1966 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - PA - Not Mine - 7/12 Ad Deleted

For sale on Craigslist  1966 Cadillac DeVille Convertible in Shipensburg, PA  -  $15,000  -  No phone # provided, reply to Seller through Craigslist email to 00d1b54fdb6b339dbe32451671a25582@sale.craigslist.org

Link:  https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/shippensburg-1966-cadillac-deville/7151071049.html

Seller's Description:

Super clean 1966 Cadillac Convertible DeVille. This beautiful car is all original, has been well maintained and runs well!

My father purchased this car in 1966 and it has been garage kept the entire time. It was never driven or sitting out in bad weather. My dad had some repainting done on it years ago just as touch ups but unfortunately the paint was not an exact match. Currently I take it on short trips in to town occasionally. This car was never in an accident and has never been misused. The interior is white leather and in immaculate condition, the dash is pristine with NO cracks and the carpet has minimal wear. Complete with power windows, power locks, air conditioning. The convertible top is in excellent shape. Cash only, no checks, no scams!

image.png.a08b152dfe4a859c201ff8a7ff53c424.png

image.png.7c73d15f9a5bfe45c4aa8932e4647248.png

image.png.5c96818e9b76f577819563d88322a4f6.png

image.png.4e239f920bcace11529e7f2841353601.png

image.png.896cdb082f04d5690fd149afa7137d90.png

image.png.db0287b6b48fd97bace1082446e385b2.png

image.thumb.png.8377918989149ccf684927899c1cd699.png

image.thumb.png.df5f584e3fb85821334832804f59d657.png

image.png.493327cfeae85b8cdb88c94f7eb0bada.png

image.png.9ecf0c5b6c64a506cc4a7357705509c9.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

Butt stays as cool as you could keep it in a Cadillac convertible back in '66. White top, white interior, (real perforations on the seats), and the optional, (back then), A/C. Has the T&T 'wheel, too. I've owned these Cads after renting a brand new one, (88 miles out, a lot more upon return), quite a car for its time. Well balanced, handle very good when pushed hard, ample brakes, (no need for disc conversion unless you drive like I did back then). Well, actually, other than the fact that you'd have to be nuts to drive like that, it is not smart to push these brainless high compression 429s hard. Today's gasoline requires restraint on the go pedal.

If you are hankering after one of these, at 112,000 miles, and considering the above mentioned options, go for it if you like the colors. Your butt will thank you every time you go out driving. Particularly on long distance runs.     -    Carl.

P.S. Pay particular attention to the water pump. Good for around 60,000 miles, this is probably getting short on its second one. It may still be on its original radiator. Wiggle- jiggle the fan blades, if there is any play at all, replace pump. NOW ! Radiator too, if needed. While you are there, pull the timing cover, and check the condition of the oil pump which is embedded in the aluminum cover. There is vulnerability in that department. Hopefully this original owner kept all service records. If the bushings in the front end have not been replaced, (you can easily inspect the upper control arm bushings when you open the hood), do that too. Take a wide blade screwdriver and remove the oil fill cap. Scrape and scoop around. I walk if black "peanut butter" is present. These are three simple, easy tests which can be done in one or two minutes. Important bargaining points on one hand, peace of mind on the other.

After tending to all needs, and converting to the highest quality full synthetic oil, I would drive this car a lot. Gentle acceleration considering the fact that the highest octane modern fuel is still shy of these cars requirements. These are such good drivers, that if I had one, and still had the time, health and money, I would try to revisit all the "lower 48" again. This time slowly, top down when able, A/C when butt calls for it, and a great big Cadillac Carl smile on my aging mug. Visit my forum friends, and let them take me for a ride so I could enjoy the back seat with the top down, to their favorite local scenic roads. They would see why, when in the period, Phil Hill replied to the question : "What car would you pick for a coast-to-coast drive ?" He replied : "An air conditioned Cadillac".   -   CC 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree, white seats are the ticket for a convertible. Look great and stay cool. I could never understand why they put black seats in some. They wouldbe burning hot here in SoCal.

6 hours ago, C Carl said:

Butt stays as cool as you could keep it in a Cadillac convertible back in '66. White top, white interior, (real perforations on the seats), and the optional, (back then), A/C. Has the T&T 'wheel, too. I've owned these Cads after renting a brand new one, (88 miles out, a lot more upon return), quite a car for its time. Well balanced, handle very good when pushed hard, ample brakes, (no need for disc conversion unless you drive like I did back then). Well, actually, other than the fact that you'd have to be nuts to drive like that, it is not smart to push these brainless high compression 429s hard. Today's gasoline requires restraint on the go pedal.

