Memoribilia to view - A guide

That's what I was thinking. National had that distinative shape to the top of the radiator. Paintings, prints and  advertising items with automobiles in them generally used allegorical images representing no specific vehicle. This one is different. I'm convinced the artist used a National as the "model" for the original painting.  

Terry

• Like 2

Time to contribute a few things again. Here are some Yellow taxi cab items, the screw on hubcap is from the Philadelphia company and dates from the 1920s, the hat emblem dates from the same era. This hat badge was affixed to the driver's cap ( like a military officers dress cap) above the brim/visor. The badge is 3 3/4 inches wide and 2 1/4 inches at center.

The French chauffeurs society car club badge is mid 1930s , I restored this about 45 years ago with new enamel and had it replated as well, lots of patience to do that from a decent but bent original that broke out the glass enamel. Can't believe I had the patience to do that !!!! 6 inches across the wing tips and  3 1/4 inches diameter circle. It is marked on the back it was made in Paris but the letters of who made it are hard to see with the reflection of the plating.  to much stuff- all surrounding my library and archives. But it makes me happy but is also Very distracting while trying to look something up. Before the evil bay days one could find stuff a bit easier to add to ones collection and the fact I had a friend who acted as my agent in England to look for stuff in Europe helped.

I had a 7+ hour plane ride home from London with a wood and glass 1925 toy double deck bus sitting on my lap the whole trip because I didn't want it broken in the overhead compartment or in the hold of the plane with the luggage - it is huge.  Will post a photo sometime, not a small item, people on the plane thought I was crazy  - they were correct. But that bus toy still makes me happy to look at every day. 😬

YellowCabbadge&hubcap.jpg

Frenchchauffeuremblembadge.jpg

• Like 1

More cool stuff surfaces!!!  Thanks for posting for us to enjoy.   Dave-that last item-is it letterhead paper?  I've got a small binder of different kinds I've collected over the years - here is one I used create my own personal letterhead from.  Shown is an image of the original, and then one modified for my own use.

Letterhead paper original unaltered.jpg

Letterhead stationary finished product.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I guess it is time for another "Wall Hanger" from my collection.  I apologize for the wordy introduction.  Growing up on a Iowa farm our next door neighbor farmed with J.I.Case tractors and had a cast iron case Eagle at the entrance to his driveway.  As we drove past my father would remark, "there's Ol Abe"  He also had a Case touring car that he drove on Sundays when the weather was nice.  I purchased this advertisement at a Nebraska auction in the late 80s where the auctioneer related a short history of OLD ABE and I researched the rest.  

In the spring of 1861 Chippewa Indians captured a fledgling eagle in northern Wisconsin.  They traded it to a local farmer for a bushel of corn who sold it to Company C of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment which was recruiting men in the early days of the Civil War.  They named it "OLD ABE" after their commander in chief.  During the war it went through 38 battles including the Vicksburg Campaign.  The eagle reportedly broke loose many time always to return to his company.  After the war he was quartered in the state house at Madison until his death in 1881 from smoke inhalation from a fire in the capital building.

OLD ABE was adopted as the JI Case trademark in 1865 and moved from the tree to  perched on top of the world in 1910  I apologize for the photo imperfections but the old glass is irregular and wavy and may be over 100 years old.

IMG_0271.jpg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
Addition (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That's a great print!   My Case eagle is a bit heavier - cast bronze.  It's a family heirloom and was a gift from Susan's father.  He was a castings engineer and worked at Case.

Terry

Case Eagle.jpg

• Like 3

The eagle itself is 16" tall. Quite heavy and very detailed. I was told it was the pattern used to create molds for the cast iron fire doors on the front of their steam engines.  I don't know anything about how those were cast, but considering the source of info, I'd think that's correct.

Terry

Here is a neat thrift store find!  I always go through thrift store picture frames looking for nice old ones that might be suitable to frame some of my loose prints and artwork.  This neat frame turned up recently - $1.98.   Pretty neat.  Finds like this keep up my interest in junk shops, second-hand stores and even yard sales.  You never now what'll turn up.

Print lady driving early auto.jpg

• Like 3

Looking for some help from the members on this one. As many of you know I am slowly going through my CC storage unit. I found this yesterday. Hadn’t seen the light of day in al least 25 years. Given to me by a old friend who was a great “picker” in the Peteroliana field. I never framed it because (1) since it was a gift it wasn’t worth much and (2)I thought it was a reproduction. (3). Until we moved to Texas I had no wall space. Looking at it now it will be framed and on what little wall space I have left

24 X 36 on heavy linen

4781F4F8-E00D-4002-9CF2-23CB87E2DDBC.jpeg

• Like 1

Cool advertising banner!  Just guessing at the date but believe 1940s?? I've never had the wall space for stuff like that unfortunately. At one time they were really inexpensive, but not now.  As the price of porcelain has gone thru the roof interest has turned to things like this. You were in the right place at the right time.

