Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

7 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Neat lil bottling Co truck that I'm sure served many clients during its lifetime in the Milwaukee area

Right up into the 1960s there was home delivery of beer and soda here in the village I live in on long island. open truck with racks to load on then off full and empty cases . All everyday stuff that now I wish I had taken a photo of. The distributor for that had a building in Franklin Square , NY on Hempstead Turnpike on the north side f the road

Also milk was delivered in Divco trucks on a weekly basis as was bread and cake. One Oak Dairy was the milk delivery and Dugan's was the bread and cake. Some years ago I bought a hood ornament /handle for a mid 1950s Divco as a nostalgic reminder of my youth and those cool trucks that were driven mostly standing up.

Beyond the great photos of vehicles here , how many people are conjuring up memories of what was taking place at a point in our earlier life by what we see here? A window to the past.

• Like 5

I recall several Divco milk trucks.  Silverwoods Dairy in Winnipeg had a huge fleet, as did Palm Dairies and NADP (Northern Alberta Dairy Pool) in Edmonton, when all dairies offered home delivery at the time.

One Divco I don't recall seeing is the Dividend step van which is quite rare.  I was very surprised to find a scale model of one.

Craig

11aths054.jpg

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

In IA we had AE (Anderson Erickson) deliveries daily and I remember those old milk bottles and aluminum storage boxes for the front porch. Great memories...

Image result for anderson erickson aluminum crate

Ok. That brings back some memories!

I grew up living at the foot of a small mountain in northern Maine. My brother and I use climb-up the rock slide to the old ski jump (build by the CCC in the 1930's) and collect snakes. We also from time to time collected the occasional amphibian. 

We found that the Houlton Farms, aluminum milk box that resided at the top of the stairs leading up from the driveway was a practically perfect place to cache our finds.  Unfortunately our long suffering milkman didn't see it that way. He simply never knew what to expect when he opened the box.

Houlton Farms Dairy | Serving Aroostook County and beyond since 1938

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I went to work for a manufacture of overvoltage protection equipment in Olean, NY in 1991, a local commercial dairy was still using Divcos to deliver their products in town.  It was the last time I saw them used in their original functional purpose

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

4799b019d1d8db1ca7081aa26529c1ee.jpg

Auburn dealers seem to have been especially adept at having their cars present at community theater events.  Perhaps a promotional program set-up and abetted by the factory sales department?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

TT truck. Location Australia?? Probably arrived from Canada as a bare chassis with just the engine hood and fenders.

It was described as British

https://www.bottesfordhistory.org.uk/content/catalogue_item/bottesford-local-history-archive/photographs-contributed-by-miss-margaret-taylor-and-mr-frank-hallam/ministry-of-pensions-van-with-driver

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

This is an interesting photo.  The dairy driver/delivery man appears to be ex-military.  His military belt buckle is worn in true G.I. style, exactly as we had to wear them (Army).  Note the buckle has two rounded edges, with the left edge (right as we see it) exactly in line with the brass metal tab of the end of the woven belt.  It is nice to see that he kept his brass polished.

53.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

That being the case it is likely the chassis was actually built in the Manchester (UK) Ford factory. I don't know enough of the UK Ford history to know whether they were casting their own blocks and forming their own chassis or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

This is an interesting photo.  The dairy driver/delivery man appears to be ex-military.  His military belt buckle is worn in true G.I. style, exactly as we had to wear them (Army).  Note the buckle has two rounded edges, with the left edge (right as we see it) exactly in line with the brass metal tab of the end of the woven belt.  It is nice to see that he kept his brass polished.

53.jpg

He didn't take the time to polish his shoes though. Nowadays he would be looking at his phone every spare minute. I guess back then a spare moment might be spent cleaning the truck?

Yes, his shoes are not spit shined (which is a little distressing), but even though his class B's need pressing at least he has a straight gig line.  He might have been Air Force rather than Army.  😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Yes, his shoes are not spit shined (which is a little distressing), but even though his class B's need pressing at least he has a straight gig line.  He might have been Air Force rather than Army.  😂

Loring Air force Base (now closed) was nearby and quite a few former service men settled in the area.

3 hours ago, Captain Harley said:

Anybody know where this "Orange County" Park is or was?

Capt. Harley😉

Orange County Parks - Irvine California

In 1897, James H. Irvine gave 160 acres to Orange County to form its first regional park. In 1926, The OC supervisors changed the name to Irvine Park to honor him. The park, and many of the original structures, are maintained by OC Parks. 

• Like 1