What we do for our kids

Today my daughter called and said she got to work and now the car won’t start. She came out after her shift and it started. She them goes to the auto parts store and the replaced the battery. When I get home she asked me to listen to her car because it sounds funny. I grabbed my volt meter and hooked it up. She started it and the meter read 11.87 VDC. I had her pull it into the garage so I could take the alternator off. This is a 2008 Chevy Malibu. What a pain in the.  She and her boyfriend go to town to pick up one and dinner. After dinner I installed the new one and put the meter on it. Success. 14.5 VDC. It took about 2 hours work to do it. At least I got dinner out of it. 

• Like 4

I know all about it. I have taught my sons as much as possible about car repairs and maintenance. At every opportunity  I just “assist” them. I wander around in the garage and sorta see what they are up to and answer any questions. I coach them but they have the coveralls on and grease under their fingernails.

Except sometimes it’s mid term, or final exam season. Or tax season when the other son is super busy at work. They have no time. Then their car needs work. I take the repair on myself and get it done. I don’t mind helping them out. Especially when they have made an effort to learn for  themselves too. 

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Dads that can wrench are a godsend!  I like to think of myself as a pretty accomplished guy around a garage or tool bag but also a busy single parent... I would get nothing done without father pushing the rope.  If I take it apart in the evening or over the weekend, it magically goes back together while I am working or playing with kids.  I end up cooking a lot of dinners for my parents. Living on the same block helps. 

• Like 3

Good for you on getting the alternator back in on unfamiliar territory and not being at home in your own garage.

I despise FWD cars and the complete lack of room there is when you need to work on something.

• Like 1