To sell or not to sell

Mikefit

A question for the Table of Knowledge:   What would the members think of advertising a 61 T Bird for sale at this time with the c19 going on and so many out of work . Would it be best to tell the lady now is not the time to sell please give me your thoughts and opinions and will tell her what you all thought.    Mike

I wouldn't think it would hurt to post. Those looking for a 61 Tbird will see. OTOH if no response in a week or so, pull the advt and maybe post in a different venue to get those who look for new advts.

• Like 1

With all the economic uncertainty these days it really is anyone's guess. As a number of people who regularly  deal in the hobby car market have observed , several segments of the old car market were already in trouble to one degree or another pre - covid. The virus have just made things that much worse.

Old cars still seem to be selling ; but from what I can see , only if the price is what would have been considered a definite bargain over the last several years. Price it to sell and it probably will. Otherwise potential buyers seem to be holding very tightly to their wallets.

Greg in Canada

There will never be a better time to sell than today. Values on 98% of all old cars are going down and your car will be worth less next year than it is this year. The market is not going to "come back" or "get better" next year, this is the new reality. Right now people are at home, they're on the internet all day, they're shopping, and they are deciding that cars might be more fun than watching their 401k disintegrate.  We are selling A LOT of cars right now in all price ranges and I'm having trouble getting cars on the input side because so many people are sitting out hoping that things will get better. The market is busy, but it's going to be flooded in a few months when everyone decides it's OK to sell and values will fall further.

If it's on your mind to sell, then sell now, no hesitation. The car has peaked in value and is on its way down. If you don't enjoy the car anymore, take the money now and enjoy yourself.

• Like 3

61's are not an easy sale unless something extraordinary.  Right now as Matt says is probably the best time with the most captive audience and people getting anxious to get out and have some fun when they have the green light.  My internet sales have been above normal and i fear when the green light is given they will tank as people will want to live real life and not a VR one they have been stuck with for the last 10 weeks or so.  

Advertising is cheap; in many cases, free.  Never hurts to get the word out.  It only takes one buyer who always wanted one just like yours to seal the deal.  You can always say no to any offers below your minimum.  So why not list?   As a teenager, I used to hang out at the local auto repair shop in a small farming village.  The owner/ chief mechanic/sage used to say: "There's an a**hole for every seat!"  You just have to find him.