Valve spring compressor for mopar flat heads.

Brooklyn Beer

It takes less to turn the wheel than to compress the other type in this picture.  The easiest one on the hands is the second picture but it is more expensive.

images.jpg

71n6S9qcP6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've got 2 or 3 around here someplace, they are not rare in the old car world. Flatheads do not need stiff springs, the valve train is so light. The springs are easy to compress. One of mine you just squeeze like a pair of pliers. They used to turn up at swap meets for a few bucks. No doubt you can pick one up there, or from the popular auction site, or maybe your old car friends have some laying around.

You don't need the big C clamp job in Tinindian's picture, that is for OHV engines.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tinindian said:

It takes less to turn the wheel than to compress the other type in this picture.  The easiest one on the hands is the second picture but it is more expensive.

images.jpg

71n6S9qcP6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Chris,

I have these same three types and agree with Tinindian.

In the shop, the c-clamp type gets used the most because it's the easiest. But, to save space in my travel tool box, I use the screw-handle type at the top, which is easier to tighten than the lever type in the middle of those three.

And if you need to get just one, the screw handle type will work well on your Franklin's overhead valves without removing the head. Just run compressed air in through a compression gauge fitting, or old spark plug base, or use the old "fill the cylinder with clothes line rope" trick to hold the valve closed.  Been there.

They show up at garage /yard sales and fleaBay.

Paul

• Like 1

I believe I had trouble getting the C style one in position on My 36 Chrysler.  with the manifolds in the way along with everything else.  The smaller ones worked great.  I believe I used the wheel style one and again used it on the 48 Plymouth when I did a valve job in car after breaking two springs.  Never touched the C clamp style one again.  It's still in the box somewhere.  I have since I think ended up with a few more that "found me".  Usually once people know you mess with old cars you end up inheriting odd tools you may never use but it's sure nice to have them just in case for someone to inherit from you. 

Still waiting to inherit one of those Miller or Amoco brake tools.  

I did recently get to clean out an old Mopar dealership well picked over but ended up with several totes of Miller odd ball old tools I have no idea what they are for and a pile of Misc.  Mopar small fasteners and what not.  Messing with old cars it sure is nice to have Junk bins,  especially of NOS fasteners and hardware.  I just found some special retainers they used on late 40's early 50's Mopars to put trim on with.  kind of like a Sombrero hat with a hole in the middle.  Of course I found them Yesterday,  a day after I made something up for my 51 Dodge.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I believe I had trouble getting the C style one in position on My 36 Chrysler.  with the manifolds in the way along with everything else.

I have a C style one and it doesn't fit at all on my 22 cadillac, so you have to use the screw style one - I don't know about you guys but mine requires a lot of pressure to compress my springs (which are all originally) 

• Like 1

Assuming you have a valve Grinder with the unit to do the seats in the block as well.  I picked my really nice Black and Decker Cabinet model (think quality 40's industrial) with more stones than you can imagine for $25 at a Chevy dealer auction going out of business.  They seem to be pretty cheap.  I actually use the stones in my Dewalt cordless drill. It's alot easier than the monster unit that came with it. 

Ironically my High school shop teacher stopped in my old shop 20 years after I graduated from school to visit and showed me how to set it all up and use it on my 36 Chrysler. 

Yes I did both my engines in the car.  That's the beauty of them is you don't need to remove the engine.  From what I have seen,  That one is way overpriced.  Lots of old garages closing down or old car guys getting out of the hobby so there are alot of these machines out there very cheap. 

• Like 1

I think they are all overpriced on ebay.  I just wanted to make sure I was looking at the correct item.  I have a plan to rebuild a flat 6 for my 46 Dodge starting in the fall.  Never did one before coming from SBC's in my youth with a long military break in between.  

Chris,

As Auburnseeker said, they turn up. Found my K-O valve and seat grinding equipment through the local Penny Saver weekly sales paper. Keep watching things like Craig's List, local  papers, and yard/garage sales. Valve & seat grinders were common tools when all gas stations did auto repair and motor oils were not as good, plus using leaded gas required valve jobs be done more often.  

Paul

Mostly speed of getting so many seats done accurately.  The hand driven methods are much slower. Especially if there are hardened seats. And that can be back-breaking leaning over fenders for that long.

Plus, the motor driven type tend to be more accurate because of possibility of  rocking an egg-beater type crank handle while leaning over to reach the engine. That can effect grinding pressure being truly concentric. 

Hand powered lapping the valves is ok for some quick clean up, if that's all that's needed. But, it's rare that an old engine just needs a quick cleanup. That does not remove years of  wear and seat erosion, plus reshape the seat to proper seat/valve face angles like the motor driven stones do after redressing their faces with the diamond-tipped dressing tool and stand that comes with valve seat grinder sets.  And without a valve face grinder, your only doing half the wear removal, unless your able to buy new valves.

Won't know what it needs until you open it up. But if the seats and valves are really beat, it might be better just to pay someone, who knows what they are doing, to come with a seat grinder and also have them reface the valves.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a vintage seat cutting tool on e-bay. I leaned over the engine and hand ground the seats. It was awkward tiresome work. Intakes were easy. The stellite exhaust valve seats were indeed exhausting. Lol. I used a speed wrench mostly. #6 was a tough go. I did the Work over the period of about a week of evenings.  I bought new valves and lapped them in. It was humbling, rewarding, cash saving work.  I netted great results as all my cylinders gained compression.