ID My Grandpa's car

Michali

I found this old hard negative which I scanned of my grandpa's car- very fuzzy to say the least. He passed at 31 when my dad was 10. My dad passed a few years ago, so I have no one to identify this car. It appears to be mid to late 1920's car and I think my dad said it was a Franklin, but I have not be able to confirm. The large vents on the side of hood and very squared cab weren't too helpful. I never realized how many cars from this era looked similar to this! Another car I found similar was a Rollin. Any expert help to identify my Grandpa's car would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

Mike L.

Grampa LoPic_Mikes2.jpg

9 hours ago, Michali said:

...It appears to be mid to late 1920's car and I think my dad said it was a Franklin...

Mike L.

Mike, you'll be amazed at the knowledge of some

of the people here.  I will say that it is definitely not

a late-1920's car.  It's likely late 1910's or early 1920's--

say 1917 to 1923.  But others should be able to tell more.

Check ou the mud on Gandpa's tires.  Paved public roads was a great social program, like bridges, schools, and public hospitals,  Don't we all avoid muddy roads today?

I wish the view and detail were better. I am not even sure it is a four door sedan. As narrow as the front area of the body is, it could very well be a center-door sedan. Ford's model T may have been the most common, however, a lot of other companies offered the option and did build a few. Dodge and Maxwell built a fair number of them, and a handful still survive, however this car appears to be larger than either of those. Chandler, Studebaker, and Hudson all built some, and this could be any one of those. Rumor has it that there is one surviving Studebaker? And I think at least one Chandler survives. Except for the Fords (from 1915 into '23), nearly all center-door sedans were built in the mid '10s until 1919.

I am fairly sure the car is not a Franklin. They did not have louvers in the hood as louvers didn't help with the air cooling which was pushed through, down, and out. I also "think" I can see a Motometer on the top of the radiator.

It could be either a four door or center-door sedan.

Neat car regardless! 

I think Hudson could be right and I think it is a four door if you look through the car at the far side pillars.

Wow you guys are awesome! I'm more a 50's 60's car guy,  so  I have no clue on these classics. I'm amazed of the depth of knowledge you all have on these cars. My dad loved these cars. I took him to the Peterson Museum here in L.A. about a year before he passed and he was like a kid in a candy store. I too learned to really appreciate them as well and when I came across this picture of my grandpa's car, I just had to find out what is was- I'm a lot closer than I was before thanks to you all. I'm kind of leaning towards the '22 Hudson, I just wish I could get a little cleaner shot. I'm going to send the negative to a pro photo shop to see what they can do and then re-post. Thanks again! 

• Like 1