Repro rubber floormats

71GS

Well, I’m not sure what you would call it. They were in perfect shape but the front ones had a yellow/green film on them that would rub off & get all over your shoes. Stained things bad, like the bottom of my wife’s purse, lol. I scrubbed them with simple green and a brush. Looked good  for a while, but over the winter it came back. Strangely, the rears are fine. The previous owner pretty well soaked everything in armor all type stuff so who knows if that was the reason or a decomposing situation. The rears are obviously armor all’d though too and fine🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Legendary Auto Interiors has a line of reproduction Buick floor mats in a huge variety of colors, even

Turquoise and Green.

Seafoam, I thought about trying theirs since the ones I have are from Cars. But would like to support the little guy too if my situation was no fault of their products.

I guess both are ROA advertisers though. All input is appreciated. Kind of frustrating I have to spend another $250 on mats, so I want good ones. I’d rather buy one of Tom T’s rear sway bars. 😁

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Who has the best reproduction Buick floormats? Or do they all come from the same source? The set I have has Cars on the backside. Need a new set. 

Thanks

I know people will not want to hear this but, I got mine from OPGI (when I first got my car and did not know better). They have been excellent and held up very well. 

Bill

• Like 1

Same thing happened to mine. Within the first 6 months green sticky goo kept oozing out of them. And they still do. Like pollen. Almost impossible to remove.

I dont want to start a smear campaign but I've stated before I've had their rubber hood bumpers and a dash pot fail within months as well.

I never returned anything or complained because I leave town for sometimes very long periods and the fails get discovered late. :(

We need them cause there's not much of anyone else making these products. Roll the dice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Legendary Auto Interiors has a line of reproduction Buick floor mats in a huge variety of colors, even

Turquoise and Green.

When I got my '63, black with white leather, it came with the mats that the original owner installed in the car when he bought it new.  You would think that one would put black mats on black carpet but no, this guy put white mats in to match the white seats.  I've never seen another set of white mats.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

When I got my '63, black with white leather, it came with the mats that the original owner installed in the car when he bought it new.  You would think that one would put black mats on black carpet but no, this guy put white mats in to match the white seats.  I've never seen another set of white mats.

My 69 GTO convertible originally had a white interior and it had white factory floor mats on the black carpet......I chunked them the first day I had the car....hideous looking!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, cjp69 said:

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have heard they are slightly different in size/shape, and Legendary's fit an A-body better, and CARS fits the big cars better. 

Chris,

Dont know about the front mats but I do know the Cars repro rears are the same size as the `71 and up mats, smaller as compared to the earlier style.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, and this has been 35 years ago, I took my white floor mats to an upholstery shop and had them sew carpeting to the floor mat. They edged it with some vinyl and sewed a heel pad to it.  It covered the entire floor and appeared as if there was no matvin place.

4 minutes ago, RivNut said:

If I remember correctly, and this has been 35 years ago, I took my white floor mats to an upholstery shop and had them sew carpeting to the floor mat. They edged it with some vinyl and sewed a heel pad to it.  It covered the entire floor and appeared as if there was no matvin place.

Ed, that’s an interesting idea. I threw out my “green”ones out a few weeks ago. They were crazy. Would stain your skin just by touching them. Didn’t want to even offer them to anyone. 

4 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

FWIW, CARS was blowing out the rear mats for something like $20 a pair (black only).  Maybe they still are...  Front mats were full price.

My rears are fine, but thank you for the suggestion.  I haven’t seen where anyone sells just the fronts separately. Not sure I want to try the same ones again. I’ve bought many things from cars and still will. Glad they are around for sure. Not trying to bury anyone but I just threw out a pair of mats that were like new. Except for this weird yellow film that stained everything that came in contact with them.🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, 71GS said:

My rears are fine, but thank you for the suggestion.  I haven’t seen where anyone sells just the fronts separately. Not sure I want to try the same ones again. I’ve bought many things from cars and still will. Glad they are around for sure. Not trying to bury anyone but I just threw out a pair of mats that were like new. Except for this weird yellow film that stained everything that came in contact with them.🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe it would be worth a call to Cars and mention the deterioration? Perhaps they are aware of it and have rectified same...maybe having a record of your previous purchase they would send another pair? Worth a try...

