WTB good 320 head & 320 insert bearing rods

B.Liesberg

3 hours ago, B.Liesberg said:

As the title suggests, I'm rebuilding my 320, and am looking for a new head. Would also like to find some insert bearing rods to replace the original babbitt rods (I know I can get mine redone, but that's expensive).

Terrill Machine Inc. DeLeon, Tx 254 893 2610   8-5 central time weekdays.  Feltz(owner) may have a set of rods ready to go(exchange), he should also have the needed bearings. Great guy to do business with..

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, B.Liesberg said:

As the title suggests, I'm rebuilding my 320, and am looking for a new head. Would also like to find some insert bearing rods to replace the original babbitt rods (I know I can get mine redone, but that's expensive).

I think Terrill's process ends up being around 450.00 time you get done shipping. What price are you hoping for? Yes, I have a complete set...

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)

23 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I think Terrill's process ends up being around 450.00 time you get done shipping. What price are you hoping for? Yes, I have a complete set...

Do you mean the conversion from babbitted to inserts is only $450 from them? I was expecting it to be double that, and i think places that seem to advertise the process, like Kanter's, charges $100 a piece for converting them, so anything under $500 seems like a bargain.

35 minutes ago, Stooge said:

Do you mean the conversion from babbitted to inserts is only $450 from them? I was expecting it to be double that, and i think places that seem to advertise the process, like Kanter's, charges $100 a piece for converting them, so anything under $500 seems like a bargain.

Kanter likely gets them from Terrill and then marks them up.

Just for reference, the rebuild on my Century 320, including buying a set of later insert bearing rods, cost about $8000 15 years ago. I'd expect $10,000 today, easily. Do it right and you never have to worry again. Do it cut-rate and every hiccup it makes will be a spincter-tightener.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2020 at 6:27 AM, pont35cpe said:

Terrill Machine Inc. DeLeon, Tx 254 893 2610   8-5 central time weekdays.  Feltz(owner) may have a set of rods ready to go(exchange), he should also have the needed bearings. Great guy to do business with..

All it takes is a phone call to Terrill Machine to find out the price for the inserts and machined rods. I doubt you`ll find them cheaper anywhere.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:18 AM, B.Liesberg said:

I have a new old stock 320 cylinder head, still in the wooden crate from Buick in Flint, Michigan. Won't be cheap and will probably cost a bundle to ship it anywhere, given the weight.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Kanter likely gets them from Terrill and then marks them up.

Just for reference, the rebuild on my Century 320, including buying a set of later insert bearing rods, cost about $8000 15 years ago. I'd expect $10,000 today, easily. Do it right and you never have to worry again. Do it cut-rate and every hiccup it makes will be a spincter-tightener.

i can definitely see kanter's farming that out, and there being a go-to shop for the conversion. The engine going in my 1937 is slightly newer, and came out of a running, driving, 44k mile 1947 roadmaster that was parted out for whhat i would assume was rust issues, given that it was just the next town over and Massachusetts is a rust state. There is a prominent vintage engine, as well as racing engine machine shop in the same building as my shop and brought up the 320 last weekend. he was saying expect a grand a cylinder/$8k atleast all in, but given the mileage, he said he would very apprehensive to open it up and rebuild it if he were me. Id like to take my Century on some extended 1000+ mile trips when its done, so not going through it doesnt exactly give me that warm confident feeling, but i see his reasoning, (he said he would obviously do the work, just giving me some advice to think over). What has me worried the most is the cooling/water passages. Seems every thread on here with rebuilding a straigjt 8, they are clogged with sediment, and cooling is what worries me the most with my cars. At minimum, id like to take it apart, clean and inspect/check for wear and nake a decision from there.

Sorry to highjack the thread!

Edited by Stooge (see edit history)

I found a guy in LA that has a head for $75, it doesn't look quite the same though. Serial number is in the 800,000's and mine is around 1,300,000, will they still work?

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 7:47 AM, Pete Phillips said:

I have a new old stock 320 cylinder head, still in the wooden crate from Buick in Flint, Michigan. Won't be cheap and will probably cost a bundle to ship it anywhere, given the weight.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

What do you want for yours? a NOS head would probably be my best bet for one with no issues. Could ship it freight.

12 hours ago, critterpainter said:

I have to ask the obvious question.   What year head do you need?  They are NOT all interchangeable if I recall. I believe the water outlet gasket is different on the 50-52 engines because the outlet is different and won't line up with a earlier engine.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:18 AM, B.Liesberg said:

I just need the head, my crank is good and I want to switch away from Babbitt bearings. 1938 would probably be a good candidate though, since I know it's the same variation of the 320 as mine.

Just checked my head number #1301411, $75 for just the head plus ship.

Also have a set of .60 over pistons with rings and pins, some used valves and springs etc.