• 4 weeks later...

Terry, you might remember seeing our 1916 D-45 Buick at East Moline last Summer.  The engine has a New Old Stock set of these AC Titans in it.  I bought about 19 or 20 of these old plugs from a fellow in Arizona who was retired from AC Delco and was a serious spark plug collector.  Our Buick was built in the calendar year of 1915 and these AC Titans were what was in the car when it left Flint.  There are a lot of interesting plug boxes shown in this thread, however, I didn't see any like the ones I have.  What can you tell me about a possible time frame for these plugs?  I have nine of these boxes and they are all in about this same condition and I do want to hang onto them.  This has been a really interesting thread and I have learned a lot on here.  Thanks for any information that you can share with everyone on here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

P4121669.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 10:00 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

Terry, you might remember seeing our 1916 D-45 Buick at East Moline last Summer.  The engine has a New Old Stock set of these AC Titans in it.  I bought about 19 or 20 of these old plugs from a fellow in Arizona who was retired from AC Delco and was a serious spark plug collector.  Our Buick was built in the calendar year of 1915 and these AC Titans were what was in the car when it left Flint.  There are a lot of interesting plug boxes shown in this thread, however, I didn't see any like the ones I have.  What can you tell me about a possible time frame for these plugs?  I have nine of these boxes and they are all in about this same condition and I do want to hang onto them.  This has been a really interesting thread and I have learned a lot on here.  Thanks for any information that you can share with everyone on here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

P4121669.JPG

It's very difficult to date the boxes as production of these continued for long time periods.  Better to understand the general timing on the various twists and turns of the Champion and AC companies, then try to figure out where these might fall in place.

Albert Champion formed the Albert Champion company in 1905 in Boston Mass. There was substantial backing from an auto accessory supplier there and the plugs were branded as Champion. Albert Champion was President of that company, Frank Stranahan was Treasurer, and his brother, Robert, was clerk.  In 1908, Albert Champion left to work with William Durant, forming the Champion Ignition Company in Flint Michigan.  Plugs were or course supplied to Buick automobiles.  While the Stranahans continued to produce their own "Champion" spark plugs, Albert Champion produced plugs for Durant.  The initials AC were used on them but advertising, packaging, etc. indicated the plugs were manufactured by the "Champion Ignitiion Company".  In 1910, the Strahahan Champion Spark Plug Company signed a supply contract to provide plugs to Willys-Overland and relocated the company to Toledo, Ohio, closer to where cars were produced.  Albert Champion continued to produce his "AC" Plugs but lawsuits were filed by the Stranahans regarding use of the "Champion" name.  Eventually those suits were settled (1920) and at that time, reference to the "Champion Ignition Company" were dropped on Albert Champion's "AC" products. 

So, your boxes - the "Champion Ignition Company" box dates prior to the company name change but since it states 'Flint, Michigan" on the box, it would be from after the company relocated to that location.  The "AC" plug boxes with no reference to "Champion Ignition Company" are post 1920.  The "AC" box on the top left of your photo is an earlier style but dates no earlier than the dates shown on it. 

Hope this helps somewhat, even though it's not possible for me to assign more specific dates to the boxes.

Terry

• Like 1

Terry, perhaps I should explain about the plug boxes in my photo.  They are all the same as far as the graphics go.  They are all imprinted with AC on the one end.  The lower lengthwise box is just turned 90 degrees to show how the sides were imprinted.  The small wording in the upper right hand corner reads as follows - Patented April 13, 1915 and Patented November 15, 1910.  I'm sorry that I did not spell that out in my initial posting.   At any rate, they are a really old and unusual spark plug box.  Thanks for your educated information.  History sure is interesting to say the least.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Just when you think you've seen them all...