Terry

Here is a pic of the first print I ever bought.  It came from a fellow collector In Scotland many years ago. The artist is Sanderson Wells, Gt Britain. He was a well

-known artist painting many wonderful country sporting scenes, many of horse riding, fox hunting, etc. Lithographs seem rare and as far as I know, this is the only motoring image he ever did. 

20210821_163650-1_resized.jpg

4 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Looking for some help from the members on this one. As many of you know I am slowly going through my CC storage unit. I found this yesterday. Hadn’t seen the light of day in al least 25 years. Given to me by a old friend who was a great “picker” in the Peteroliana field. I never framed it because (1) since it was a gift it wasn’t worth much and (2)I thought it was a reproduction. (3). Until we moved to Texas I had no wall space. Looking at it now it will be framed and on what little wall space I have left

24 X 36 on heavy linen

4781F4F8-E00D-4002-9CF2-23CB87E2DDBC.jpeg

Does this have grommets? If not, is it a poster mounted on linen? Got more pictures? 

Found this jewel this Summer. First one I ever saw for sale and the guy had 5 or 6 of them. Of course I have only seen a couple of Vitameters so there probably isn't much call for it anymore.

Vitane.jpeg

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Thanks Mike and Terry. No Grommets  and never framed that I can tell.  Did these originate from Goodyear for dealer use or a separate commercial endeavor?  No mfg data anywhere 

Get me more pictures, I have a guy that deals a lot in paper/cloth/litho stuff I can show it to.

23 minutes ago, Mike McCandless said:

Finally got this piece up

What a great piece of advertising.  Thanks for saving it.  It is nice to have "Wall Space"  Do you know the age?

I will take some more photos tomorrow

4 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Here is a pic of the first print I ever bought.  It came from a fellow collector In Scotland many years ago. The artist is Sanderson Wells, Gt Britain. He was a well

What a wonderful start to collecting.  It is fun to go back to the beginning and enjoy the memories

On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, Walt G said:

The General Motors Craftsman's Guild for many years had annual contests for people to submit models they built ( usually made of wood, metal, possibly some plastic small parts) for competition. There was a great book written and published on this subject. The models were sometimes returned to the builders but not always. Some wound up being displayed on assorted GM facilities. This one was in the Ohio GM Body plant, when that facility closed the lobby displays were cleared out and most stuff trashed. This was saved by one of the workmen and I bought it from the grand daughter of the fellow who took it off the trash heap and had boxes of stuff her grandfather saved . This was decades ago. It is made of wood, metal trim is all hand formed. missing one headlamp lens.  I don't really collect post WWII era stuff ( this dates from 1953) but this is a real treasure for me and sits next to the wood styling model for a body for a Franklin sedan that is 30 years earlier  I also have in my collection ( that is the size of a small dog house!)

Anyone getting weary of all this obscure stuff that mostly disappeared a few years after it was made? .  No, I don't live in a museum ( !!!  ) nor consider the stuff I have "investments" , the history and the visual impact it gives me every time I see it just makes me feel good and I feel honored to be the current curator . Eye Candy artifacts.

Walt

Stylingmodel1950s.jpg

STYLINGmodelGMguild.jpg

I still have the two models that I made for The Craftsman Guild in 1966 & 1967.  They were on display at The Gilmore Museum for the last two years.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 3:17 PM, trimacar said:

I love that roadster Converse, is it a copy of a specific car?  Converse made a Pierce Arrow touring, I was able to snag one a number of years ago and have never regretted paying the price for it, which was probably high at the time...…..this picture really shows the warts, but it looks nice on display.....

Converse Pierce side.jpg

There is a catalog of their toys on that one auction site at the moment. Sorry for the blurry pic

F2582398-17B6-4BEB-AE40-5E3EFE91E3DF.jpeg

Interesting ad from 1940-41. In 1940 Brown and Williamson introduced the “Modern American Airplane” series of trading cards attached to a pack of Cigarettes.  They also sponsered the “Wings of Destiny” radio program. This ad is 20 by 30 on heavy cardboard and was purchased at Hershey in the 80’s. Is that a Piper J-3?

02540EA7-5390-411A-8C28-C899FD23DFB5.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
correction (see edit history)

Added this nice Royal Dolton vase to my collection recently. 14" tall, 2 different motoring scenes on it. They are hard to find without damage to the handles. This one is perfect. Looking forward to hearing everyone's reports on goodies found at Hershey. 

Terry

20210614_142303-1.jpg

20210614_142315.jpg