If you are hankering after one of these, at 112,000 miles, and considering the above mentioned options, go for it if you like the colors. Your butt will thank you every time you go out driving. Particularly on long distance runs.     -    Carl.

P.S. Pay particular attention to the water pump. Good for around 60,000 miles, this is probably getting short on its second one. It may still be on its original radiator. Wiggle- jiggle the fan blades, if there is any play at all, replace pump. NOW ! Radiator too, if needed. While you are there, pull the timing cover, and check the condition of the oil pump which is embedded in the aluminum cover. There is vulnerability in that department. Hopefully this original owner kept all service records. If the bushings in the front end have not been replaced, (you can easily inspect the upper control arm bushings when you open the hood), do that too. Take a wide blade screwdriver and remove the oil fill cap. Scrape and scoop around. I walk if black "peanut butter" is present. These are three simple, easy tests which can be done in one or two minutes. Important bargaining points on one hand, peace of mind on the other.

After tending to all needs, and converting to the highest quality full synthetic oil, I would drive this car a lot. Gentle acceleration considering the fact that the highest octane modern fuel is still shy of these cars requirements. These are such good drivers, that if I had one, and still had the time, health and money, I would try to revisit all the "lower 48" again. This time slowly, top down when able, A/C when butt calls for it, and a great big Cadillac Carl smile on my aging mug. Visit my forum friends, and let them take me for a ride so I could enjoy the back seat with the top down, to their favorite local scenic roads. They would see why, when in the period, Phil Hill replied to the question : "What car would you pick for a coast-to-coast drive ?" He replied : "An air conditioned Cadillac".   -   CC 

Having owned 2 of these 66's I will second that. Awesome drivers, decent brakes, good power band from the 429/TH 400 and a ride unequalled for the era!

Having for many years owned, and toured our 1970 Triple-Black Cadillac convertible, I was ready to restore/modify it to become Triple-WHITE !!!

Especially here in the Deep-South, sun and heat almost year round is a concern, and white is much cooler on the body.

We also find more light color cars, as well as home roofs than dark here for the same reason.

Great looking Cad, I wonder if nose could be gotten closer with a quality shop respray?  That mismatch is all I would see when walking towards it, otherwise, assuming it passes Carl's tests, a very cool car.  Bigger than a 70, I assume?

Hi Steve,

Even with the evolution from the tubular X-frame to the perimeter frame of the new for '65-'66 Cadillacs, the 129.5" wheelbase was retained. This continued until '71, when it went to 130".

This car is further testimony to what $10k-$15k will buy across several generations of collector cars these days. With the often missing options of Climate Control A/C and the not-to-be-taken-lightly T&T steering wheel, combined with relatively low miles original owner garage-kept '66, this car could be enjoyed and maintained until such time as a new owner gets his/her opportunity. Who knows what condition the world will be in then, but these barges will always have their appreciative fans. Whether middle-class folk will have any discretionary funds is another matter, but : Hey ! If you can still play with toys, this is an excellent one.

For my treasured friends here, I have responded to the owner over CL asking if service records are available. I have asked if there are records over the last 1/2 of the accumulated 112,000 miles for any work done on engine, transmission, A/C, front suspension, and radiator/water pump. Is anyone else in contact with owner ?       -     Carl 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Having for many years owned, and toured our 1970 Triple-Black Cadillac convertible, I was ready to restore/modify it to become Triple-WHITE !!!

Marty, I see from your list of cars that you no longer

have the 1970 Cadillac.  I've always liked the 1969-70

Cadillacs, and I've noticed that too many convertibles

are painted red or white.  With at least 20 colors from which

to choose, I would have suggested some other light color.

If a restorer chooses a less-ordinary color, it will stand out more

to knowing Cadillac afficionados.  And choose a color that

other GM divisions didn't offer, since Cadillac as a premium

car had a broader selection!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Marty, I see from your list of cars that you no longer

have the 1970 Cadillac.  I've always liked the 1969-70

Cadillacs, and I've noticed that too many convertibles

are painted red or white.  With at least 20 colors from which

to choose, I would have suggested some other light color.

If a restorer chooses a less-ordinary color, it will stand out more

to knowing Cadillac afficionados.  And choose a color that

other GM divisions didn't offer, since Cadillac as a premium

car had a broader selection!

John, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The 1970 was, at that time, Cadillac's last full-frame rear wheel drive convertible. Our fully optioned triple-black '70 Caddy convertible was just too hot, despite excellent A/C, to enjoy here in the deep south - especially on black leather seats exposed to the sun, perhaps for hours at a time. We sold it to a local club member rather than change the originality. It was a fantastic cross-country cruiser and a beautiful, no rust ever, extremely low mileage (50,xxx?) example, never anybody's daily driver from new. I was the 3rd owner, and of course it was an unrestored car. We strongly considered replacing it with a late, dear friend's 12.,xxx mile 1976 yellow paint, parchment leather ElDorado convertible, offered by his widow. That was a year and a half ago, just about the time of Dale's first "3 months to live" liver cancer diagnosis, before finding a better oncologist, subsequent surgery and before continuing treatment were shown to be effective - at least for now. Our decision was kind of "know when to hold - know when to fold", that we already had convertibles for essentially every era and type of tour with the exception of the One & Two Cylinder, and potential/likely medical expenses had to be considered (still do!). Thankfully she is responding to her current treatment, and will hopefully continue. Two days ago we marked our 51 wedding anniversary, and next month our only grandchild, an AACA judge, starts grad school having graduated Magna Cum Laude, Dean's List all eight semesters, and President's List with a 4.0 GPA - and has accepted a Graduate Teaching Assistant responsibility. Of course he hopes to eventually inherit a car at some point - but not too soon.

Sorry to go off-topic ...

On 7/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, C Carl said:

I have responded to the owner over CL. Is anyone else in contact with owner ?       -     Carl 

Owner has called back, we are "playing phone tag". Anyone have questions you would like me to ask ? This is the first year for variable ratio power steering. Certainly contributes to the wonderful driving characteristics of these cars.    -    CC 

Bradley, (Brad, if you like), and I had a very good talk. He lost his father almost ten years ago. Does not have service records. Still going through leftovers, might have somewhere. Dad kept things, so ?...................

Now, Brad is a very nice guy, very accommodating. I am sure he would be helpful in checking things, for example, what I mentioned earlier. He just works quite a lot, so turnaround time begs patience. Brad is also extremely aware that SUN KILLS CARS, drop tops, obviously, more so. The is why this Cad was spared the broiling, and irreparable consequent damage.

People do love these Cadillacs. Some talented, dedicated guys feel it worthwhile to take on the task of restoring even significantly deteriorated ones. There is no automotive hero more highly esteemed, than a restorer of cars. Putting an otherwise condemned hulk back on the road again, a wonderful old car where otherwise there would be none, is the consummate act of preserving automotive history. But then again, I don't have to tell anyone here of the benefits of getting a very well-kept old driver. 

My experience with these cars goes back to when they were new, and then ownership just a few years later after initial depreciation made them bargains. At my age and stage of life, cars of this period still seem like almost new to me in some strange way. It is very weird to realize, that in a certain sense, this old Cadillac convertible is almost as old now, as my old '24 Cad convertible was back when I bought it. 🤔!!!!!!!!!! !  I really can't quite wrap my head around that. However, that is an argument for purchasing this properly, and somewhat unusually optioned example in its well-preserved  condition. I encourage anyone who has had some interest in owning one of these, and particularly likes the colors, to contact Brad.

Presently, Brad is in Cadillac, Michigan, hundreds of miles from home. He will be back in Pennsylvania Tuesday. As I mentioned, he is pretty consumed with work. So it could take just a little time to hook-up. But he is one of those personable guys who is very easy to talk to, and pretty soon you feel like you are talking to and laughing with one of your friends. I could give anyone who wants to call him after Tuesday his number by P.M. I know times are difficult these days. But a top down drive in the fresh air, isolated from the world you cruise through,  😎, might help make the troubled times, less so.   -    Carl 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

There is no automotive hero more highly esteemed, than a restorer of cars.

Well said, Carl.  It's an act of kindness to the

historical record.  I heartily agree!

2 hours ago, C Carl said:

...cars of this period still seem like almost new to me in some strange way.

If time stands still, you should stay young!

My 100-year-old friend, born in 1920, says of the

1918 Cadillac touring car which he bought in 1939,

"It does't seem like an old car to me!"  And he looks

and acts 20 years younger than his chronological age.

Keeping an active interest in life does a lot for a person.