this fabulous set of plugs now resides in my collection.  It is a set of very rare Flynn spark plugs, new in their original special case.  According the ad, the case is specially designed as a container to not only protect the plugs, it is used to clean them as well. A cleaning fluid (probably kerosene or even gasoline) could be put into the container to clean soot and carbon from the tips of the plugs, and help keep them clean and ready to install.  The advertisement is the only bit of info we've come across.  One of our super-sleuth detectives in among a group of fellow Spark Plug collectors has been unable to find any patent information for these plugs. The canister on my set is marked "Pat Applied For."  Perhaps the patent was never granted?  We've not yet found another example of the plug of the case for them among other collectors.  Of course a dozen could turn up tomorrow, but the feeling is this set may very well be the only one around.  I agree with a few other collectors who feel these plugs were intended to be "salesman's samples.'   A few were produced and traveling salesmen then called on garages, auto parts stores, and dealers, taking orders trying to raise capital for production.  It could be if the patent was not granted, wide-scale production and distribution never occurred.  if that happened, the company may have closed down quickly and this idea never really got off the ground.  The few in existence were in the hands of those salesmen.  Great story, very plausible, but for now, just our thinking.   Any info appreciated, and if there are any others like it out there, let me know. 

The question often asked is "where'd you find it?"  Actually, it found me.  A good friend tipped me off about it.  Seems it was in the hands of a West Coast antique dealer who specializes in mechanical devices, patent models and salesman's samples.  It was spotted on his list of for sale items on the internet/   Of course it didn't take me long to decide on adding this to my collection.  So far, it's been a great year for plugs!

Terry

Flynn case.jpg

Flynn plug set of four.jpg

Flynn set of four with container.jpg

Flynn advertising.jpg

Thanks. Will try that and post what info might be available. 

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.  My grandad recently passed away and has been hoarding things he knew would one day be of value and I came across this. I know what it is and that it’s a very rare thing to come up for purchase….. I would like to know the right place to list it for sale so it will go from me to someone with a collection as great as the ones I’m seeing on here. I’m sure this would make a great addition to one of them.

DBACA81B-B499-4EC2-A8A4-0ADD2A484D71.jpeg

600D20ED-C94D-4370-8564-859352D8D784.jpeg

Is it stamped brass? Painted tin? Condition is everything. Also graphic appeal. Both are on the weak side unfortunately. Yes, it might be "rare" but I'd suggest it has somewhat limited appeal. Spark plug collectors might have some interest. Try ebay to reach the largest possible market. Keep us advised on what you decide.

Terry 

• Like 1

Your collection continues to grow!

I'm going through a small collection recently acquired and will post pics of a few duplicates that will be available.

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 1:31 PM, Batlowboy69 said:

Hello all.  My grandad recently passed away and has been hoarding things he knew would one day be of value and I came across this. I know what it is and that it’s a very rare thing to come up for purchase….. I would like to know the right place to list it for sale so it will go from me to someone with a collection as great as the ones I’m seeing on here. I’m sure this would make a great addition to one of them.

DBACA81B-B499-4EC2-A8A4-0ADD2A484D71.jpeg

600D20ED-C94D-4370-8564-859352D8D784.jpeg

So, still pondering things? What do you think it's worth?

We have a place in rural Indiana and love some of the small town antique shops down there. A couple that runs one in Peru Indiana has found some interesting things for me in the last couple of years. I got a text from him this morning about this and they asked me if I was interested, and I said absolutely. I’m thinking it is maybe from the 1940s? The display shows lots of different models of their plugs, and I was pleased to know that the storage compartment in the back of the display had about 40 spark plugs and some copper gaskets. 

D891245E-923E-46C7-B7E1-CE4F5DAC722B.jpeg

0B2E2EDE-E58B-46AD-84FC-EC4E7A91E509.jpeg

DA278855-800E-487B-A946-92FB66A9A220.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

What's the name stamped on the mica insulator plug on the right side?  can't quite make it out in the photo.

Terry

9 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Hi Terry, it is HIRSCH.

