can not peruse past a certain point

54vicky

It looks like all of the activity on page 1392 is of threads started on December 31, 1969 by "Guest", none of which shows any replies (posts).   My guess is that this was the start of this forum, and no members had yet signed up so as to be able to reply.  I find the numbering system, as I understand it, to be a little confusing.  If my limited grasp of the system is correct, then, the current "Page 1" (this page) is actually the 1392nd page, and page 1392 is actually the first page.  Or did I get it backwards or sumthin'.

Wow, December 31, 1969.  I find it difficult to believe that was more than 50 years ago.  I feel privileged to have made it this far in life.

Stay healthy out there.

Cheers,

Grog

It is interesting that all the 1969 posts show no response, then it jumps to the year 2000 and there are replies posted to them. I do not see how any forum could start in 1969 because of no internet. Anyone have ideas on this?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fleek said:

It is interesting that all the 1969 posts show no response, then it jumps to the year 2000 and there are replies posted to them. I do not see how any forum could start in 1969 because of no internet. Anyone have ideas on this?

Something funny here. Pge 1383 has a post '" Question for Mchinson", who did not join until June, 2006.

Ben

q"

Interesting. In '69 it was the Darpa/Arpanet. By November there were two nodes, UCLA and Stanford. 1980, 200 nodes. For a long time corprporate intranets were larger than the 'net but were limited to management.

That said by 1966 the military had a worldwide encrypted network using teletypes (when mylar replaced paper it became a lot cleaner).

Skip to 1984 when I wheeled my luggable Columbia VP1600 dual floppy in people said "what's that" and the engineering IT people who charged for "connect hours" ($135/hour) had to create a new designation. Later when they realized I was doing lots of work on the PC and only connecting where mainframe functions were needed there were protests.. Then to reach another large network (like Northrup-Grumman) you used a modem to dial up their modem. I wrote software to only answer the phone if the calling number was recognized. It was a different time.

One of the fun things is that when the Internet was created they figured that not more than 256 enterprise/company/agency networks would need the largest number of nodes (Class A). Lockheed-Martin had four.

To me what happened then could only be done by a government. Seeing that IPV4 would shortly run out of addresses, IPV6 with lots more was developed. Meanwhile many started using "private networking (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255) and address translation at the gateway. Now almost everyone has IPV6. Almost no-one needs it.

Can say that by 2001, the AACA was firmly into the electronic age, was when I joined the Reatta forum.

ps "It looks like all of the activity on page 1392 is of threads started on December 31, 1969 by "Guest", " that was common in the days of modems and dial-up bbses & why caller-id (1988) was important

• Like 1