How old is it ?

Keith Magan

According to the Encyclopedia of Antique Cars,  the Custer Specialty Co. was located in Dayton, Ohio. The Custer was advertised as the "smallest car on earth". Custer continued to make cars for the handicapped and amusement parks until 1946. I don't think the wheels and tires on the above pictures are the originals though.

• Like 1

Well, I just Googled "Custer Car" and I stand corrected on the wheels and tires. Your car might be one of the later cars, that was made for an amusement park. Also, the absence of any headlights might be another clue. It looks like an easy restoration. I wonder what class the AACA would put it in, and if it's eligible to be displayed? I think it would be a fun project!

The wheels are original with Custer Car hub caps . The headlights may or may not be original. The electrical switches are copper contacts on wooden blocks. One of the Custer Plank Cars in the Eisenhower Museum is a much later model and different.  There are pictures of the metal Custer cars in Washington, D.C. and New York City with license plates. 

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab.jpg

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

They are amusement park cars.   The later ones with the gas engines are much more sophisticated. 

Probably also used in large factories, etc.  I imagine some of them may have had small trailers attached to restock parts on assembly lines.

Craig