Nice find!  It's not a common item at all.  Here are a couple of examples of their porcelain plugs from my collection-

Terry

Hirsch.jpg

• Like 1

Your collection continues to grow!  Not long ago I managed to acquire a small collection and after adding a few to my own, there are some nice left-overs that I'll be selling.  Will bring them to Hershey so be sure to check there if we don't connect sooner. 

Terry

Added to my collection recently - all the way from France is this fantastic Eyquem priming plug.  It has for me been one of the absolute top most wanted plugs for many years.  there are some around and I've been out-bid on a couple of them in auctions.  I've also passed on a couple of them that were in bad condition, or had been modified.  This is one of the nicest I've seen, with most of the original nickle plating still intact.  Knurling on the soft bakelite knob is crisp and undamaged.  It's a rarity in this condition. 

When the knob is turned to open the little cup on top, the long bar automatically shorts out the plug.  That prevents inadvertent sparks form igniting the gas fumes while pouring a few drops into the top to prime for a cold weather start. 

Was super glad to add this one to my collection.  It's been a great year for plugs so far.

Terry

Eyquem top primer.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 9:57 AM, Terry Bond said:

Added to my collection recently - all the way from France is this fantastic Eyquem priming plug.  It has for me been one of the absolute top most wanted plugs for many years.  there are some around and I've been out-bid on a couple of them in auctions.  I've also passed on a couple of them that were in bad condition, or had been modified.  This is one of the nicest I've seen, with most of the original nickle plating still intact.  Knurling on the soft bakelite knob is crisp and undamaged.  It's a rarity in this condition. 

When the knob is turned to open the little cup on top, the long bar automatically shorts out the plug.  That prevents inadvertent sparks form igniting the gas fumes while pouring a few drops into the top to prime for a cold weather start. 

Was super glad to add this one to my collection.  It's been a great year for plugs so far.

Terry

Eyquem top primer.jpg

WOW! What a cool plug that is. Never seen one of those before. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Here's a neat one from Hershey this year. It's a Fisher center primer. The cup on top can be unscrewed a few turns to drop some gas in for easier cold weather starts. I've been looking for one for years.  Found several other neat plugs that I'll post photos of later.

Terry

20231012_172040.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got busy during a recent rainy afternoon and cleaned up some recent additions to my collection, including a few Hershey purchases.  First group - both the fire Fly on the left and the Sharp Spark on the far right were made by the same company - Sharp Spark, Cleveland, Ohio.  These are from the 1908-12 time frame.  Sharp Spark company was a prolific manufacturer of privately branded plugs.  Not sure who made Community Service Station but it's a rarity that was probably made for a small town garage.  Everfire is unusual as it grounds directly to the plug body near the tip. There is no separate ground wire.

Second group,  the "Special for Fords" is one of many such plugs sold in auto parts stores, by catalog and in small town garages that were made specially for the Model T.  Eventually, Henry clamped down on the unauthorized use of the Ford name, but it did little good.   The "Hot Point" is an interesting plug.  It has a "tube" made as part of the base of the plug.  The center electrode extends down into the tube and grounds against the side of it near the base.  Supposed to help "inject" the spark into the combustion chamber.  Last plug is a good example of a plug made and branded for a small town hardware store.  

Last batch - the plug on the left is a "Perfection" brand.  Very early mica insulator plug, probably about 1902.  The plug on the right is labeled "M" and is unusual because the base is made from cast aluminum.  I'm told the "M" stands for "Montgomery Hardware," a mid-western hardware company with an aftermarket auto parts department. 

Ya just never know what'll turn up at a swap meet or from another collector with extras to trade or sell. 

Terry

Plugs group 1.jpg

Plugs group 2.jpg

Plugs group 4.jpg

• Like 5

But wait...there's more!!!

Following up on a lead from Hershey, these came from the family of a Model T guy. It was his accumulation of old spark plugs he thought were interesting. There are some T coil box parts in the bottom of this cardboard tray also, but some interesting plugs are now a part of my collection.  They still turn up.

20231030_181140.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...