Tom

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

Maybe it would be worth a call to Cars and mention the deterioration? Perhaps they are aware of it and have rectified same...maybe having a record of your previous purchase they would send another pair? Worth a try...

Tom

Tom, good suggestion, maybe they don’t know there is a problem? They were in the car when I bought it, so they don’t owe me anything. I have no idea how old they were but had seen very little use. 

PWB/Paul, when did you buy yours?

16 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Chris,

Dont know about the front mats but I do know the Cars repro rears are the same size as the `71 and up mats, smaller as compared to the earlier style.

Tom Mooney

I was speaking about the fronts, not sure about backs.  Here are pics from the websites.  Top pic is CARS (Big car), bottom is Legendary (A-body). 

cars floor mats.png

legendary floor mats.jpg

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cjp69 said:

I was speaking about the fronts, not sure about backs.  Here are pics from the websites.  Top pic is CARS (Big car), bottom is Legendary (A-body). 

cars floor mats.png

legendary floor mats.jpg

Wonder what years Cars is listing their big car mats for? The drivers is definitely not correct for mid-sixties cars

Tom

6 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Wonder what years Cars is listing their big car mats for? The drivers is definitely not correct for mid-sixties cars

Tom

They have them listed under the Riviera. Think it says 63-76. Not positive. Those are definitely the ones I threw out. 

Mid sixties carpet savers do not have the half moon relief in the top edge of the mat, that came later. But if one wanted to buy mats for a `65 Riv at the Buick dealer in `70, the mats supplied would be the same part number that existed since `65 but would have the updated shape....but originals ordered or purchased in `65 are straight across the top edge.

Tom

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 71GS said:

Those top ones look exactly like what’s listed in the OPG catalog too.

Bill, Riviera63, does yours from OPG say “cars”on the backside at the lower edge?

thanks

I will go out to the car today and check (it's not out of hibernation yet). I doubt they will say CARS on the back. I'm pretty sure that they would not be supplying OPGI. You never know though.

Bill

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 71GS said:

Those top ones look exactly like what’s listed in the OPG catalog too.

Bill, Riviera63, does yours from OPG say “cars”on the backside at the lower edge?

thanks

3 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I will go out to the car today and check (it's not out of hibernation yet). I doubt they will say CARS on the back. I'm pretty sure that they would not be supplying OPGI. You never know though.

Bill

I stand corrected. CARS does/did sell to OPGI. Checked my records and mine definitely came from OPGI. The backside of mine reads: CARS INC FM-615L. This is the same number given in the current catalog for their black mat set. They have been great. You will need to do a cut out for the accelerator pedal.

Bill 

• Like 1

I bought a set of the CARS black floor mats in 2018 right after I acquired the AZ. They have held up great. There is no green ooze and the white logos have stayed very white. I use my old driver side mat when I drive the car. The new mat has the same profile as the original mat but I had to cut out the gas pedal cut out on the new mat. I keep the new mats in the back and on the passenger side all the time. Thus I have to wipe off the pass. mat after my wife rides in the car, but that is a small sacrifice to pay! :D

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I stand corrected. CARS does/did sell to OPGI. Checked my records and mine definitely came from OPGI. The backside of mine reads: CARS INC FM-615L. This is the same number given in the current catalog for their black mat set. They have been great. You will need to do a cut out for the accelerator pedal.

Bill 

Thanks Bill I appreciate your efforts. Sounds like the issue with the cars mats doesn’t seem to be happening with the ones purchased recently. I think I’m still going to call them and talk about it before dropping another $250. 👍