26 S70 flywheel removal

impacsys

there does not seem to be enough clearance to remove the flywheel. the 5 bolts holding it on can't be backed out, not enough clearance. The flywheel itself can't be moved, not enough clearance. I hope I am doing something wrong.....

Please advise and Happy New Year!!!

20191231_161652.jpg

20191231_161706.jpg

Is there ONE location that lets you tap the bolt forward ?

If not you're going to have to pull the rear main cap.

Since the mains are babbitt, take care with the shims on each side

DON'T forget to mark the crank flange and flywheel so she goes back "timed" right.

A punch mark on each will do the job.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

thanks Flyer and maok...... i did not see a location to tap bolts through. will check again. if not a shitty design!!

it appears i can drop the oil pan and remove the rear main cap. i am hoping maok is wrong :)

does the flywheel have a ring gear? I have many broken teeth thus the effort.

Happy New Year!!!!

Just looking at your second picture, it sure seem that the ring gear teeth ARE cut into the flywheel itself.

A good machine shop can cut the flywheel and fit a ring gear, but you need to count the teeth and be sure the diameter of the replacement is the same, for starter gear engagement.

This is not a cheap project ................

Wish you well.................

Mike in Colorado

From the pic posted, the ring gear don't look terrible, I've seen alot worse.

Unfortunately, you will need to pull it out with the crank. I did an over haul on my '28 engine last summer, which looks to be the same as yours, I could not get the flywheel out without pulling it 'up' (it was on an engine stand upside down) with the crank. Be careful, it's very heavy, especially together with the crank.

Maok,

I still have to strip and overhaul my G70 motor (its been sitting since 58 and full of dirt) and know the flywheel will not come off easily, but two questions.

1). If you remove just the rear main cap, can you then tap the flywheel bolts out forwards where the main cap was? Obviously to get all the bolts out you will have to rotate the motor.

2). Assuming the flywheel bolts can be removed as above, is it then possible to remove the flywheel ??

For impacsys problem with the ring gear teeth being badly damaged. Yes the flywheel can be turned to fit a new ring gear, but as FLYER15015  states above, make sure the new gear is IDENTICAL in outside diameter and that the number of teeth is the same BEFORE you do any machining. I had a model 52 years ago and my machine shop convinced me that a gear of same diameter with one extra tooth would work fine, well it did crank it, but it sounded like a concrete mixer. I was lucky enough to find another flywheel and it solved the problem.

If you cannot find an identical gear then get a good machine shop to weld up the areas with missing/broken teeth and have them recut the teeth.

Viv

attached is pic showing missing teeth. Did these not come with a ring gear from factory? I have the been told by many that they did, and to remove have to heat gears with torch.

bottom line if the crank has to removed and flywheel machined, it is time for a new owner.....

anyone interested, cheap? recent full paint, powder coated near everything underneath. What remains is this flywheel thing, interior and wiring. It is now wired to run.

20191223_120726.jpg

As usual for these old girls, if a buyer gets it for nothing, he/she will likely lose money finishing a restoration and re-selling (2K on engine, 3K on interior, another 2K-3K incidentals, leave paint "as is"), and then selling for $8K. I'm guessing value to a tinkerer is under $5K.

Its interesting that the ring gears don't seem to have a bevel cut.

Does your starter have the correct pinion gear? It may have had the bendix changed and has the incorrect number of tooth on it.

If it starts okay, without too much crunching on the non damaged gears, you could mark the balancer of where the damaged section is on the flywheel and rotate the engine by hand to avoid the damage gears before starting.

10 hours ago, viv w said:

Maok,

I still have to strip and overhaul my G70 motor (its been sitting since 58 and full of dirt) and know the flywheel will not come off easily, but two questions.

1). If you remove just the rear main cap, can you then tap the flywheel bolts out forwards where the main cap was? Obviously to get all the bolts out you will have to rotate the motor.

2). Assuming the flywheel bolts can be removed as above, is it then possible to remove the flywheel ??

1) Yes

2)  I could not do it.

Let us know how you go with it.

My car has a shrink fit ring gear fitted, I just wonder if it is having the right number of teeth. Counted 114  and 11 on the bendix. OD of the ring gear is appr 392mm. 

Car is a 1929 type 65, ring gear is a bit damaged but not too bad.

Anybody has a ideas on how many teeth on the stock flywheel and what is the OD

Thnx

Chris

it must have been added in a later stage, i have the feeling the bendix is a bit too close to the ring gear. that's why i like to know how many teeth are on the machined gears , the engine is a 195ci. 

On 1/6/2020 at 3:51 AM, cdb said:

My car has a shrink fit ring gear fitted, I just wonder if it is having the right number of teeth. Counted 114  and 11 on the bendix. OD of the ring gear is appr 392mm. 

Car is a 1929 type 65, ring gear is a bit damaged but not too bad.

Anybody has a ideas on how many teeth on the stock flywheel and what is the OD

Thnx

Chris

So here is picture of the fly wheel and ring gear out of my 1929 Chrysler 65 it’s a shrink fit phot is pretty self explanatory. Also included a photo of the numbers stamped on it. It has 114 teeth and 11 on the bendix but the OD of the ring gear measures at 367 mm approx. I will try and look at the other motor I have here during the day. Hopefully this helps Cheers Ben

7C73B318-BE6D-4690-BDA1-F7823BB00283.jpeg

833CA608-B48E-4F4C-AAE0-AF7C7DFF0DAB.jpeg

5 hours ago, impacsys said:

did you have to remove crank to remove flywheel?

I don't think my 26 Chrysler Six has a ring gear. it appears teeth are machined in to flywheel.

I’m pretty sure I had to at least remove the rear main cap to get the fly wheel of but it’s a while ago but I do remember some expletives when I saw the arrangement.

made a misitake measuring, 367mm od is the same as mine, can confirm it can't be removed with the bolts in place. lifted the cranckshaft with fly wheel on when rebuilding the engine.

thanks to Ben for checking the flywheel.

chris

• Like 1