1928 Standard Six new guy

Todd B 1928

I’ve been on the Dodge pilot house website for many many years with a small collection of pilot house trucks. Recently my wife inherited a 1928 Dodge brothers standard six in incredible condition. Appears to be mostly original few items missing with very minimal rust and it looks to be original interior with a few small mice holes. I’m trying to get hub off the rear so I can get the tire changed and at the same time paint the wheels. I read through a different post with options on how to get it off while putting the weight from one side and hitting the other but nothing seems to help. I found this nut under the seat that fits on the axle and is about 2” long with a solid end. It appears to be the tool you would hit on to break these loose but still no luck. Any advice?  I’ll try to get a picture sent of this Nut/Tool

I concur. Pull the head. Then also check valve seats. May need a grind, or it could possibly just be a stuck valve. I was able to repair a dead cylinder in my flathead, in the car.  I performed a full valve seat grind by hand, then lapped in new valves. New gaskets, good to go. Three years later its still running well.

IMG_0109 (2).JPG

• Like 2

I appreciate the input but I have a buddy who built motors professionally for 40 years and recently sold his business. He said he would go through the motor top to bottom if I bring it to him. I really want to take him up on this and do it right.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

I used that Nut deal I found under the seat and spun on the axle shaft. Jacked up the opposite side of the car and hit the nut one time with the mall and the wheel popped loose. Thanks for the help

I don't think you did any damage to your car.  Those nuts or even the regular axle nut were used thousands of times to remove a wheel.   Because most of these cars were rather low mileage and rear wheels did not need to be pulled very often most axles survived.

There is no doubt that the puller that screws onto the hub is the best way to go,  but people used what they had back in the days when these were in daily use.

After 40 years with my Grandfather's Pontiac as my daily driver I finally found the proper puller and have used it for the last 29 years.  At almost 1000 miles a month I found that I needed to remove my rear wheels at least every four years so the real puller was a benefit.

Good luck with your Dodge and I hope you have at least half as much fun as I have had in 59 years with my Pontiac that had 99,000 when I started driving it and now has 500,000+ miles..

6 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

I took my wheels to the tire guy and he said there is supposed to be a special tool that he needs to take the rim apart. Does anybody have a picture of this tool. Thanks, Todd B

Does yours look like this?

post-81542-0-20140300-1445037913.jpg

post-81542-0-14617600-1456422958.jpg

tire iron tool use.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

My rims are different. They almost look like a door hinge with a hole on either side and one in the center. With a pin in the middle connecting them. The hole is round not square like your picture. My tire guy cannot figure out how to get the pin out. 

7 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

My rims are different. They almost look like a door hinge with a hole on either side and one in the center. With a pin in the middle connecting them. The hole is round not square like your picture. My tire guy cannot figure out how to get the pin out. 

You might just scroll down to the "Dodge and Dodge Brothers" section of this forum and post the question there. There will be some 1928 Standard Six owners there who can answer. I know the rim you are talking about. I have never dealt with that type.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

Thank you for that information. I’m a virgin to the site and never went exploring yet, I never knew those sections even existed. Thank you again for all the help.

You will find a treasure trove of guys who know those cars.

The way I understand what the problem is, my buddy cannot get the rim compressed enough to get the tire off. Will this tire spreader Tool work for that?   I am concerned about how hard it is to get off, can’t imagine getting the tire back on without wrecking my paint. 

14 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

The way I understand what the problem is, my buddy cannot get the rim compressed enough to get the tire off. Will this tire spreader Tool work for that?   I am concerned about how hard it is to get off, can’t imagine getting the tire back on without wrecking my paint. 

Where are you located?  If you are near the Detroit Area, you can come over and use my antique tire machine.

Better than the three jaw portable road side spreader and a whole lot easier.

image000000 (4).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Todd B 1928 said:

That Is cool!! I live in Marion Wisconsin.

Looks like too far of a ride, unless you come to the Old Car Festival which is on at The Henry Ford/ Greenfield Village the first weekend after Labor Day.

https://www.thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/old-car-festival

If you come, bring the tires you want to change.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:40 AM, jan arnett (2) said:

Your tire guy may be talking about a rim spreader which is used on split rims.  I can post you a picture if you want.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wheel-Rim-Spreader/133385739520?hash=item1f0e68dd00:g:DeEAAOSwwRpebZJg

Thank you very much for the lead. I purchased it today and hopefully will see it by the weekend. I’ll let you know how it works. Thanks again very much appreciate d. 

I am trying to pull the transmission and motor out today. The four bolts that hold the transmission to the bell housing, I can turn and turn and they don’t seem to come out. What am I missing?. Thanks for the help in advance. It’s a 1928 four-door sedan.