Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 4/21/2021 at 11:36 AM, wayne sheldon said:

I think we need a prewar photo about now?

This one showed up in the model T forum a few days ago (Thank you Rich B). So far, no really good guesses what it is/was. Certainly an unusual car. My first thought (for about two seconds) was Hupmobile, long chassis model 20 of 1911 or 1912. However, clearly it is not. While the car appears to be rather small, relatively speaking, the hood is too long, hubcaps and several other details are not right for a Hupp 20. The long chassis Hupp 20 was usually a touring car, of small proportions. Based upon the size of the men, it does appear to be about a Hupp 20 size? This car looks almost like a half-size Ford 6-40 roadster/model K? 

unknown6.jpg

1907-Premiere-Motor-Car-NEW-Metal-Sign-Runabout.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/17/2023 at 2:56 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

default.jpg

1928 Buick, probably a Master series with 120 inch wheelbase. Also probably the car is about eight to ten years old when the photo was taken. It very much appears to be a California license plate of the 1930s, black lettering on yellow background was for even years that decade. While the limited depth of detail doesn't clearly show the year, it appears to be either 1936 or 1938. Offhand, I am not aware of any significant flooding in California at that time, but there likely was some somewhere.

Details pinning down the year and model include the three rail rear (and probably matching front?) bumper. The style and hand rail on the rumble seat and the entry steps, and I think I can see just enough of the rear hub above the water to see that it has the six hub bolts as the full floating rear axle used by the Master as opposed to the twelve bolt hubs used on the semi-floating axles of the Standard series cars. Two other identifying items are the little bit of the side of the radiator shell barely showing the "Packard knockoff" dimple sides, and the smooth style fenders first used by Buick in 1928 and continuing until 1932. These "sport coupes" are among my favorite body style cars of the late 1920s. The 1929 Reo Flying Cloud Master I had more than fifty years ago was a very similar five window coupe with the fixed soft top down to the beltline and dummy landau bars behind the corner windows. A lot of cars had similar style coupes in those years, but the Buick was one of the most beautiful and perfectly styled such cars. Almost as good looking as the Reo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, Walt G said:

the I-F town car most likely has a body by Fleetwood. The import agent for I=F was located in NY City and chassis ( usually with lamps, fenders, etc) were imported in the holds of steam ships . Came from Italy that way as it saved a large import tax. I-F in NY had a understanding with Fleetwood to build bodies for them . The Rudolph Valentino I-F had a Feetwood body and even a sales catalog was printed here in the USA for the imported I-F showing cars with bodies manufactured in the USA.   over 50 years ago I had some extensive conversations with a great fellow who worked for Isotta Fraschini at their NY headquarters - Joe Gaeta of Port Washington, NY .  He was amazed that a young guy even knew what a I-F was and at the questions I had that he could answer about where he worked 40 years earlier. This would make yet another good story.

Please share it, Walt!

• Like 1

there could be a whole story on the activities of European cars like I-F that were imported into the USA, I have a lot of that information as they can be tracked by location and advertising that they placed in society magazines, programs for the custom body salons across the country etc. Who worked for whom etc. This is to long a story and to many images ( photographs of the era and sales catalog images as well) for the forums. AACA magazine has no room according to the Editor. Sorry................

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

there could be a whole story on the activities of European cars like I-F that were imported into the USA, I have a lot of that information as they can be tracked by location and advertising that they placed in society magazines, programs for the custom body salons across the country etc. Who worked for whom etc. This is to long a story and to many images ( photographs of the era and sales catalog images as well) for the forums. AACA magazine has no room according to the Editor. Sorry................

Special editions for members would be a nice way to make sure it's seen by others and with the plentiful materials it would be sure to fill a small book (catalog etc..).

I know in the Dodge Brothers Club we have catalogs like "The Guide to Trucks" that was put together years ago by several members and is still helping fund the Club and is put to use and studied. Granted the DBC isn't getting rich off the procedes, but it's still something many truck owners will always have an ongoing interest in and probably will for generations. It's also provoked many conversations, debate and even resolution in some cases. 

Hopefully the current editor will see this and understand a creative way to make things like that happen. I would think it would help the membership in many ways beyond the scope of what is being discussed.

That lineup of model Ts two posts up is very interesting. They appear to all be either late 1909s or 1910s based on the Ford script on the radiators which were only used by the factory those two years, and the low radiator necks. The "bill" on the front fenders eliminate most of early and mid 1909 as most of those had no "bill". 1909 and early 1910, the top, windshield, and headlamps were optional equipment. Interesting that all of them are fully equipped. That might indicate that the cars may be mid 1910s.

Down at the far end of that line? Is a 1908 Ford model S Roadster. It was a one year only model, and the only model in the N/R/S lineup that had a cowl behind the firewall.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:48 AM, Walt G said:

There could be a whole story on the activities of European cars like I-F that were imported into the USA, I have a lot of that information as they can be tracked by location and advertising that they placed in society magazines, programs for the custom body salons across the country etc. Who worked for whom etc. This is to long a story and to many images ( photographs of the era and sales catalog images as well) for the forums. AACA magazine has no room according to the Editor. Sorry................

Perhaps one of the quarterly 'coffee table' periodicals; Crankshaft, Magneto, or Retromotive magazine may be interested in doing a one or two-part article on 'European cars marketed in North America'.  Even though Magneto is U.K. based, and Retromotive is Australian based, it will be of interest to their readers.

Craig