Weird Bumper Bolt

Bloo

Have you guys seen anything like this? Note that there is no square shoulder to register the bolt. It is 1936 Pontiac, and the holes in the bumper are round, not square. It is a 7/16" bolt, and the bolt head is slightly less than 1" (but more than 15/16").

Is this a normal part that I can buy somewhere? Just checking before I resort to making one.

i6WHtMq.jpg

2t8Yalx.jpg

0j7oSG8.jpg

Under the head has a little projection that catches inside the bumper hole when tightening the nut ??? To clean the nut and bolt dunk in vaporust for 2 days. Comes out clean as a whistle. Some folks use kitchen vinegar. ??? The bumper bolts on my 1928 DB  are similar except they are 6 inches long.

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen them for other makes with that rib under the bolt head to attach the bumper ends to a backing bar or chassis bracket.

On bumpers with rolled ends the rib gets captured by the slight gap where the rolled end does not quite form a completely closed eye.

Paul

P1010017.JPG

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ArticiferTom said:

Their  on ebay . Called chromed capped 7/16 bolt ,  1-1/4"  or other lengths . They have both square under shoulder like carriage or round . Of coarse any grinder can fix the square .

Got a link? I searched quite a bit on the Internet before posting here. I found only the expected square shouldered bolts. Yesterday afternoon I ordered a square shouldered bumper bolt (AuVeCo 3099) to modify, just in case nothing turns up here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar bolts on my bumper.  There was some rust on them and that "bead of metal" under the head was a little smaller than original.  The bead catches in the gap at the rolled end of the bumper.  I took my wire feed welder and gave the existing bead just a little more metal.  Then I sent the parts off to the plater.  

I would suggest that you not try to match the existing bolt as they are not great and good luck finding a match.  

I would look for stainless carriage bolts (www.bolt depot.com or Albany county fasteners.)  Take a grinder and grind off 3 of the squares.  

Another option would be to chuck the bolts in a lathe to turn the square round, and then use a wire fed welder to put the tab under the head.  I believe even an inexpensive wire feed welder that is normally used for steel would still melt a metal tab into the stainless and it would be unnoticed under the head. 

Hugh

IMG_7743.thumb.JPG.e20362221715c31c63683bb87f1d1097.JPG1210818001_2017-07-0313_19_20.thumb.jpg.aaf940ec4e20f51f890ae7a73af4b93f.jpg

• Like 1