In addition to motor mounts, just off the top of my head, you'll need to re-engineer the throttle linkage, some of the wiring, clutch/flywheel/bellhousing/transmission adapter, cooling system, starter, and exhaust. Then you'll have to put it all back once you find your straight-8 and do it all twice. That's a whole lot of work for a temporary solution that will delivery unsatisfactory performance. Engine swaps are never an easy, "just throw it in there" kind of job.

Do it right the first time, brother. It may take a little longer but it will save time and effort and money in the long run.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The engine is junk, a boat anchor. It was apparently left outside with no hood , no head, and has had a lot of water through it, not to mention all the dust that now clogs the passages where the push rods were. As for finding an engine, I have a want ad posted here , but have not had any success. I’m not set up for an engine rebuild, so it must be a running drop in with manifolds. I would like to do it right the first time, but if it’s going to take a while, then driving it is more important 

You HAVE to consider that back when the car was designed, EACH GM division had their own Chief Engineer who made the design/engineering decisions.  NOT some marketing people, as it appears to be today.  That's why EACH GM division was so different back then.  EACH division had their own mission and target customer.  Hence, very few items which crossed-over, except for some generic trhings like outer door handles and such.

To be sure, there were some similarities in the body area, which Fisher Body desired to happen, but most likely very little in the mechanical area.

Shat about using an NOS GMC 302 short block instead of the "dipper rod" Chevy 235?

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

You mentioned that the block/engine was rusted and such.  You might need to check out Larry Shramm's article on de-rusting via reverse electrolysis (or something of that nature).  Also, an article at www.hotrod.com on that, too, with pictures.  Past that on the disassembled engine, it should be just normal machine work, I suspect.  Reclaiming it that way might take a bit more time, but might save time and money in the long run.  Compared to all of teh re-engineeirng that would be necessary to transplant that Chevy 6-cylinder.  Might be easier to drop in a Chevh 350 crate motor and THM400OD?  It's probably be worth more than way than with the weak 235 Chevy in it.

NTX5467

6 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

I’m looking for an adapter plate to put a 235 Chevrolet six in my 1952 Special until I find a running eight to put in its place. The transmission is a standard. Does anyone know of one? And how difficult would it be other than the motor mounts? I know, I know, don’t hate me. It would only be temporary, I would just like to have the car on the road. I’m betting that the general public would not notice, except to comment on the spaciousness of the engine compartment!

Suggest you put out some creative "bait", for instance; Looking to buy a good running straight eight from a 1950-1953 Spec or Sup that you street rodded. Willing to pay more than you would get from the scrap yard! Please call for details so I can give you an offer. Prefer one block from my house! Heehee! Seriously, double work is heck, single engine installs bad enuff! You dont hafta include the 1 block from house part!

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

Suggest you widen yer search to include a 264" Buick nailhead V8 '54-'55 with stick bellhousing. Preferably 55(more horsees). Your trans and that bellhousing have the same bolt pattern. Nice power gain, make front mounts etc. Stock radiator? Maybe, same cube engine!  Carefull, that 55 264" will kill those light transmissions if you get on it too often, so, put a nice big six bolt topcover trans in from  '41-'49 should be pretty close in length and more than strong enuff behind a 264" V8. Just a few things ya might not have considered. Oh yeah, dont forget a 4 barrel intake for the 264", 322 intakes bolt right on.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

Oh yeah, dont forget a 4 barrel intake for the 264", 322 intakes bolt right on.

And dual exhaust (loud).  You may need to relocate the steering box and/or use a mini-starter.  Less trouble than the 235 and less work since you will not change back to the straight eight.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2020 at 12:38 AM, 2carb40 said:

Suggest you widen yer search to include a 264" Buick nailhead V8 '54-'55 with stick bellhousing. Preferably 55(more horsees). Your trans and that bellhousing have the same bolt pattern. 

Yes, I’m aware that the bellhousing is the same. I may have to go that route. I doubt that it would be any cheaper than the straight eight.

Ill keep my eye out for free stuff for ya. Put yor N95  on and come on up & I will give you not one but two still assembled 264 shortblocks both turn nicely and all I would do is unpiston, dingleball hone, cleanup and down the road Id go! I could throw in a 264 stick bell for a nudder 100 bucks build the best 264" sell/trade other one, mabe for a pair of heads or a flywheel. Just a thought....

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Oh happy day! I found the engine I needed and brought it home with me. Unfortunately it is still attached to the ‘53 Special. I’ll have to lose the car once I get the parts I need. It could be turned into a hotrod or gasser for drag racing!😱 The car is rough, but doable. I hate to see any of them parted out.

• Like 2