1930 Franklin air cooled

This Is Mine... and I didn't post it here because of the critical nature of the preservationists, and the people who critique the authenticity of each car for sale.... such as, 'those are not original Franklin tail lights', or 'the parking lights are missing', or look at the mess of gauges and switches on that dash board'...... you all know how it goes here on this Cars For Sale sight.... so I thought I would feel out the general public's response, using Craigslist in several large cities near me, in the western states.... before I advertise it here or on the Franklin sight, or HCCA, or Hemmings....... I now have it running well again, and looking fairly nice, and it will never be in better shape than it is right now, as long as I own it and drive it often on these rough dirt roads where I live... so while it is in a decent, derivable, very usable condition.....  I thought I would go FISHING in the bigger pool.. and see what the interest might be ......  I sure hate to ruin and beat up, a nice vintage 'DRIVER'........  I actually enjoy the process of making them road worthy and looking nice again... more than the 'owning' of them.... I am ready and interested in starting another project....  thanks for listening,  Sunny

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, sunnybaba said:

This Is Mine... and I didn't post it here because of the critical nature of the preservationists, and the people who critique the authenticity of each car for sale.... such as, 'those are not original Franklin tail lights', or 'the parking lights are missing', or look at the mess of gauges and switches on that dash board'...... you all know how it goes here on this Cars For Sale sight.... so I thought I would feel out the general public's response, using Craigslist in several large cities near me, in the western states.... before I advertise it here or on the Franklin sight, or HCCA, or Hemmings....... I now have it running well again, and looking fairly nice, and it will never be in better shape than it is right now, as long as I own it and drive it often on these rough dirt roads where I live... so while it is in a decent, derivable, very usable condition.....  I thought I would go FISHING in the bigger pool.. and see what the interest might be ......  I sure hate to ruin and beat up, a nice vintage 'DRIVER'........  I actually enjoy the process of making them road worthy and looking nice again... more than the 'owning' of them.... I am ready and interested in starting another project....  thanks for listening,  Sunny

To address your point:  

The galley of people who critique usually do so when people post their:  "My car is "Practically Perfect in Every Way" and/or worth "top dollar" when it is NOT Perfect and/or not worth top dollar - you very rarely ever see critics on well thought out adverting that lists the flaws and have realistic pricing.  

You also see the critique when people say literally little to nothing (the last thing anyone here wants is for a seller to buy unrealistically - it is a turn off to the hobby  = we want them to buy a car that fits them and their skill sets and then hopefully buy more and more after that.  

And, most cars have a defined value no matter what the faults are - so just because you list 10 plus things wrong does not mean your car is only worth a dollar.  

Do a post with:  Here is the good list and here is the bad list - you will probably be quickly rewarded for being honest and ....

• Like 8

It is Running nicely... I don't really have a broken transmission..... just one broken fork... and the rest of the transmission was completely rebuilt when it was installed, 23,000 miles ago...... it looks real good inside, no wear on the gears and no chips in the teeth, tight bearings, even the forks show very little wear... I screened the oil out of it with a very fine screen... no metal flakes or metallic sheen in the oil... the new fork is on the way... and will be installed early next week..... when driving with the 4 speed tranny, it makes zero noise, and even putting my ear on the shift lever... it is quiet....   so... by the time someone responds to my ad... and they want to drive it... it will be back on the road... running nicely as it should.....

The good.....

It is the most comfortable prewar car I have ever driven ,owned, or ridden in..... very smooth ride on rough roads..... very comfortable  leather 'couch-like' seats....

With the brakes all rebuilt, and having the big 14" drums.. it stops very nicely, without locking up the brakes.   For such a heavy car (4,360 lbs)..... it stops amazingly well.....

The Doors shut with that nice high quality 'click' that a true, well built, luxury car should have....  There are NO body rattles... even on these Rough, dirt roads.

With this rebuilt steering box, and rebuilt king pins and tie rod  ends..... it steers straight and does not wander or shimmy at all.... you can even take your hands off the wheel going 30 mph on a gravel road.

It starts right up... runs smooth.... accelerates smoothly and has LOTS of power..... and loves to climb hills.... no smoke from the exhaust after it warms up a little.......

The engine was completely rebuilt about 23,000 miles ago, fully balanced to racing standards.     6:6 high compression head, rod inserts,  new stallite coated exhaust valves, new clutch plate with lining installed.

12 volt conversion, rewired starter & generator  ... compression test;  135,130,128,130,128 and 131

welded in steel plates to reinforce frame where the front spring hangers bolt on.... installed a complete front end from a series 16 Franklin...

New, Bright, low voltage LED, headlights (with new reflectors) , Turn signals (with hazard flasher), tail & brake lights, and backup lights.....

It even has a good heater, new glass and window channels, entire body and floor, insulated with sound proofing.....

The paint is intentionally a matte or low gloss finish , recently done to protect the body from the weather..... not meant to give it a new, shinny, restored look.... 'she' looks good for being 90 years old....

There are way too many things done to this car, by the previous owner Richard (Dick) Lamphere,  to list here... but I have 5 volumes of his detailed records of work done on this car since 1944  

The Bad.... The speedometer cable just broke  (easy fix) and the dome light is not working  (easy fix)  and all my non-essential income is tied up in this car..... and it's resale value will go down rapidly as I continue to use it as a daily driver on these rough, dusty, bumpy dirt roads.... so I wish to pass it on to someone else that will drive it often on smooth paved roads, and park it inside out of the weather.. and enjoy it and maintain it as I have.... thanks for listening............. Sunny

• Like 3

Does anybody want a good Driver ???  So much more Car than a Model A .... Do you want to go  Touring  this year ???   I will work with you on the transport costs .....   I might be interested in a Trade .... for a good running and driving  1930-1934 Pickup,  Flatbed or Panel  Truck