Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

This is a page from a dealer's album that was kept in the showroom, image is a photo mounted on linen so it will last longer. ( I wish I had the whole album not just one page!) the car is a 1927 ( 8-78) and 1928 ( 8-82) ELCAR.  With so much detail I think although looking like a rendering the image is a retouched photograph. Yes, lots of odd stuff in my collection you haven't even seen 1% yet.

Elcarvictoria19271928.jpg

It may be an optical illusion but this pic it looks as if the steering column is quite upright so the box will be well back to make for a long steering arm (what is that part called?)  from the box to the front.

In this pic the wheel appears to be at a different angle - 

large.jpg

• Like 2

Tires on the sedan image are highly retouched if the image was photo based ( note the exactness of the side x hatching design, interior as well is much more "enhanced" by an illustrator with a paint or air brush. I think it is that aspect that needs to be taken into consideration when looking at both images.

Those Elcar fellows must have been savvy, according to the Standard Catalog of American Cars. 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes & Clark, never produced more than 2,000 cars a year to wit: 1927: 1,483; 1928: 1,312.   Apparently, the taxicab production business was what kept them afloat, hardly seems as if private passenger car sales would have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Anybody have an idea on which model this Pierce is? A mid teens 38? It looks to me to be perhaps ten or more years old in the photo and fitted - maybe - with smaller-than-original wheels.

May be an image of 4 people and outdoors

I'm going to call that a Series 4 (1916-18) 48 because (1) top of radiator is higher than top of headlights and (2) looks more like the 48's 142" wb than the 38's 134" wb.

@58L-Y8, thank you for the enhanced photo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 8E45E said:

One in the LeMay Museum.

13lm052.jpg

I think THIS one is a 38:  see how the tops of the headlights are very slightly below the top of the radiator shell (not including the filler neck).  This one is also a Series 4 (1916-1918) because it retains the cowl lights cast into the cowl and the hood-top vents, both of which were removed for 1919-1920 Series 31 and 51 (some say the hood-top vents were optional 1919-1920).  This car also has much later headlight lenses from a different make--Pierce used clear glass through 1919.  Most of us use the B&L thick prismatic lenses from Pierce senior cars through 1928 to be able to see where we're going.

Edited by Grimy
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Walt, Do you think the louvers were really reversed or did the artist just not know? Bob Elcarvictoria19271928.jpg.8f4563745e5ed9

Funny thing, looking at pictures of Elcars they look to have used a variety of types of louvre. Most are 'outies' but this car, a larger 1928 Model 91 according to the caption, has 'innies'. 

See the source image

• Like 1

While on the subject of big Oaklands, I have had these two photos filed for some time but can't find any reference as to the exact model. The original source notes them as being 1913 I think they may be the 1914 6-60, Oakland's last really big car - 

1913 oakland 6 JohnSandersJr%2BJohnIII%2BLottie%2BStellaincar.jpg

1913 oakland 6 Sanders%20in%20car.jpg

2007-10-3_Oakland14CoverWeb-Large[1].jpg

2007-10-3_Oakland14-ChassisWeb-Large[1].jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Walt, Do you think the louvers were really reversed or did the artist just not know? Bob Elcarvictoria19271928.jpg.8f4563745e5ed9

Bob, I had the same question! but the more I study it - even from the original 8 x 10 print it could be that the top and bottom of the louver is rounded off - but the shadow on the vertical part being on the left makes one think that that is where the opening would be. I am guessing here ( something I do not ever like to do) but think the louvers were in vertical  length rounded and there was an opening at the back even if very thin to let the heat escape from the engine. The illusion we see is poor representation/interpretation  by the artist . When his art work was shrunk to fit an 8 x 10 print it made it harder to see . Look at the bottom of the louver on the last 4 at the rear of the hood that bottom edge is rounded off.

Walt

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here's the third one posted by Bill Kalsem, pretty sure it's a WWI era Studebaker Big Six, working on the other two.

'19-teens unknown touring - Bill Kalsem c.jpg

Studebaker was my first thought on this one too, but the disc wheels didn't come in until the 1922 model year I think and this one looks earlier. 

This is a 1920 Model EG according to the caption with it.  At that time when wheel choice was woods or wires.

See the source image

46 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Flint, Michigan, 1910 according to the caption provided. An interesting low-sided, compact looking, short body (4 pass?) touring there. I can't see any sign of rear springs. Maybe it has a transverse setup - as Paige did at the time.

sag Norma G-K Flint Mi 1910.jpg

Here is a litho of the same gas station that hangs in our back hall.  We bought the print about 45 years ago at the Sloan Museum Summer Auto Fair in Flint.  The original I believe hung in the Buick main office when it was located in Flint on Hamilton Ave.  Reflection on the glass causing disortions.

image000000 - 2022-02-19T201856.271.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Larry Schramm said:

Here is a litho of the same gas station that hangs in our back hall.  We bought the print about 45 years ago at the Sloan Museum Summer Auto Fair in Flint.  The original I believe hung in the Buick main office when it was located in Flint on Hamilton Ave.

image000000 - 2022-02-19T201856.271.jpg

I notice in the 'original'  - if it is such - b/w photo the word Flint is not on the wall.