1924 Buick 6 shop manual. Very Disappointing

29StudiePrez

Instead of bugging all the time great members in this forum like Hugh, Larry, Mark and Terry amongst many other very knowledgeable members I ordered and recieved one of many books i need to get to build up my reference library so I dont have to bother everyone as much with simple questions and problems so as to work on my 1924 Buick 6. 

So instead of trying to find an original copy, and the fact that I've heard reproductions are a bit on the lighter side as far as the print and clarity go,  I bought one anyway. I just recieved my 1924 Shop manual from Faxon Auto literature. What a disappointment. All the pages have their name plastered all over ever page as a watermark two shades light than the printing but still highly noticeable. First automotive book I've had like this, even reproduction ones, not only is it distracting and annoying, its irritating that I paid good money to have to look at pages like this. Does anyone know where I can buy a reproduction copy that doesn't have someones name plastered all over it? Its really ridiculous, its like buying a novel and having the publisher plaster their name all over and in between the lines while your trying to read it. I'm sending it back to get my money refunded.

20200323_163514.jpg

20200323_163446.jpg

I regret that it happened to you, but I think maybe I can explain why it probably happened.

Using vintage electronic manuals as an example, watermarking like this is pretty common on PDFs, and probably paper manuals as well. I'll bet that mess you pictured began as a PDF. There are couple of reasons people do this.

The first would be a "free" website. In the electronics world, a majority of the (obsolete) manuals had their copyrights expire in 1964 because their owners did not bother to renew. Exceptions exist, but they are few. Also, a couple of specific large companies have granted a blanket license for hobbyist use. There are sites that have scans of manuals free to download. People would take advantage of this and sell downloads or cds or maybe even paper manuals on Ebay. This really annoys the folks who took the time and expense to acquire books, scan them , and post them for the good of the hobby. Usually a page or two would be added saying "if you paid for this manual, you have been taken" or something similar. It wasn't enough. Watermarking eventually followed in some cases.

The second would be commercial manual dealers. This would be for rarer manuals. One dealer would acquire an expensive manual, scan it, and find out later that all his competition had it too and were undercutting him on price, and that the scalpers on ebay were undercutting all of them. The watermarking became severe.

Now back to Buick, or at least GM. Always get originals if you can. It is worth the extra money. My 1936 Pontiac manual is an original, and the lithographs are actually useful as illustrations. That is rare in reproductions. I have seen a bunch of Buick reprints of various years, and the lithographs are usually terrible. Also, in parts manuals it is common for some characters to not quite scan properly, making 6's look like 8's and so on. Sometimes the edge of a page is cut off, making part numbers unusable. Fisher body book reproductions I have seen (and in a couple of cases own) are similarly awful.

Best of luck finding what you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29StudePrez:

Yes I would send that book back with the watermarking. The 1925 Standard Parts Book I bought from "BOB'S" was vey poor quality and images were muddy. I was lucky that my friend Dave found the 1925 Master Book Of Parts for me at Hershey last year in great condition. So I have been able to share them with you. Also I have originals now of both Master and Standard Reference Books and Service Manuals. I got those on Ebay. Try the Buick Heritage alliance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reproduction shop manual I bought in 1973 hasn't lasted as long as the original that I got at a later date.  I definitely agree that originals are nice to have, but until you find one a decent quality repro would suffice.

If it's any consolation most reproductions are garbage. I bought a reproduced assembly manual for my 1972 GMC pickup. I swear they used the photostat machine from my high school (I graduated 1979) Images are useless just blurs. The old books were typeset and printed on good paper. Nothing will ever be produced that well again. 

The one that you have is an "export" version and I couldn't tell you what it covers as I don't have one.  Motobooks on eBay has a reproduction copy though I doubt you want to go that route again.When I first bought my car , I was looking for a 1924 service book and Dave Chambers, who knew everything 6 cyl Buick, informed me of the situation.  Twenty one years later I have yet to see a '24 version but have the '25.  I also suggest that you get a Dykes book from 1925 or 1926..  They are very useful .

5 hours ago, Rod Wise said:

Here,s an original 1924 reference book on Ebay Australia

s-l1600.jpg

The "Reference book" is what Buick called their owners manual. It is not the same as a "Shop Manual" and I'm not sure they even used that term either on the books that were Shop Manuals. There is a 190 page 1925 "Operations and Care" Manual, not sure if that was their equivalent of a shop manual or not. 

Edited by 29StudiePrez (see edit history)