Yet another scam surfaces

supercargirl

I posted a car on Craigslist a few days ago and got this response:

I want to buy the car and i will be paying in cash. However, I'd really want to inspect history report before i come to check it out. I'd really appreciate if you can get it from cardetailcheck.com because I'd like to repay you if we cut a deal, and they're a lot cheaper than carfax or something else. If everything comes out clean on the report we will set up a meeting and I am getting the car.
When the "buyer" would not produce any contact information I Googled the site he was pushing and found this FCC Warning:  A scam aimed at car sellers  Scammers are relentless.  I have had to remove a Jaguar XKE off of Ebay UK three times so far where it was posted for 25,000.00 stg.  Great deal for a $200,000.00 car. 
This articles goes into detail on the scam:  Almost fell for a scam

Edited by supercargirl (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks for alerting us to this scam!  You were wise to Google the website before accessing it.

I recently sold a 2003 Ford Escape on Craigslist. The first 8 responders I got were exactly as you described above. It must be paying off well for them. I sure wish the cops would set up some sting operations and nab folks like this...and then lock them away for a long, long time. 

• Like 2

I dont click on things randomly, and giving the heading I stayed away from the highlighted link. I dont understand what is going on. Are you saying that once you click the link it will list your car for sale someplace other than designated and for a lower price?

I use the old adage if it looks to good to be true it usually is. I was looking for an F150, on my local CL there was a $20k truck for something like $12k. The ad seemed legit, 'my husband died, we are moving need to sell his truck, blah blah blah.' I responded I wanted to look at the truck (it was listed in a town 1/2 hr away-DE). The reply was that the vehicle had been moved to Montana then more blah blah blah. Told the guy by that time that I knew it was a scam and I was going to report, which I didnt.  Radio silence. About a month later, whilst looking at CL again, exact same add only different state this time.

They won’t period. They don’t care. I had yet another cc commandeered and used to purchase almost 3K in computer gaming crap. Had the good fortune to catch it before the CA company shipped it to AZ but the scammer was able to change my address in IL to AZ. It was not a P.O. Box but an actual address so I suggested Citi bank send local authorities to that address to arrest whoever was receiving stolen goods. Not worth it was the answer. Bottom line is feel free to steal from cc companies clients but keep it under 5K. That is the arbitrary number that determines if a thief is a good one or greedy one.

I'm glad in oz we just have a single national government system for it, got rid of most of this shonky stuff over night. Basically all you have to do is pay $3 to see if the vehicle has ever been in an accident and what financial interest there is in a car - if the seller of a vehicle provides you with a copy of the report you can also verify it for free. 

2 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

I'm glad in oz we just have a single national government system for it, got rid of most of this shonky stuff over night. Basically all you have to do is pay $3 to see if the vehicle has ever been in an accident and what financial interest there is in a car - if the seller of a vehicle provides you with a copy of the report you can also verify it for free. 

GIGO..............Bob