Help Identifying Old Jack

kcmuir

Hi, I found this jack in the shed when I moved in and I haven't been able to find out any definite information and was hoping someone could help.

If anyone has any idea on the model/year it would be really appreciated, thank you!

IMG_20200525_140123.jpg

IMG_20200525_140714.jpg

Looks like about a ten or more ton (depends on the diameter of the cylinder) that couldabin made anytime in the last fifty-sixty yar. When they work they are very good jacks.

Thinking the .020 means 20 tonnnes ?

Am sure that someone collects worthless jacks but valuable, no. I just need ones that are easy to lift.

Now for a historical question: I have an  aunchient Hein-Werner floor jack that is rated at 1 1/4 tons but is built more like (and weighs about the same) a modern 3 ton. Did ratings change at some point ? (Have rebuilt at least twice).

hein-warner.jpg

3 hours ago, dc-8dave said:

Hello Zeke,

It looks just like a 12 ton Blackhawk that I have, if need be I can take a picture of mine. I purchased mine used at a estate sale 20 years ago and it just keeps on going and going, just like that pink bunny.

I have a smaller bottle jack that has the same base and outside mechanisms. There is a part of a Blackhawk 

label on it. It’s old but I’m not sure of the age. Mine is still very functional. Zeke

That's a great quality repairable old bottle jack.

Unlike Harbor Freight low quality import  bottle jacks.

A usable tool more than a collector tool.

Doesn't look like it was used a lot as the screw top pad is hardly worn unlike my bottle Jack's I use a lot.

Blackhawk are in the upper crust of jacks. Any I have seen have that distinctive ridged top cylinder casting.  I always consider them worth rebuilding. The hydraulics contractor that we used extensively on the ship I worked on said his shop could cost effectively repair any of the old 

decent quality North American jacks and other shop hydraulics, press rams etc. He said the repairs might run as much as a new offshore unit in a worst case scenario, but could then be expected to last at least 25 years in normal home shop use vs the decade if you are lucky 

many experience with the offshore, el -cheapo units.

Like others have said , more of a usable vintage tool than a true collectable.

Greg in Canada