• Front and rear semi-elliptic leaf springs
  • Bendix hydraulic brakes
  • Polished engine side pipes
  • Flying Goddess hood mascot
  • Spotlight
  • Ab Jenkins certified 100.7 miles per hour dash plaque
  • Wide Whitewall tires
  • Chrome full wheel covers

The 1935 Auburn 851SC Speedster was E.L. Cord’s last-ditch effort at saving the Auburn Automobile Company he had rescued from the ashes in 1924 at just 30 years old. Today examples such as this rare right-hand drive 851SC occupy the upper strata of prewar American classic automobiles. With the company reeling from the Great Depression just three years after record sales, Cord ordered designer Gordon Buehrig and Chief Engineer Augie Duesenberg to the Auburn, Indiana, factory to produce a new supercharged speedster to boost Auburn’s image and attract new buyers to its showrooms. An older restoration, this example’s red coachwork, hand-hammered over wooden bucks, shows off the raked split windscreen, pontoon fenders, chromed bullet headlights, polished side pipes and high rear crown that are signature features of Buehrig’s design; the Flying Lady mascot is but one of a variety of decorative trim items customers could choose, another of which is this car’s driver-side cowl-mounted moveable spotlight with hand control. The Speedster’s supercharged Lycoming 280 CI inline 8-cylinder engine, a single-plate dry clutch and 3-speed transmission occupy a robust chassis incorporating semi-elliptical springs, lever shocks, Bendix hydraulic brakes and a 2-speed rear end with semi-floating axles, carrying on the Auburn tradition of power and resilience. Wide whitewall tires and chromed full wheel covers emphasize the style and streamlined elegance of this wonderful machine. The finely crafted interior features tan leather upholstery, a 120 MPH speedometer and 5,000 RPM tachometer, oil, temperature, fuel and amp gauges, and an in-dash clock. Like all Auburn Speedsters, this car carries a custom engraved dash plaque indicating the top speed—100.7 MPH—attained at the Auburn Automobile Company test track during pre-delivery road testing. Each Speedster was test driven by race driver Ab Jenkins, who amassed a string of official records in the new Speedster.

3 hours ago, A. Ballard 35R said:

There's a lot more I'd be concerned about other than cosmetic detailing. As pointed out on another thread there is a lot about the marque and painfully little on the particular car and its provenance.

Its only money...........besides, it’s at an auction........the car MUST be pure.......can’t wait to see the video of the girls with big boobs jumping up and down getting bid’s from a balding gray haired guy that has had a few too many martinis. Then we can all jump up and clap for him and slap him on the back. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Since this is not really a for sale thread,  I'll take the liberty of going off topic a bit.   This car is also selling in January but at World Wide in Scottsdale.   Has a reproduction data plate which is unfortunate,  but is LHD and they have provided a little more history.

https://worldwideauctioneers.com/car-details/?id=71&rid=9

image.thumb.png.64ce66f15fa42ff0750fc7e4d9ad8cbf.png

This car (via Chuck Morgan estate) has done well in Indianapolis Region CCCA - well worth researching as to history and ... 

As a sidenote:  I defy anyone to ever show me a 1935 or 1936 Auburn Boattail factory photo without wheel disks over the wire wheels. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1950panhead said:

6-1574721959960.jpg

My opinion:  Pretty decent car all the way around - this one is also worth doing the homework on and could be what you really want in a Boattail 

A plenty of "little" detail things under hood need attention as to correctness,  but all things considered they are very minor (excepting proper radiator caps are near unobtainium and a proper coil takes resourcefulness to get rebuilt).

It could also really use a more appropriate pressure line on the oil filter and black spark plug wires.  

The vacuum canister on the cowl is not correct - I am guessing they are having trouble drawing vacuum for the Columbia axle or wipers. 

Notice the crude welds on the cowl - they are correct !

May even sport a honeycomb radiator 

Also, notice that it sports a set of Double Whitewall tires - pretty rare as expensive and made only in limited numbers on limited occasions.

Get researching !!!

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

This car (via Chuck Morgan estate) has done well in Indianapolis Region CCCA - well worth researching as to history and ... 

As a sidenote:  I defy anyone to ever show me a 1935 or 1936 Auburn Boattail factory photo without wheel disks over the wire wheels. 

I'll one up you,  and I think our resident Auburn expert Curt might disagree with me, but show me any period picture of any 35/36 Auburn with wheels that were dipped in chrome.    Also, the Budd snap on spokes were a period accessory dating to the early 30s,  but not a factory option.  I

BuddSnapOnSpokePatent.png

• Like 1

The 1934 Cadillac V-16 had chrome welded spoke wheels under the covers - the so called "experts" were real quick to point out their expertise, but they were wrong (the plating was original and car had them from day one) - that being said even the best wheel experts shook their head and said they had no idea how they would ever restore them.  And, they would never have survived if they were not on an incredibly well preserved car from new - which most of the plating was original still. 

As to Auburn - I think I have seen perhaps one factory photo of a 1935 with chrome wheels (but I do not have that photo in my library).  An 851 and 852 would like the Cadillac have a welded spoke wire wheel - not conducive to plating. 

As to the Budd spoke covers - I think someone made them in the 70's or early 80's (I once had a ACD Bulletin in my hand that had an advertisement for  them).  I do have an 852 parked in the storage building and they would look great on it - I would not mind a set. 

003.thumb.jpg.e42fadb21bac16d34dcabe61f305af74.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

As to the Budd spoke covers - I think someone made them in the 70's or early 80's (I once had a ACD Bulletin in my hand that had an advertisement for  them).  I do have an 852 parked in the storage building and they would look great on it - I would not mind a set.

I'm a close relative to that guy.

• Like 2

I am a bit foggy in my memory on this ,  but I think about 30-40 years ago there was a Auburn like this in England for sale and it was painted white . It may have appeared in the British magazine Motor Sport at the time. I just don't have the time to try and search to find other information and details, but I am certain there was a RHD car like this and know the color was white and it got repainted  to another color.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:15 PM, alsancle said:

There is the RHD one that was discovered in the Philippines. That was in a bunch of magazines 10 years ago.

Could be same car - I do not recall that I saw the  Phil Bray restored car post restoration - he usually showed at Indiana CCCA grand Classics, but thinking Auburn was only showed in Michigan Grand Classics ?  This particular car for auction is very nice, it just suffered from Florida humidity (but you buy an Auburn Boattail for such as original wood, matching numbers, how solid it was prior to restoration, and ... - preaching to the choir on this as you(AJ) have already been preaching what a good one is).   Again, I encourage people to get researching this one.

• 2 weeks later...