Loco pics

bubba

• 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

Some picture of a 1917 Model 48 at Pebble Beach in 2007. Body by deCausse-Healy.

Don't know if you'd call this a roadster, decapotable coupe, or cabriolet. Seems to have done O.K. at the Concours!

Locomobile Model-48 deCausse-Healey 1917

source: allcarcentral.com

That is COOL!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Not to be argumentative, but that doesn't look like him, he had a wide head shape. That's probably him in the right front. This pic was taken around 1902-3. The car looks to be a Stanley, Locomobile, grout or Conrad.

The woman in the foreground resembles him, probably a family member.

Here he is in 1915

GeorgeEliWhitney1915.gif

(looks like he's wearing the same suit 😁)

Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 1

From the huge hard bound dealer's album for the NY City dealer Emlen Spencer Hare, who had his showroom just west of Columbus Circle at the SW corner of Central Park. All the photos in this album are mounted on linen and are hard to copy because of the size of the pages. I found and bought the showroom album some years ago online - it was in Texas! How it got from NY City to Texas is unknown, kind of an awkward piece to get any where! A detailed story will eventually appear on the whole luxury car industry, promotion, sales export /import etc. within the next year or so.

Keep in mind that the photos of the 1912-1919 era were all taken with glass plate negatives that were usually about 8 x 10 inches and had a very slow exposure time element . Central Park was a perfect location for many photo sessions for automobile manufacturers and custom coach work firms.

Locomobiledualcowl 1917.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Locomobile said:

Not to be argumentative, but that doesn't look like him, he had a wide head shape. That's probably him in the right front. This pic was taken around 1902-3. The car looks to be a Stanley, Locomobile, grout or Conrad.

The woman in the foreground resembles him, probably a family member.

Here he is in 1915

GeorgeEliWhitney1915.gif

(looks like he's wearing the same suit 😁)

Ron

You are correct George is in front right. The woman next to the canoe is Anna Whitney.

This photo has members of the Chase and Whitney families and Mrs Thursby who is sitting closest to the Ida F.908662931_postcard306(2).jpg.bfb0ca729901f1f0e17db04742e7174a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live five houses down from where George Whitney lived on Big Island Pond.

This is what his stone jetty looks like today. He built it in the early 1900's for the Ida F.

George built 95 boats but only two boats for himself. The Olive, 1882 named for his mother and The Ida F. 1900 named for his daughter.

20210409_145429.jpg

• Like 2

It appears that at Big Island Pond, it is cold enough that your trees are not quite out in leaf yet.  It looks like a very pretty area.  Is the Whitney shore line home still standing or has it been replaced?  What river is this lake tied to?

Al

21 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

It appears that at Big Island Pond, it is cold enough that your trees are not quite out in leaf yet.  It looks like a very pretty area.  Is the Whitney shore line home still standing or has it been replaced?  What river is this lake tied to?

Al

The only thing left from Whitney is a shed that has collapsed. No one has been in there since the 1970's at least. I have spoken to the owner about a tour this month. I don't think there is anything in there. Georges first camp burned down and he rebuilt it. I have the receipt for when the machine shop equipment was sold off. I also have the Engine to Olive that was used at Island pond to run the machine shop. Formerly of the Henry Ford Museum.

The lake is still low. Boating season starts in June. The output is the start of the Spiggot or Spicket river.

20210312_231437.jpg

20210312_231455.jpg

20210310_182715.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-11 Photo - MS-1130_1-4_goulet pdf.png

Olive Engine 2.jpg

Edited by tom1356 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This Locomobile is equipped with the Gray and Davis side lights also, at least to my eyes. I wish we could see the profile of the horn just a bit better.  It does also have the proper square Rushmore carbide generator.  It is nice to glean any scraps of confirming information from photographs like this one!

Al

• 1 month later...