1965 Skylark Brake Light Help

Wamps98

Hi all, my 1965 Skylark Brake lights don't seem to be working. I turn the car on, no brake lights. Pull the lights knob, I get solid 6 running lights across the rear but still no brakes. I've replaced the brake switch on the pedal and still no brakes. Is the logical next step the blinker switch in the column?

Do you have a tilt column? It appears the turn signal switch at the base of the steering column is not centering correctly. I don’t remember the procedure to adjust it but it is detailed in the factory service manual if you have one. If i recall correctly the only tool required is a bent paper clip and a nut driver to slide the switch. It is tricky because the spring on the switch has to slide the correct distance no matter what position the tilt wheel is in. Are your turn signals working correctly? The turn signals and the brake lights use the same filaments, the running lights use a different filament. 

3 hours ago, Wamps98 said:

Looks okay to me

IMG_20200510_134350.jpg

Check it for continuity.  I was about to tear out the turn signal assembly from mine.  It did not work after replacing the fuse.  Just before I got started I jumped across the fuse and everything worked.  Both the new and old fuse had no connection internally...but they "looked" good.

• Thanks 1

Wamps98:

Follow Cheezestaak process and check wiring to see where you lose voltage.  Old-tank gives good advice regarding fuses.   The fuse element can disconnect internally but appear visually to be good.   I have experienced this several times over the years.  

Please report back when you find the problem.  

Joe

So it looks like the fuse was bad. Replaced this and got power to the driver side brake light and is working but not the passenger side. All running lights work just doesn't pulse brake on passenger side. 

The whole right side which is two bulbs for brake. Swapped the working driver side bulb into the passenger side and no go. Put the non working one in the driver side and it worked so it seems like the wiring running to the passenger side brake lights has an issue. 

8 hours ago, Wamps98 said:

The whole right side which is two bulbs for brake. Swapped the working driver side bulb into the passenger side and no go. Put the non working one in the driver side and it worked so it seems like the wiring running to the passenger side brake lights has an issue. 

It's been a while since I messed with the lighting in the back of mine, but it's been quirky.  Make sure you check the passenger side bulb sockets really well.  They have to really seat in the housing.  If my memory is correct, I've had to replace one or two sockets back there.  

As others have pointed out, grounds are important. That said, it doesn't sound as if your problem is because of a poor ground. If your problem was a poor ground, you wouldn't have tail lights on the right side because both tail light and brake light on a '65 Skylark rely on the bulb socket contact with the tail light housing. Just my opinion, but it wasn't the engineers best idea for a ground. I would test the green wire in the trunk harness for power. It could be a break in harness in the trunk or it could be a damaged spot in the flat ribbon wire that is under the carpet. You can test for power at the main harness under the dash on the driver side where it connects to the flat ribbon . That connection is near the fuse block. If you have power there, check the connection at the other end of the flat ribbon where it connect to the rear harness in the trunk. If you have power at that point, then you could have a broken wire in the harness in the trunk harness . 

I have built numerous wire harnesses for '65 Skylarks and '65 Gran Sports. When I make a new harness for the rear lighting, I modify the bulb socket and add a ground wire to it. By adding a hard wired ground, the need for a good connection of the bulb socket to the tail light housing is negated and the lights will always work. 

Best of luck with your search.

Loren

• Like 2