Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

View of a lake steamer bringing automobiles from Detroit MI to East 40th Street docks in Cleveland OH for distribution. Several different makes are in the cargo. Several boats carrying automobiles ply between Detroit and Cleveland.

image.png.b595ab81d7925e76c378e1af1c96eed8.png

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to scan and share so many period photographs. WOW. i especially like the ones of the ferry with the cars, the factory scenes of body construction and the shipping of fender and body panels. they tell in great detail what and how things were made.

Everyone here is so generous to share with all of us these treasures of a window to the past.  A visual feast.

Thanks again to all of you.

Walt

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Dave, thanks so much for taking the time to scan and share so many period photographs. WOW. i especially like the ones of the ferry with the cars, the factory scenes of body construction and the shipping of fender and body panels. they tell in great detail what and how things were made.

Everyone here is so generous to share with all of us these treasures of a window to the past.  A visual feast.

Thanks again to all of you.

Walt

Anytime Walt. 

Looking through old glass negatives is easily one of my favorite things to do in life and always has been since my first memory. I would imagine I'm like many of us on here in that respect. If someone were to ask my mother which one of her kids loves to look at old black and white photos she wouldn't hesitate in saying my name in a split second and I'm encouraged to see so many others have had that passion in life as well. :) 

As for the shipping photos.

I can't help but wonder whenever I see certain color schemes on panel trucks if it might be a kin to my truck. Note the truck I've highlighted with a blue arrow as my curiousity gets the best of me.

Also, the hoist work is very intriguing to me. I have an idea what they are doing but not specifically. I wonder if there are any ship Captains or Seaman who can shed light on what is happening in this photo in regards to the many uses of the large hoists. It's also interesting to note how the cars are in the same areas on the ship in both photos which tells me the camera would have to pack up his equipment and move quickly to his next vantage point for setup. It's just interesting to think how the photographer had to navigate as he leaves us with a visual of his thought process and movements. 

image.png.5412815f4d49eebf324cae32dcdbea50.png

In the next photo, if you zoom in from the side you can see the panel truck I'm talking about (a smaller 1/2 ton version would be my guess) with what looks to be another Dodge Brothers panel truck in the background with the Graham Brothers lines when the transition of body styles were taking place. Clues like that help pinpoint a year the photo was taken. 

image.png.831ae654f1f5d8c79137a3402be398c8.png

Here is the color scheme I believe we are seeing with the painted wood wheels. Note on the 1928-32 Dodge panels they had the tail light over the left rear drivers side fender. Sorry for getting of topic and sounding selfish but I think a lot of us have used this thread in hopes of uncovering vital clues that help indentify the vehicles we are researching, restoring or simply have a small interest in. 

image.png.a784aeea81c28d7e1aac2b6d40c17fb7.png

image.png.c3fad5ecf913e9d0ae705ffbcf9b00a5.png

Here is a brochure of the two potential trucks we are seeing in the photo (note the blue X for the possibilities). One can see by the brochure how the two body styles were still being made along side each other at the time. This brochure is of 1930 models dated fall of 1929 as the new models were being released.

image.jpeg.75eb87d2fa0f6c99038973bbcbb95de7.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

40 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Here is the color scheme I believe we are seeing with the painted wood wheels. Note on the 1928-32 Dodge panels they had the tail light over the left rear fender. Sorry for getting of topic and sounding selfish but I think a lot of us have used this thread in hopes of uncovering vital clues that help indentify the vehicles we are researching, restoring or simply have a small interest in.

I totally agree that the images you show - the color one is of the truck we are viewing in the photograph. this is what this thread/topic/conversation is all about and why it has been what it has since the first photo was posted a few years ago. It puts together a lot of minds who have the same question or each of us having some same "possible" answer to then land on firm ground of actually what happened. The audience here can not get together at the AACA library all at once or any major collection of photographs and period material to really sort out what was going on when our grandfathers were young.  It is why these forums are so important - the sharing of information  that is correct or soon corrected!  I view this perhaps slightly differently then most 'car' collectors - I am also and have been heavily involved in historical research for local and state history, penned a book on the area I live in over a decade ago , so look beyond the subject of vehicles and also learned from fellow state historians about what and where to look, consider etc. to look beyond the main subject focus and at the broader "picture" if possible for possible hints, clues, suggestions of what actually was taking place. Two decades ago I was already  sitting in lectures, seminars etc on 'how to study" what was being seen for state/local history hundreds of miles from where I live. Automotively for me the icing on the cake so to speak was working as librarian for Henry Austin Clark Jr. at his home library ( now part of the Henry Ford) . The collection my friend and mentor Austin had opened my eyes to so much material of the pre war era. Periodicals no one ever heard of both European and domestic plus all kinds of other factory material and that included the entire glass plate negative collection of Mack trucks ( 47 steel filing cases that had 4 draws each) that Austin saved from being trashed when Mack moved/relocated from Brooklyn, NY to Allentown, Pa. in the early 1950s. . Mack got back those filing cases of negatives decades later when they appreciated their heritage more, that due to the great effort of my friend John B. Montville.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, John Smeltzer said:

Crissy Field in San Francisco looking north west towards Sausalito before the Golden Gate bridge was built
18D65D13-6A9E-4213-914D-96D0F49472D5.jpeg.e50f57faa7970126334e2ca0f3d43e6a.jpeg

Magnificent photo, John! 

These are the kind of photos I can view for hours and come back tomorrow and see something new each time....

From the wood track to the film crew on the top of the fuel shed... this racers photo captures the essence of period racing.

Thank you for sharing it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, John Smeltzer said:

I bought this picture at a swap meet recently. I don’t know anything about it and have spent some time examining it but just can’t identify the cars, my guess is that it was not taken in the USA 🇺🇸 Although the car says American and US on it ???

C6912263-2FD1-4FC5-949E-7D2EAD26CCAC.jpeg.ef88f47557c6712333cf2d45727d79b7.jpeg

Maybe WW1 staff car garage?  Possibly Packard?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Smeltzer said:

I bought this picture at a swap meet recently. I don’t know anything about it and have spent some time examining it but just can’t identify the cars, my guess is that it was not taken in the USA 🇺🇸 Although the car says American and US on it ???

C6912263-2FD1-4FC5-949E-7D2EAD26CCAC.jpeg.ef88f47557c6712333cf2d45727d79b7.jpeg

This is truly interesting.  Note the dual rear wheels on the car on the right.  The car on the left seems to be a Series 3 (1915) Pierce-Arrow: ID factors include the individual front seats and their rear seat assist grips, the placement of the covered rear spring lube point with nickeled cover, the painted cover further forward on the apron which is the access for the gasoline shutoff valve, the bracket for the straps to hold the (absent) spare rims and tires outside the RF door, the location of the electric horn and the bulb control for the bulb horn--but all of these were continued 1915-1920.  The moldings on the doors and body indicate Series 3.  It appears to be a 48 hp engine; the upper water manifold is correct as well as the intake (carb) side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a WWI photo. Probably a behind the lines service center where overhauling and heavy service was done. Car on the right is probably a Loco, but George K can chime in. The work done in the field would blow you away during the Great War. Machine shops were in the back of a three ton truck. The accomplishments of the people servicing the trucks and cars were truly remarkable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Smeltzer said:

Paris. Interior of garage of American Red Cross, 79 Rue Laugier, Paris, France. This is the largest and main garage which Red Cross operates in city. 17th March 1919.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/anrc.01010/

There's a lot of detail in the photo if you download the TIFF file from the Library of Congress.

Paris.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1