1953 Buick Super 4 door Sedan Riviera

Native

Riviera was also used on 4 door Buick’s from about 1950 to 1953.  I’m not exactly sure but I do not believe there was ever an emblem or plate on a so called Riviera. It was included in the name of the car only.  I may be incorrect but I believe I am right on my years.  

All those European theater military vets knew about France, the French Riviera, and the Cannes film festival. Weren't no higher style to cash in on.

I went into Navy boot camp in 1967 after owning a 1958 Chevy Nomad. You can start some arguments on that one, too!

7 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Riviera was also used on 4 door Buick’s from about 1950 to 1953.  I’m not exactly sure but I do not believe there was ever an emblem or plate on a so called Riviera. It was included in the name of the car only.  I may be incorrect but I believe I am right on my years.  

My door sill plates say "Custom Built Riviera"

The Riviera name was first used in 1949 for the two-door "pillarless" hardtop; there was no B pillar.  After a couple of years of designating the pillarless hardtop it was used in the names of other models that had longer wheelbases and plusher interiors. Google Buick Riviera and you'll get the basic story of the use of the Riviera name up until 1963 when the Riviera became a unique model in the Buick line.  (Caution - Wikipedia is only as good as the guys who contribute to it - guys like us.)

• Like 1