Please ID 30's(?) car

Thank you all.  Never expected a Graham-Paige.  Grandpa owned a tavern after Prohibition ended and worked for US Steel until he had a stroke sometime in the early 20’s but I guess he did ok in the meantime.  The original picture is not very clear either.  Does anyone know what state issued that plate?  I always thought they were in Illinois in the late 20’s and  through the 30’s until  my Grandfather passed in 1937.  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

A bit of detail on the marque of Graham Paige. Paige Detroit manufactured the Paige and Jewett automobiles and some trucks between 1909 and 1927. coincidentally the same years of the model T Ford.  The Graham brothers bought the Paige Detroit company with the money from settling with the Dodge family selling out their company. The Graham Brothers had for years built trucks using Dodge parts and sold through Dodge dealers. They wanted to build automobiles, and Harry Jewett wanting to retire from Paige seemed the perfect fit. Paige had been one of the most profitable independent producers for most of fifteen years under Harry Jewett's direction, and the changing landscape of the manufacturing industry had recently cause supply problems for them. The bigger companies (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Hudson, Willys, Nash , and others) had begun buying up most of the individual parts and component manufacturing companies, and manufacturers like Paige began having difficulty getting engines, axles, and bodies as their suppliers were folded into the larger manufacturers.

The Graham Brothers bought out Paige Detroit midway through the '27 model year, and continued for a few months under the Paige name. The first '28 models were called "Paige-Graham-Built", I have seen only a few of those (and have a radiator emblem for one, in very poor condition). The first months of '28 models looked like the '27 Paige models, with just a few updates. Partway through the '28 model year, Graham introduced their new design! It was a step up in keeping with changing styles and mechanics. 

I have never read a specific month at which the style change was made, but believe it may have been very late calendar '27 or early calendar '28. Like so many changes made in automobile history that didn't fit in the typical model year change (around September most years?), opinions vary. It may be appropriate to call the OP car a "later '28"?

Edited by wayne sheldon
spotted a typo :( (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fleek said:

Looks like the tag is 1932 on my big monitor. Not real clear but I believe that is correct.

Yep, looks like 1932 on this big monitor too.  

• Like 1

1928 Graham-Paige 610 Sedan

Ask a man who owns one.... Great car, the crank hole cover is the give away for a 610.  Graham-Paige had a hard time keeping the 610 in stock it was one of there best selling cars in 1928, mine has the optional disk wheels.

210223353_1928GrahamPaige610Sedan.jpg.cd3880a590d31d631ffa02f4434d8126.jpg

Looks like Illinois plate

ORIGINAL 1932 ILLINOIS license plate "990-490" YOM Garage Man Cave ...

Edited by Graham Man (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you are interested in the Graham-Paige company, and the times that they were living there is a great book...  The book talks about the economic times, the successes and failures of the Graham brothers.  Unfortunately it is out of print, I find copies on ebay and Amazon.

s-l1600.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 5:56 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

Your family members were unusually tall for that era, note in comparison to the Graham-Paige 610.

Must be something about the photo because although my uncle(standing next to my Grandmother) was about 6’5 my Dad(on the left) was 5’8 and my other Uncle was about 5’9 or so.  And my Grandmother was short, maybe 5’4. Grandfather died long before I was born. My Dad was about 19 in that photo so...don’t know.  Wondered about that myself when I rediscovered it a few months ago.